Thread: Naming

Angry Naming

Finding a name that is not stupid or just random letters is nearly impossible. Many other MMOs allow the use of a space or - or even ALT characters to help with this issue. I have returned to the game after being away for some time and most all of my characters require a rename. I just want to enjoy playing the game, but spending hours trying to get a name when every one I try is taken and when I get frustrated and pound keys it's invalid. This is ridiculous, Guess they don't really want my subscription money with the naming restrictions in place.

Quote Originally Posted by kasumi90 View Post
    Finding a name that is not stupid or just random letters is nearly impossible. Many other MMOs allow the use of a space or - or even ALT characters to help with this issue. I have returned to the game after being away for some time and most all of my characters require a rename. I just want to enjoy playing the game, but spending hours trying to get a name when every one I try is taken and when I get frustrated and pound keys it's invalid. This is ridiculous, Guess they don't really want my subscription money with the naming restrictions in place.
    Yeah naming here in AoC is pain in the a** because there are so many "dead toons" that haven't been played for years but occupy a lot of names and to top that you can only use these "one word names" without any dash symbol and so on.
    But sometimes I see players that have symbols in their names, not sure how that works but I saw " ' * and ~ in names already.

Quote Originally Posted by kasumi90 View Post
    It's time to be creative, Kasumi90, i find dificult aswell to find a good name for my characters, most of the "good names" are already taken (and many by abandoned characters/accounts) but i don't think FC will do something about it...
    For many players it doesn't matter how the character is named but for some of us is one of the most important things , i've spent hours trying to make a good name for my characters according to their role, lore, background, etc.
    But for now, the best thing we can do is to be creative with the names we choose...

i always check this site http://www.20000-names.com/ for some inspiration, somethims i grab part of the name of one and mix it with another, or just merge it with a noun... if my character is gonna be from khitai, i search for chinese/japanese or another asian culture name, if its gonna be a cimmerian i try nordic names, etc etc.

but im sure FC wants your money, they just suck at taking it from you... lol
    Last edited by Belsvard; 1st June 2016 at 22:02.
    meh...

I use antibiotic names or disease names for most of my characters.

For my ranger, I wikipediad rangers and ended up with phyllobates, which is the genus of poison dart frogs (the ones whose back secretions are used in poison arrows)

For my Fury Bear shaman, I picked Taqukaaq, which is eskimo for grizzly bear

Cheyletiella, Clostridium, Ehrlichia are all diseases

Amikacin, Clavamox, Augmentin are antibiotics (and healers)

Telazol is an injectable anesthetic (demo)

And then there are the yorkies...

Yorkies (guard)

Yorkiepoo (fury guard: poodle/yorkie mix)

Yorkielikjs (necro: likjs is a misspelling of liche)

Yorkiepug (third bear: pug yorkie mix)

Antivenome (twitting venom who made a Yorkietartar (sic) to bug me)

and so on...

You can write an ingame petition and ask GM to free the name what you want to pick if the character which owns it isnt active. It takes about 10 min for GM to do that. I have done it about 20 times and wasnt declined even once.
    Last edited by Jerohn; 1st June 2016 at 23:11.

I've not found it too difficult to get a name that I'm happy with. Once I've settled on the one I want for that character, slight changes in how it is spelt usually finds me an unused name in a couple of tries.
    eg I want Arthur - common name..so likely to be used - how about arthurr ..arthuir ...arthuer...arthqur...you get my point...

Never had a problem.

Not to say that I've always gotten my first choice, but I've never had a hard time coming up with an alternative - maybe years of reffing D&D helps.

Let's see - my first character is Gordobas; the same name I used for my hobbit in LotRO -- though, I 've let that game slide since getting hooked on AoC.
    Then there's Ghorum, Shirelli (a modification of an ex-girlfriend's name; though she died a couple of years ago), Rhaesus, Helminia, Amarellya, Gomiko and Camramdir - another borrow from my elf in LotRO.

A simple solution for this would be applying part of the "merger-rules" to accounts/characters that have not logged on for more than 999 days (random-number) and adding 8 numbers to the end of the character name.
    When someone returns he has ofcourse the option for a free name change.
    Xiuhcoatl, Xipil, Udiya, Zhoerong lvl 80 HoXes .... multi-speccing?
    Gorgophone lvl 80 Barb, Kheiron lvl 80 PoM (Heal?), Uruloki lvl 80 Demo (Nub), Berenike lvl 80 Conq (retired.) All raised on Hyrkania RP-PVE (R.I.P.) server.

[undisclosed] lvl 80 HoX (!), Marbhaisgort lvl 80 Necro (fresh), Chahwuk (ToS)/Merav(Necro) lvl5x (for when I get to do Purist-achievements) Cromites.

Membership valid until 2018-03-16 20:02:55 Got tricked again 2015-12-14

Quote Originally Posted by Anubium View Post
    I use antibiotic names or disease names for most of my characters.

For my ranger, I wikipediad rangers and ended up with phyllobates, which is the genus of poison dart frogs (the ones whose back secretions are used in poison arrows)

For my Fury Bear shaman, I picked Taqukaaq, which is eskimo for grizzly bear

Cheyletiella, Clostridium, Ehrlichia are all diseases

Amikacin, Clavamox, Augmentin are antibiotics (and healers)

Telazol is an injectable anesthetic (demo)
    Nifty.