Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a reason why there cant be new questlines added for variation?

Quote Originally Posted by HaremBunny View Post
    Okay, getting back on track then.
    Big O, could you please share your wisdom on the original question(s) then?
    even the community manager has nothing to add to the op question, it seems this thread was doomed since the start.

It's pretty much common knowledge that the staffing levels for the Age of Conan games have been reduced drastically from when it was first launched. This game has been notoriously slow at releasing new content taking years to introduce new raid content when competitors push out new content every year.

I'm guessing that there are very few programmers left in the game and those that are left are probably just trying to finalize the content they've been working of for the last 4 to 5 years (ie... crafting revamp.)

As far as adding new questlines, i'm assuming you are refering to questlines for leveling up. What would have been awesome for this game is if they had made each race have it's own leveling questline within it's own realms. Then we would have been able to experience 4 different leveling storylines and such. Other games have been very successful in doing this, but it would have required a lot more programming.

At this point, to add in more questing content is probably pointless. I realize that it might be nice for those just starting the game for the first time, but for those of us Vets that have stuck with the game for the last 8 years or so, the game has been and is dying for us. It's blatantly obvious when you look at the amount of guilds that can do the content in this game. There's 4 to 6 euro guilds left that can complete content and only 1 US guild left that can do just about all of it. The remaining US guilds couldn't even do T3.5 or T4 (both 5 year old content) until they were both hit with a massive nerf hammer.

At this point, I just don't see much more content coming for Age of Conan in the future outside of a crafting revamp....and that will be far too little, far too late.

In this game is really a huge quantity of quests. Personally, I really don't know anyone of them, but I guess that only a few players have explored every location in detail and fulfilled completely all quests of game. I know some veterans who have completed all the quests that are necessary for the Achievements. But it is only part of the tasks in the game.
    There are no significant differences in the implementation of one task with three options, or implementation of three interesting tasks separately. I think it is not the most important thing, which is currently lacking the game and for which it would be worth spending the last developer resources.
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Quote Originally Posted by blodgett View Post
    It's pretty much common knowledge that the staffing levels for the Age of Conan games have been reduced drastically from when it was first launched.
    As far as adding new questlines, i'm assuming you are refering to questlines for leveling up. What would have been awesome for this game is if they had made each race have it's own leveling questline within it's own realms. Then we would have been able to experience 4 different leveling storylines and such. Other games have been very successful in doing this, but it would have required a lot more programming.

At this point, to add in more questing content is probably pointless. ...
    For adding quests you do need mainly editors and writers, not necessarily programmers. But i fear the editor from the dreamworld engine must be weird, else there would be a lot more content added inbetween (just compare what lone people did with neverwinter nights, warcraft and quake editors).
    If the editor is bad, then funcom could do a proper investment for a change, hire programmers to update the editor (could be a temporary project) and then create an addon with factions as you and many others already imagined. You could have for example for every old world kingdom one official faction, one rebel faction (or warring one) and maybe one hidden (like thieves/assasins/merchants guilds). Look how long Khitai kept people busy, even when the scenario was not popular at the time.
    They could work a bit like the Turan faction. So enough content for money, if done right (one main quest chain per faction and dozens of repeatables).
    Then charge for this update and include ads in the Exiles and TSW launchers...and i bet, they would get more real money out of proper work than out of temporary hypes...
    But maybe you are right and there are in general no assets for proper investments left and we can only watch as they follow every hype and shortlived (and sometimes bad) gamecreation trend (mobiles, short games, open world survival...next might be a "one armed bandit" or pinball...) driving them further and further into investor dependancy...
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 7th March 2016 at 19:35.

If you perform the analysis, we determine that many people perform the same task multiple times with multiple toons. At the same time, other quest is completely ignored. Can you imagine why this is happening?
    I think the Khitai factions was a successful content that could keep the players in the game a long time. But now the role of fractions is being undermined by fast epic loot from WB and nerf of the raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernests View Post
    If you perform the analysis, we determine that many people perform the same task multiple times with multiple toons. At the same time, other quest is completely ignored. Can you imagine why this is happening?
    I think the Khitai factions was a successful content that could keep the players in the game a long time. But now the role of fractions is being undermined by fast epic loot from WB and nerf of the raids.
    Khitai factions was good content, especially when they adjusted the grind to make it less painful. However, Khitai faction is almost 6 yrs old content....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerism View Post
    even the community manager has nothing to add to the op question, it seems this thread was doomed since the start.
    He can't come out and say "Sorry, the game is dead. There are only 2 dev's left, so don't expect any new content." He wouldn't have a job for very long.

Back on topic, it all comes down to manpower. This game is not a priority, even TSW has been semi-abandoned. Funcom is focused on newer products, the current live mmo's are just being kept around for a little bit of extra cash.

If you want questing, you can do all factions possible to Rank4. Sure there are a few daily quests but in the summary, while you are questing from grasslands over chosain, Karakorum down to Paikang, you have a lot including the atonement quests for your negative reputation factions. Do this daily and you will have a lot of quests for many hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Khitai factions was good content, especially when they adjusted the grind to make it less painful.
    Actually, it was the best content of single PvE that the game has ever been, from my point of view. When Khitai comes out, it was a new level of progression in EVERY aspect of the game. At the same time, it was an interesting, beautiful and high quality content. It included alternative development opportunities which Penny mentioned, the only other way.
    Now compare it with The Shadow of Vanaheim. Was it really the best way to invest developer resources?
    I confess that, frankly, I still haven't purchased the Vanaheim. Because I don't see any point in it. About a hundred hours of grind here I don't see anything that would provide a benefit to would be more useful for my guild, dungeon runs with my friends or PvP. For my main character they offer the ring which is actually worse than T4 rings, which I have already had years back.
    Last edited by Ernests; 8th March 2016 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernests View Post
    Still, you can not undermine the aspect of being able to "customize" your own content as player by faction rank and tokens. In khitai that meant you could get lucky fast, but also be sure that sooner or later you could get that piece of loot you actually wanted. Same could be done with old world quest lines and factions.
    It would also give back some old community feelings, if you actually did a quest chain together with friends. That is player planable content in contrast to currently popular lottery random content.

Especially if we count in the "incoming" crafting revamp, where you could get unique addons by dismantling unique quest rewards from new and old quests. Designwise, a good quest structure is a way to handle individual progress, game world reactions and offer unique rewards.

@Ernests:
    Shadows of Vanaheim could have been a good modular expension, if not rushed and tainted by corporate greed. The basic design factors offer the right infrastructure (new quest chain, new faction, new rewards), but the handling, balance and pricing was totally off. This could have been repaired, but wasn't (still not available for free for premium OR a reasonable price OR balanced in power offering different approaches). It would have been nice also, if that said expansion offered either something completely new and fitting (locationwise (Hyperborea, Asheim, Pict Northlands, Border Kingdoms) and lorewise) or would have shown respect to existing loose ends in the area (Thurga, closed exits in Conalls valley. A bit like House of Crom did it).
    The imagined factionquest addon i mentioned in the last post would not even need this investment in new art, props and areas. It could even be interesting enough with decent writing, if it reflected a chars actions and already existing quests (revisiting areas for example or randomized and scaling instances).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 8th March 2016 at 08:01.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast