Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Letter of the Month from game director

We're charged with the same subcost as the big mmo titles out there month after month, you could question the fact that we cant even get a handwritten letter delivered, since development of new content is included in the subscription fee in the other games. Do we need to go on strike to get abit of attention, or is it neglection and cashcow-mode forever now?
    Last edited by magnum92; 17th March 2016 at 03:40.
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Quote Originally Posted by magnum92 View Post
    We're charged with the same subcost as the big mmo titles out there month after month, you could question the fact that we cant even get a handwritten letter delivered, since development of new content is included in the subscription fee in the other games. Do we need to go on strike to get abit of attention, or is it neglection and cashcow-mode forever now?
    the only attention you gonna get is a letter from a cm saying that AoC is going to close because is not profitable anymore.
    so yeah, in the meanwhile, they'll keep milking you all...
    meh...

Quote Originally Posted by Belsvard View Post
    the only attention you gonna get is a letter from a cm saying that AoC is going to close because is not profitable anymore.
    so yeah, in the meanwhile, they'll keep milking you all...
    they dont have to close it, they run the game on secret world servers, and they barely release content so it sure is profitable for them milking us.
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

If they had continued to give AoC meaningful updates after the T4 release, then here would have been the same income as TSW.
    Instead, they ignored the game for several years. Rare updates were more to directed for free to play players or those was interesting for only a small percentage of the population.
    Last edited by Ernests; 17th March 2016 at 08:10.
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

When i consider all the games FC has, i feel as though AoC is the just the best one by far, and it seems to me many players feel the same.

But i wonder if it's just because we're AoC players, we love that game and thus we're all totally biased, as if any player would feel the game he plays is obviously the best one, or is FC blind to the obvious.

A daring line of thought would be to link FC bad shape to their choice to focus on the wrong games, year after year after year, and that in the end, AoC will have been their only shot at success. They will have failed and gone bankrupt by ignoring it, trying to find the solution always somewhere else while all that time, that solution was lying just in front of them.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    When i consider all the games FC has, i feel as though AoC is the just the best one by far, and it seems to me many players feel the same.

But i wonder if it's just because we're AoC players, we love that game and thus we're all totally biased, as if any player would feel the game he plays is obviously the best one, or is FC blind to the obvious.
    Objectively I think that all 3 of their MMOs are very good games.

I've played Anarchy Online for about 6 years, and personally that's the one I feel is the "best", when putting in perspective what each game brought to the genre at the time they were released.
    I still love AoC, and while my attempts at enjoying TsW haven't been successful (yet?), I can see the innovative features it offers.
    I'd say Funcom could have been very successful with any of those, if they had released them in a decent state (AO and AoC both had terrible launches) and kept investing in the existing games instead of focusing on the next. Heck, even now I feel TsW isn't getting the updates it should, it being a 3.5 year-old game.
    Kaleeh PoM - Resolved Guard - Reducia Sin

Doesn't matter that all 3 are good games, MMO success is always a gamble, abandoning AoC so fast after it's launch for the new baby was an obvious mistake since it was so successful, (had it been a bust then sure, work on the new one ASAP, but it wasn't). They could've milked it for 2-3 Khitai size expansions and then gone into full development of TSW later. There's many people who would love to return to this game but won't because of the lack of development for so many years. Anyway, hindsight and reflection is a pointless endeavor.
    EvitoQQ @ YouTube
    THE IVORY TOWER - QQ - Schlenkerla/Hersch

Here we go, almost the end of the week again, and still... nothing.

Theres absolutely no way a certain moderator or anyone else can believe that we receive the equal amount of communication that TSW receives.

So sir Odon, what this week's excuse? Did the microwave burn Tilty's burrito and he didn't have enough time during lunch to type a couple sentences?
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by redpooo View Post
    Objectively I think that all 3 of their MMOs are very good games.

I've played Anarchy Online for about 6 years, and personally that's the one I feel is the "best", when putting in perspective what each game brought to the genre at the time they were released.
    I still love AoC, and while my attempts at enjoying TsW haven't been successful (yet?), I can see the innovative features it offers.
    I'd say Funcom could have been very successful with any of those, if they had released them in a decent state (AO and AoC both had terrible launches) and kept investing in the existing games instead of focusing on the next. Heck, even now I feel TsW isn't getting the updates it should, it being a 3.5 year-old game.
    Never played AC but as far as AoC and TSW, yeah. Each has their hooks in me for different reasons. While I don't think you could combine them into one game and keep the best of both because they're so vastly different in what they are and do there are some things from each one I'd love to see in the other.

http://www.the-kindred.org/Images/sc...nan/praeun.jpg

http://www.the-kindred.org/Images/sc...W/newdll02.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    A daring line of thought would be to link FC bad shape to their choice to focus on the wrong games, year after year after year, and that in the end, AoC will have been their only shot at success. They will have failed and gone bankrupt by ignoring it, trying to find the solution always somewhere else while all that time, that solution was lying just in front of them.
    When you look at their financials, it is obvious that AoC was a moderate success (not as big as they had hoped, but profitable), while everything they did afterwards was a disaster. Sure TSW is now cash flow positive, but it will never earn back its initial investment.

I guess they fell trap to two temptations - the temptation of the creative people to do "something new", and the temptation of the business folks to aim for the big buck. But as it turns out, the way to make money in the MMO business is to provide solid and continuous support for your games...
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast