Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armor/Spell Penetration

Default Armor/Spell Penetration

Does anybody know exactly how this works? How much armor/spell penetration equals dps, etc?

Armor/spell penetration is tied to equiping T6 gear so I'm wondering exactly what "extra" dps we are getting for replacing T5 and T4 gear, not to mention the rune for clearing T6 is armor/spell penetration.

Also, does the armor/spell penetration buffs apply to every enemy NPC in game or just specific to T6?
    Last edited by Texan615; 21st April 2016 at 21:56.

As far as i know is as simple as this -> 1 point of pen bypasses one point of existing armor/prot .IF the boss/mob/player w/e is already debuffed below 1 there is nothing to bypass so there is no gain.Meaning those are meaningful in t5/6 ,maybe the latest dungeons and arguably in t4 but we cannot see the values there.As to how much dps you gain i don't have the numbers,from what i can see it helps in t5/6 and that's it .Now to how many pieces its worth to use in t6 depending on stats etc i am using 5(so bonus from 4) on my sin because the terrible stats on some minor ones,making it 6 some times but i don't see any major difference there. Armor and prot amounts were never what made the difference anyway ,its mostly invunerabilities and multiplier stacking stats.
    Last edited by -Shink-; 21st April 2016 at 22:53.

Just going to throw in some numbers from spell penetration. It's way easier to test actual increase with a caster than on a meele.

Tests all done with 100% crit + inflict maximum damage spellweave buffs. Start sw > pick crit > pick inflict maximum dmg > leave sw > spell.
    As I wanted to see the actual increase Im using same gear only altering buffs/runes/AA to increase my penetration. Below you can find my findings. +570 penetration seems to roughly give 9.64% damage increase, at least for me with 2455 magic dmg and +35.0% crit dmg rating. That 'should' make full spell pen buff give you an increase of roughly 20% damage.

I decided to only try one combination without crit just to see the % and it seems to be very identical.

Keep in mind that you cant penetrate below 0 armor/protection.
    If boss have more than 2445 protection then it's worth to have 8 pieces + rune running. 8 pieces + rune = 1195 spell penetration. Torment (1250)+gear(1195)=2445.
    If boss have more than 6250 armor then it's worth to have 8 pieces + rune running. 8 pieces + rune = 1750 armor penetration. Torment (4500)+gear(1750)=6250.

This.. according to my list nails it down to one boss in t6 where it's not worth going full t6 with penetration buffs etc. And that's Zelandra. She got 5000 armor.. But for a caster.. There is simply no boss in either t5 or t6 that have too low amount of protection. Lowest in t6 is Zelandra with 4000, second lowest is one of the unicorns with 5000 and then heng with 6500. Looking into t5 you have 6000 armor being the lowest on Yakhmar, champion probably got even lower but I havent fully documented the buff change at 15%. And the lowest protection is on champion with an amount of 6000 protection...

Now we can guess, is the step from t5 to t4 half? If it is.. That nails it down to 3000 and is within reach for a caster to benefit from full t6 with the rune running.
    If the lowest amount of armor in T4 and below is half of the lowest in t5 then... it's around 3000 and would not even benefit from full torment debuff which is highly unlikely. The armor got to be at least 4500 to make it 0 with full torment debuff.

That should make things more clear.
    Fass
    Professional northmen slayer of saga
    {Circle of Eternity}

Is there any point to use the T6 rune in T1-T3 raid's speed runs? Or is it better to use rune for the sub offer?
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Thanks for the numbers Fass, that's useful.
    Kaleeh PoM - Resolved Guard - Reducia Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Fass View Post
    Just going to throw in some numbers from spell penetration. It's way easier to test actual increase with a caster than on a meele.

Keep in mind that you cant penetrate below 0 armor/protection.
    If boss have more than 2445 protection then it's worth to have 8 pieces + rune running. 8 pieces + rune = 1195 spell penetration. Torment (1250)+gear(1195)=2445.
    If boss have more than 6250 armor then it's worth to have 8 pieces + rune running. 8 pieces + rune = 1750 armor penetration. Torment (4500)+gear(1750)=6250.
    Any idea how this interacts with Wrecks and Ruins? I know they somehow work on targets with no armor/protection like Strawman, but say 8 pieces + rune + torments bring a boss down to 0 armor/protection. Will then the Wreck and Ruin cause it to take 25% extra damage, or are the Wrecks and Ruins calculated before the penetration, so that the boss reaches 0 armor/protection without the penetration, making (some of) your penetration stats wasted?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    Any idea how this interacts with Wrecks and Ruins? I know they somehow work on targets with no armor/protection like Strawman, but say 8 pieces + rune + torments bring a boss down to 0 armor/protection. Will then the Wreck and Ruin cause it to take 25% extra damage, or are the Wrecks and Ruins calculated before the penetration, so that the boss reaches 0 armor/protection without the penetration, making (some of) your penetration stats wasted?
    Wracks and ruins works beyond 0. You can test this in a duel by going low on armor then trying out all debuffs. Since I've already done this I can tell you it puts your mitigation percentage to a negative.
    Fass
    Professional northmen slayer of saga
    {Circle of Eternity}

Quote Originally Posted by Fass View Post
    Wracks and ruins works beyond 0. You can test this in a duel by going low on armor then trying out all debuffs. Since I've already done this I can tell you it puts your mitigation percentage to a negative.
    Thanks, that's useful to know.

Wrecks and Ruins debuff invulnerability and not the protection/armor, that can go negative.
    Hungry Bear.
    Chamacappa - Happyshamie - Sekmheth - Oyako - Nexoxcho - and an other dozen of cripples !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast