Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming back this weekend to try AOC again

Default Coming back this weekend to try AOC again

Hi Conan fans,

This weekend I'm going to be starting a new character in the game since I'm not playing much else at the moment and really enjoy MMO's and playing new characters. I bought the game when it got first released and the expansion sometime later. but didn't have much free time back then to put into the game. So would anyone help me out by answering a few questions I have please?

1: Is there such a thing as a "basic" class? Something not too complex to play. I like ranged classes like Ranger etc.

2: How does it effect the player being F2P? Does it limit the leveling process in anyway?

3: Back in the day I remember doing a very small amount of crafting. How is the crafting/gathering system these days?

4: Can I still claim the rewards linked to my account from pre order etc?

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Flamecrest View Post
    Hi Conan fans,

This weekend I'm going to be starting a new character in the game since I'm not playing much else at the moment and really enjoy MMO's and playing new characters. I bought the game when it got first released and the expansion sometime later. but didn't have much free time back then to put into the game. So would anyone help me out by answering a few questions I have please?

1: Is there such a thing as a "basic" class? Something not too complex to play. I like ranged classes like Ranger etc.

2: How does it effect the player being F2P? Does it limit the leveling process in anyway?

3: Back in the day I remember doing a very small amount of crafting. How is the crafting/gathering system these days?

Many thanks!
    1: Ranger or Demo (but you'll miss the combo system with these two classes. Combo system is one outstanding and fun feature of aoc)
    2: Practically no limitations while leveling
    3: crafting is more or less obsolete
    4: yes

Play a melee class, because combos and fatality animations. Barb, conq, guard, dt, HoX, sin.
    I don't think there's a basic class, but i would advise barb for a newcomer, because it's easy for everything and rather straight forward, and since it's a dps class, you're not expected to tank or heal.

F2P has no effect on leveling, you can't stack up a lot of gold and don't have a lot of inventory space, but frankly, you don't need that before you're lvl 80 and get into raiding.
    So yeah, F2P for leveling, no problem.
    Plus, FC is, supposedly, revamping the whole model right now, so maybe they'll come up with something which is actually good, who knows.

Same as before, it's mostly useless for raiders and dungeonners. But for someone leveling and F2P, i would say there are a good number of very useful things you can get from it.

I believe so, but not sure.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm downloading the game at the moment. I've still got the AOC on DVD but wasn't sure how many patches have been since, so I just did the download anyway!

Going back to crafting. I like the sound of the Alchemist, so might give that a try.

As I play over the weekend, I'll pop back in this thread and update how I'm getting on.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm downloading the game at the moment. I've still got the AOC on DVD but wasn't sure how many patches have been since, so I just did the download anyway!

Going back to crafting. I like the sound of the Alchemist, so might give that a try.

As I play over the weekend, I'll pop back in this thread and update how I'm getting on.
    Wouldn't be a problem to install the game from the DVD, for people with slow internet it's actually useful since you don't have to download a big chunk of the game.
    But for idiots like me who have the german version of the game and still install the game from the DVD Fatalities are not accessible xD Even though the game is uncut for everyone now. (And yes, logging in with international account on german game version does not work)

Alchemist crafting is the best thing to go with since you can make some decent buff food on level 80 that you can sell for good money or even use yourself.

As for classes: Ranger or Demo would be the best choice like Hedge already said. But don't expect great gameplay, especially the ranger got dumbed down to a point it's not a bit like the old ranger.

The only important thing to mention during F2P leveling is that you don't get AA points per level (1 expertise point per level) and they can be very useful if you go to khitai with a level 80 character since you can get the important AA talents for your class already and don't have to farm hours as some place filler in groups.
    Last edited by xCodename; 27th May 2016 at 14:15.

Quote Originally Posted by xCodename View Post
    Wouldn't be a problem to install the game from the DVD, for people with slow internet it's actually useful since you don't have to download a big chunk of the game.
    But for idiots like me who have the german version of the game and still install the game from the DVD Fatalities are not accessible xD Even though the game is uncut for everyone now. (And yes, logging in with international account on german game version does not work)

Alchemist crafting is the best thing to go with since you can make some decent buff food on level 80 that you can sell for good money or even use yourself.
    Buff food sounds good! Are the professions still picked up at level 40? Or has that changed? I remember there being a quest for them.

Buff food sounds good! Are the professions still picked up at level 40? Or has that changed? I remember there being a quest for them.
    Yes they are still for level 40 players. The ressource gathering jobs can be started at level 20.

Thanks. I can recall the gathering skill being picked up earlier.

Another question! If I pick alchemy, do the materials needed for it still drop off of mobs or do I gather them now?

Another question! If I pick alchemy, do the materials needed for it still drop off of mobs or do I gather them now?
    Crafting materials always drop from mobs (like iron silk from level 70 - 80 mobs and so on). Some mobs drop these alchemist bags that you can open, they drop some random alchemist stuff. Some alchemist items even come from other ressource gathering jobs as far as I know (like some kind of salt from gathering stones or metals). And then there are special alchemist items like this blood that drops from demons on level 70 - 80 (I don't know the english name right now, but it used for the best food that you can craft at level 80).

You only need the gathering jobs for the metal nodes or stone piles where your character actually uses his pickaxe to gather them. (like sandstone, gold ore and so on)

So, even a character with no profession / gathering job can still get a full inventory of ressources (but more likely leather, silk and alchemist items since you can't farm sandstone or gold ore from nodes and so on).
    Last edited by xCodename; 27th May 2016 at 14:35.

Most of them are drops. Might be a few that you get through gathering.

There have been not been much chang to crafting since you left.
    Long ago Funcom promised a major crafting overhaul, but that got more and more delayed until they eventually officially dropped it due to no longer having the developer resources needed to finish it and make it good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast