Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter of the Month from game director

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    So T4 isn't very powerful gear? Isn't T4 still some of the best gear you can get in game?
    You don't see an issue in how two raid tiers, one that can now be easily pugged, while the other was/is too hard for the majority of raiding guilds, award the same levels of reward? Or how the release of T5 reduced the amount of raiding guilds in the game, rather than increased it? Hell, the 'best' raiding guild in the game cheesed several of the fights in the tier.

I think most people that left the game did so due to Funcoms lack of commitment and communication to their playerbase, rather than a disappointing gear set. Yes there is a few classes that don't benefit as much from t5 armors and buff as others.

I do see the issue of T4 being puggable so easily now and I was also trying to warn Funcom about what they was about to do with T3.5 and T4. Funcom could easily have tweaked these raids to be friendlier without completely removing important mechanics.

I do see the issue of especially the small pieces of T6 gear, some other inbalances of stats, and that Conq and BS got shafted on their gear.

I do not see the issue of having a T5 and T6 raid where they represent the highest tiers of raids, and should also have the highest difficulties.

All in all this has nothing to do with the missing letters of the month, it has with balance and an ever changing staff of this game. Continuity and customer service is almost non existant.

For several years we were able to ascertain that T3,5 was an unpopular raid. Although Temple of Erlik and The Lurker was well designed, good-looking, impressive raids with an interesting tactic, however the players' activity was low. The reason of unpopularity was inadequate reward compared with T4. The situation changed after Temple of Erlik was nerfed. But with regard to The Lurker it has remained unchanged. The main thing that was wrong with these raids on that the developers did not notice the basic principle:

reward shall be proportionate to the level of difficulty.

Unfortunately, developers have't learnt from their mistakes and they continue to do so.
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Yes I agree Ernests.

How hard would it be to just take T4 gear, make some new skins, and add +20% to all stats. And then +20% to T5 gear for making the T6 gear. The rune could be a reward for completing the raid in a time trial or without wipes, or the 20th time, or something similar.

Not sure what Funcom thought about when they made T3.5 - if they thought about it at all. Vast amounts of trash, inferior loot, only "half" of a raid, and harder difficulty than T4.

Lurker is forgotten content. Why would anyone go through that trouble for 1 boss that drop sub T4 level weapons.

Yes I agree Ernests.

How hard would it be to just take T4 gear, make some new skins, and add +20% to all stats. And then +20% to T5 gear for making the T6 gear. The rune could be a reward for completing the raid in a time trial or without wipes, or the 20th time, or something similar.

Not sure what Funcom thought about when they made T3.5 - if they thought about it at all. Vast amounts of trash, inferior loot, only "half" of a raid, and harder difficulty than T4.

Lurker is forgotten content. Why would anyone go through that trouble for 1 boss that drop sub T4 level weapons.
    I wanna do it for the achievement. But thats about it. Hardest part is getting a raid just for the achievement though.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Yes I agree Ernests.

I totally agree with making the T5 and T6 gear sets more powerful over previous sets. Never really understood why there's rather little difference in stats for the most part between T4-T5-T6. Yes, there are now set bonuses but raw stats are not that much of an increase and even some T4 gear has better stats than higher tier gear, go figure.

Some will argue "it makes previous content trivial/obsolete", well duh it should, T4 is 4 yrs old, it should be trivial and obsolete. If you don't have proper gear escalation, it takes away a goal to chase after. Otherwise, we'd all still be wearing slave outfits and killing stuff in T6 with the broken oar or glass bottle we started with on Tortage beach. People like improving their toons, and worthwhile gear is the best incentive out there, more so than fluff like titles, pets, etc.

T4 gear already makes most dungeons and previous content including the t4 raid itself obsolete so i never figured where that argument comes from.T4 gear is too strong for unchaineds too,for tian an and for ai ,even in coils or sepulcher nothing seems hard if executed properly with it,t4 stats budget is way above gear check for most classes for these and only a mitigation/agro matter for tanks and it's still more than needed.There were many posts in the gear thread and individuals pms to devs on Testlive but even they kept saying that "previous content and dungeons obsolete" thing so here we are ...

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    I totally agree with making the T5 and T6 gear sets more powerful over previous sets. Never really understood why there's rather little difference in stats for the most part between T4-T5-T6. Yes, there are now set bonuses but raw stats are not that much of an increase and even some T4 gear has better stats than higher tier gear, go figure.

Some will argue "it makes previous content trivial/obsolete", well duh it should, T4 is 4 yrs old, it should be trivial and obsolete. If you don't have proper gear escalation, it takes away a goal to chase after. Otherwise, we'd all still be wearing slave outfits and killing stuff in T6 with the broken oar or glass bottle we started with on Tortage beach. People like improving their toons, and worthwhile gear is the best incentive out there, more so than fluff like titles, pets, etc.
    You would be right about your point, if this game would have a flow of content. Since this game have been on standby for years now, It doesnt make sense to me why they would increase the statbudget more then what they do. As said before, you can do every 6man ingame with T4 gear, but it also applies to raids, so why increase it further. The difficultylevel of T5 and T6 is similar too, they obviously wanted to give "endgame-raiders" content without increasing the gap from the average player further.

But like others already said before, its problematic to have such inconsistency on the improvement between the pieces. Some items shouldnt be worse options individually to the tier before...
    Last edited by magnum92; 10th March 2016 at 00:04.
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Quote Originally Posted by -Shink- View Post
    T4 gear already makes most dungeons and previous content including the t4 raid itself obsolete so i never figured where that argument comes from.T4 gear is too strong for unchaineds too,for tian an and for ai ,even in coils or sepulcher nothing seems hard if executed properly with it,t4 stats budget is way above gear check for most classes for these and only a mitigation/agro matter for tanks and it's still more than needed.There were many posts in the gear thread and individuals pms to devs on Testlive but even they kept saying that "previous content and dungeons obsolete" thing so here we are ...
    It's all relative. Every dungeon was easy if you knew how-to even in T4, but for doing achievement trials, getting T5 and T6 is still hugely advantageous. But at this point, the harder dungeons aren't pointless even if you have the best gear in the game, but if T6 was 40% stronger, they would be (much) more faceroll and thus boring.

Imo, the problem hasn't been that Funcom hasn't been increasing power levels enough (although soldiers should've gotten more dps/hate than they got from T5/T6, and healers more dps), it's that certain items are plain worse or sidegrades to T4 when they should have been obvious upgrades.

There are some players that does achievement trials. But interest is low at the background of total player base.
    Sometimes it is difficult to collect group for time trials even when the guild online are more than raid of players. It is the same story as of T3,5 that I mentioned.
    Last edited by Ernests; 10th March 2016 at 12:52.
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast