Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combat Monitor Ruining AoC ?

Default Combat Monitor Ruining AoC ?

When RN Combat Monitor 1st came out it was a quick way for some Guilds to get their "dog-in-the-fight" ~ that's to say that it gave some Guilds that have previously NOT been able to get through some raids to get that last piece of the puzzle to down the BOSS.

What I'm starting to see now-a-days is this TOTAL reliance on the tool. Not only the Raid-Leads using it as a crutch; but multiple players running it simultaneously in the same raid. Of course there's the discussion of lag, etc ~ so timing is off from time to time when spells are called out, etc. But it seems to me that the Players are losing site of just LEARNING the fights. And don't get me started on the fact that some "experienced" RLs only understand the fights as much as the Combat Monitor tells them. I've been in a couple raids where the PUG'r educates the RL on a mechanic that is relatively common knowledge. YIKES.

Are we, in-fact, losing the players who take the effort to know the fights? I'm beginning to see a drop off of people who simply Raid and know the tactics. I don't think I've been in a Raid in the last 2-years w/out the RL running the monitor. I feel like the monitor should be banned in a similar way as ANY other 3rd part program; farming programs or otherwise.

/off_my_soap-box

Place holder for Anzu: ********

"Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

With or without the tool, people will be lazy. You will have plenty of bad players not knowing the fight, and plenty of others who have actually learned the fights and don't need the tool.

I wouldn't blame the tool for causing people to be oblivious of game mechanics, I would blame their innate laziness. As for how it seems less and less people really know the fights these days, that is simply because vets get tired of the game and leave, as they have been for years.

I see it as a tool to help with the game.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Mustaine View Post
    .... I feel like the monitor should be banned in a similar way as ANY other 3rd part program; farming programs or otherwise.
    What about the fact that it's a 3rd party prog/app like any other that you can use in-game and has somehow been allowed?

"Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

You do realize 3rd party raiding tools are quite common in all MMO's.?

Handy tool, definitely, in particular for tanks. Less stressful than having lots of timers going, or even scripts spamming raid chats. Any player who rely solely on this tool won't have an easy time since it's often off due to kiting or other mechanics. It does help the imbeciles who can't see when to use their AA's or that need warnings for the obvious encounter mechanics.

Lets face it; Funcom doesn't do anything about violations of the terms of service and End user license agreement. You see people daily openly admitting to sharing accounts, people accessing chat via iPhones, and other such blatant violations. They will never stop the use of a raid tool like Combat monitor.

Are we running out of things to complain about?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustaine View Post
    I feel like the monitor should be banned in a similar way as ANY other 3rd part program; farming programs or otherwise.
    I don't use the combat monitor because I found its alerts annoying, but I don't see anything wrong with people using it. Unlike farming programs and other 'bots', the combat monitor doesn't actually input anything into the game for you. It is just a fancy real-time combat log parser that gives alerts in response to certain events. You can set ACT up to do basically the same thing if you want to spend enough time setting up the triggers (which requires you to know the fights). I have never heard anybody propose banning ACT or guildstats. In my opinion, which is worth approximately zero but I will give it anyway, it's completely within the rules now but if it did something like for example directly trigger your AA ability when it's needed instead of just telling you to do so then it would be over the line.

Who cares about the combat monitor, I am keenly interested in this UI that a few have that not only reveals KD but other detailed information. I would like to know what the "other information" is. It seems rather evasive to allow such a UI, which to me is arguably something borderline questionable since it's not readily available to 99.5% of the player base.

If it shows group information about who you are grouped with, coordinates and such that's a game changer in open world for first few minutes of the confrontation.
    Last edited by Suctum; 20th March 2016 at 07:24.
    Doomsayer 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast