Thread: Everquest Next ~ Canceled

Default Everquest Next ~ Canceled

Damn shame ~ that one had a lot of potential.
    "Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Harsh. Seemed that it was being scaled back but at this point I would have thought they'd release something even if it was only a shell of what they'd hoped for. Course it may be for the best that they didn't half-ass it.

Apparently not a good time for mmos in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeil View Post
    Harsh. Seemed that it was being scaled back but at this point I would have thought they'd release something even if it was only a shell of what they'd hoped for. Course it may be for the best that they didn't half-ass it.

Apparently not a good time for mmos in general.
    I am happy. The game was not EQ at all. It was just some sandbox garbage with EQ as a background. I am still not a fan of the classless, be anything you want to be style that games have become now. I think I am old, and can't think in new terms, but a game where you don't need classes sounds pretty lame. No wonder people play so selfishly now, they don't know any different and games that allow you to be your own dps, tank, buffer, and healer perpetuate that mind set.

And BTW, the cartoony graphics made it feel like WoW redux.
    Doomsayer 2008

The graphics/art style were a huge negative to me though there wasn't really a choice with it being voxel based. Maybe this can change with the sheer processing power of DX12 as can be seen in Ashes of the Singularity. I have to wonder if that was a factor in the EQNext decision, stick with the low graphic quality and release a performance challenged game that probably is not going to compete well with other new games or completely re-design the entire game, again, including the graphics, to use DX12. Brutal choice.

I was interested in the emergent AI and destructible world with truly world changing events where no two servers would be the same after a while. That could have been great though it certainly may have fallen flat on it's face too. At least they were aiming for something new and different that could have been a standard for games in the future. While I couldn't care less about housing the idea of being able to build your own, with interactive elements, in any way that you liked rather than being stuck with a few pre-defined templates and building block sets was a big draw for a lot of people as well.

The Pantheon crew just did a gameplay stream. It's literally EQ with better graphics which is something I would have wanted at one time. It was (mostly) fun the first time around but I couldn't go back to that now.

https://youtu.be/27dgUc-auwI

As per the video the animations are ph'ers atm.

Expected for a good few months now, communication had stopped a while back. The outrageous bit in this story is that Daybreak Games are still going to release Landmark as if it was a finished standalone game, whereas most players saw it as an editor/add-on for EQN.

The Pantheon crew just did a gameplay stream. It's literally EQ with better graphics which is something I would have wanted at one time. It was (mostly) fun the first time around but I couldn't go back to that now.
    I saw this and kept thinking these guys are stuck in the past. They seem to be capitalizing on the older gamers' nostalgia for EQ and the likes, and bringing very little novelty to the genre. At some point in the stream they commented on how they wanted to bring back the flavor of the text-based RPG games, which made me think, if the programmers back in the days had all the graphical and audio computing power we do have nowadays, I doubt they would have used text to communicate the situations to the players.
    Kaleeh PoM - Resolved Guard - Reducia Sin

I figured that when StoryBricks collapsed.

I , too, disliked the foolish graphics, but was willing to give that a pass when I read on how StoryBricks would be used. I was also hoping that it might come in a private server version, like Neverwinter Nights, and I could have a blast with that as my private campaign with my gaming group.

Some interesting news on the Pantheon front. Sounds like they're shooting for something a bit more modern and engaging than simply EQ with better graphics. Assuming they can make it happen of course.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/04/25/br...pax-east-2016/

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    I am happy. The game was not EQ at all. It was just some sandbox garbage with EQ as a background. I am still not a fan of the classless, be anything you want to be style that games have become now. I think I am old, and can't think in new terms, but a game where you don't need classes sounds pretty lame. No wonder people play so selfishly now, they don't know any different and games that allow you to be your own dps, tank, buffer, and healer perpetuate that mind set.

And BTW, the cartoony graphics made it feel like WoW redux.
    I would love to see a Traveller MMO which would have to be classless and level-less.

I hear you on the graphics. One of the big reasons I like AoC is because the graphics aren't cartoony. Although, some of the crossbows seem to be too big, they could use being scaled down some.

Quote Originally Posted by ckirmser View Post
    I would love to see a Traveller MMO which would have to be classless and level-less.

I hear you on the graphics. One of the big reasons I like AoC is because the graphics aren't cartoony. Although, some of the crossbows seem to be too big, they could use being scaled down some.
    Crossbows are not big enough... too small... need to get even bigger ones.

No seriously... the T4 crossbow is a f*cking ballista... even the ballista pet from Last Legion is smaller...
    Last edited by xCodename; 26th April 2016 at 15:34.

The graphics/art style were a huge negative to me...I was interested in the emergent AI and destructible world.... The Pantheon crew just did a gameplay stream. It's literally EQ with better graphics which is something I would have wanted at one time. It was (mostly) fun the first time around but I couldn't go back to that now.

https://youtu.be/27dgUc-auwI

As per the video the animations are ph'ers atm.
    While I am old enough to have learned never to say NEVER, in this case I am very tempted to do so--as in I will never again play another Brad McQuaid game! Everything I saw on the video only reinforced that feeling. I know the video is pre-alpha, but I am seeing some of the same old garbage there that would (and does) prevent me from ever going back to EQ even for a nostalgic run-through. I mean, come on, same old inventory page as EQ, with TEN inventory slots? I played EQ from 2002-2008 and Vanguard from 2007-2014 when it was shut down. So many of the things McQuaid holds dear are also some of the things that will make the game a small, niche-only game. Like grinding until your eyeballs fall out. Like the game being so stingy you must go grind even more, until your eyeballs fall out again, just for a few copper coins. Oh yeah, and then there will be the augment (adornment) that is practically required, and the only way to get it is by...you guessed it...grinding until your eyeballs fall out! No, I do not find anything fun about having to sit and wait twenty minutes because I missed the boat by five seconds.

Some interesting news on the Pantheon front. Sounds like they're shooting for something a bit more modern and engaging than simply EQ with better graphics. Assuming they can make it happen of course.
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/04/25/br...pax-east-2016/

What McQuaid says and what he does is usually two different things, and I do not believe that leopard will ever change his spots. People can curse SOE all they want about their handling of Vanguard, but the truth is that McQuaid dropped a big old turd in their lap, with a game made on a hacked-up version of the Unreal engine. Vanguard had some very good ideas and a beautiful world but, in typical McQuaid fashion, he blew through the budget like it was paper, and ended up with an unfinished game that was way beyond a very generous budget, and still would not run. Wonderful ideas, like the Diplomacy sphere, but damn, the game must run! I'll believe McQuaid is capable of change when I see it and not a second before, but from what I saw in the video, he has no intention of changing--just talking a good game!

I would not enjoy destructible items if it included things the player must build--come home from work everyday to all your labors having been erased--no thank you! The EQNext player character graphics were horrible.