Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit Master's Arena is on TL (REPORT)

Default Pit Master's Arena is on TL (REPORT)

Here is the post:

uncom Official Feedback Thread: Pit Master's Arena
    This is the official feedback thread for the Pit Master's Arena! This new area allows players to challenge their pets, as well as other players, in head to head combat.

The entrance to the Pit Master's Arena can be found in the Fields of the Dead. For convenience, we've added a door to the Testlive Lobby that will take players right to this entrance.

Once inside, players will find a vendor named Ciaran the Kennel Master, who offers a couple of things to assist with testing:

* Mark of the Pit Master: This can be purchased and consumed to increase your faction rank with the Pit Master's Arena
    * One Metric Ton of Pets: Purchasing and consuming this will temporarily increase your inventory, and give you a large number of pets. Please be aware that the inventory increase is temporary, and this will not assist in meeting the requirements to learn all of the pets. We strongly recommend that you learn all of the pets you are able to, and discard the rest before changing zones.

For the purposes of allowing everyone to test without needing to wait for others to finish, we have temporarily set this playfield up to spawn a new instance for each player that enters. If you wish to test the PvP battles, please use the Instance Selector near the minimap to join another players instance.

We look forward to hearing your feedback, and please let us know about any issues you encounter.

Happy Testing!
    Last edited by Erelon; 03-18-2016 at 08:47 PM.

And here is my review with screens and videos:

So how is the arena? Exquisite. Like I mentioned here AOC cannot afford to make bad content. In the case of arena Funcom took previously rather bland feature (non combat pets) and turned it into fun and engaging content. I can see myself collecting more pets because of the Pit.The main idea behind arena is not only to fight but also to spectate. With how fun are different are the fights with each pet I bet everyone will want to see how player going against a very rare pet. Also I would laugh my ass off watching some scrub getting manhandled by Pleasurable Company pet or.... the kitten (yes you can fight it too!). Watching PVP is entertaining in an obvious way.

PVE Arena

Getting right to the point: when you are teleported into the arena you will have 30 seconds to summon a pet that you intend to fight. At first you will be able only to summon white and green pets but after hitting higher ranks your options will expand.

Here is the breakdown (thanks to tapwater TL forum user):

Faction Rank 0 - Fight in Sparring pits only:
    Common and Uncommon pets can be summoned.

Faction Rank 1 - Fight in Sparring pits only:
    Common, Uncommon and Rare pets can be summoned.

Faction Rank 2 - Fight in both Sparring pits and the Main Arena - Sparring pits provide no faction gain: Common, Uncommon, Rare and Epic pets can be summoned.

Faction Rank 3 - Fight in both Sparring pits and the Main Arena - Sparring pits provide no faction gain:Common, Uncommon, Rare, Epic and Legendary pets can be summoned.

Of course just bashing pets into oblivion would make for a horrible content so each pet is in fact a mini-boss. This means that pets will use special skills: there will be AOE that you have to avoid, CC to break or mechanics to figure out. Legendary and epic pets are obviously hardest, but even fighting with a green pet can have interesting and challenging. This NOTHING like the fights you are having with mobs in solo PVE.

Now for my blasphemous prophecy: you can't just queue up and keep fighting with pets and players. Since there is a single arena you will have to wait for others to finish their fights before you can have another go. I can honestly see queues getting very long on Crom and people actually going to Fury because less population = less queue time. Go Fury!

I think Funcom has a good thing going with Arena but group option cannot come fast enough!

For more go to:

http://aochideout.blogspot.com/2016/...ers-arena.html
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    :.... Since there is a single arena you will have to wait for others to finish their fights before you can have another go. I can honestly see queues getting very long on Crom ...

I think Funcom has a good thing going with Arena but group option cannot come fast enough!
    I heard rumor that it will be instanced to prevent queues ~ but maybe not at release/implementation. Any truth to that? Sounds like it could be used to Grief others if someone parks a toon in there. No Bueno.

"Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Mussagana answered this yesterday in this post.
    Short cuts make long delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzu View Post
    Mussagana answered this yesterday in this post.
    Yep, here are the relevant parts for those who can't view the Testlive thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mussagana
    Sparring pits are for the low faction, common pets. We wanted to provide a place away from the main arena so players could fight these more quickly while keeping the main arena for the more difficult encounters.

Playfields have what's called a "soft limit" and a max pop. Soft Limit is where the server will try to create a new instance rather than place you in the old one. You can still manually select an instance at and above its soft limit until it reaches the max pop. At max pop that instance becomes unavailable. Currently, the plan is to have a low soft limit and a higher max pop so that players have a good degree of control over where they play at. We want multiple instances to spawn that allow players to shift between these at will. The exact numbers are currently soft limit 12 and max pop 30, though these are definitely subject to change and we welcome any feedback with regard to that.

Oh, and these numbers are for the main arena only. The sparring pits have lower allowances (max of 6).
    I for one think those numbers sound pretty good. It will help foster a sense of community, cheering (and jeering) each other, while not causing 30+ minute queues for your turn.

And this is also nice to know:

Quote Originally Posted by Mussagana
    The current time limit is 3 minutes for both modes (PvE and PvP). The first time you kill a pet it'll give you a pretty significant amount of gold and faction, but any repeat kills give much less. This is to encourage collection and so that we can be more generous with the first time rewards. I imagine 3g per kill an infinite amount of times would break the economy pretty fast.

uncom Official Feedback Thread: Pit Master's Arena...
    Looks interesting on paper, but i see the same problem you do. It could be content for a chosen few (again) only, depending on actual execution and how blockable it is. But my main downpoints (which make it almost totally unattractive to me) are:

- grind again...
    - not player controllable and customizeable content (-> useless for rp and practice as probably the horsetrack and unlike the already existing pvp arenas)
    - scripted bossfights (i personally dislike them, because it usually means inbalanced, repetetive and unfair content. i never like it when ai "cheats" instead of getting proper conditional behaviour with random elements)

I had hoped for a reason ro collect the tons of pets, now i am not sure it is just same aoe knockback, cc immune and 75/50/25% special action bossfight chain with a different skin each time.

Is it always one pve mob against one player or are there maybe plans to expand it to one player against customizeable mobs (maybe from given by other players even) or (as i think they planned) groups of players against a tough pve mob?
    Are there ways of the onlooking crowd to influence the fight (tomatoes, cheering, cheating)? Will there be entertainment offered to the waiting crowd (bets, bars, drinks, shops etc.)?

Of course judgement also depends a bit on the looks and atmosphere and how much players can add to this. But first glance is not so encouraging...looks to me like still same design philosophy over and over...
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 21st March 2016 at 07:15.

I'm happy that something new will come! It doesnt sound to me like grind at all.

The fights are very different from each other. Fight with Priest of Ibis pet felt more like I was playing Wildstar than AOC :P It was still fun., if you are not paying attention you will die.

I enjoyed testing it for few hours. I think it will be good. the only unknown factor is how the queue will affect things on live.
    Retired

The fights are very different from each other. Fight with Priest of Ibis pet felt more like I was playing Wildstar than AOC :P It was still fun., if you are not paying attention you will die.

I enjoyed testing it for few hours. I think it will be good. the only unknown factor is how the queue will affect things on live.
    This sounds good, if the fights are short enough and actually doable without having to have the right gear and class. The hurdle should represent the effort needed to gain the pet at all: e.g. a token bought raid drop pet can require raid gear to do, but a white mouse pet for 5s shouldn't.
    I hope they can avoid the "impossible till you know the trick, too easy and grindy once you know the trick" trap in pve content design.

For Crom it will be a bit like world boss at first, i think queuewise...with lots of crashes and patches, but the official post show, that at least they had some thoughts about the instance accessability. On Fury it depends on how blockable the content is...sometimes one antisocial ranger (or a ranger pair) can ruin everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    This sounds good, if the fights are short enough and actually doable without having to have the right gear and class. The hurdle should represent the effort needed to gain the pet at all: e.g. a token bought raid drop pet can require raid gear to do, but a white mouse pet for 5s shouldn't.
    I hope they can avoid the "impossible till you know the trick, too easy and grindy once you know the trick" trap in pve content design.

For Crom it will be a bit like world boss at first, i think queuewise...with lots of crashes and patches, but the official post show, that at least they had some thoughts about the instance accessability. On Fury it depends on how blockable the content is...sometimes one antisocial ranger (or a ranger pair) can ruin everything.
    In the video I beaten Legendary Vistrix with mix of Khitai, T3 and T4 (Khitai daggers). It would be completly do-able with even pure Khitai gear or less.
    Retired

Nice. Sadly i can not view the videos
    Let's hope for the best and when it is nice content, maybe they can expand it to aquilonian, stygian and turanian arenas too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast