Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An utter newbie question: Any hints to play PvP as a demonologist?

Default An utter newbie question: Any hints to play PvP as a demonologist?

Hi.

First of all I'm a complete newbie to PvP and I definitely suck at it. However I still quite don't get it in pvp minigames. When I face an average warrior foe, my very long casting spell (2s fires of gehenna) does either no damage at all or like maybe 15% of damage at best (under buffs).

Sometimes, hidden behing others (so I'm even sure the enemy couldn't counteract my attempts directly) I casted maybe 5-6 fires of gehenna at one single person and yet I couldn't bring him down. However any warrrior seem to pretty much destroy me within 2 seconds. Crowd control is also very limited (2-3 spells at big cooldowns) and imho useless since you have to stay still to perform it (what is pretty much a death sentence). And in 50% cases it does nothing anyway (plus it is slow to cast). But alright, maybe I just suck at it badly and they counter-measure my attempts well.

However I really don't get this damage thingy. I have the feeling that my ability to sustain damage is like 10% compared to others (what would be ok for a demonologist) but also my ability to _deal damage_ is like that. Instant spells do literally nothing (take maybe 5 percent away of the enemy's bar) and even the strongest spells under the buffs barely a scratch - 15% maybe for a 2s cast. While I go down literally within 4-5 instant sword slashes taking less time than my single fires of gehenna would need to be casted.

El.
    Last edited by Agrana; 22nd February 2016 at 03:26.
    I'm the magic incarnate.

Demonologist is the weakness class in pvp, it's impossible to kill anyone, so change to some one else or enjoy pve)
    Kreol/Trulyalya

Quote Originally Posted by Trulala View Post
    Demonologist is the weakness class in pvp, it's impossible to kill anyone, so change to some one else or enjoy pve)
    Uhhhhh what? Lol
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Quote Originally Posted by Agrana View Post
    Hi.

First of all I'm a complete newbie to PvP and I definitely suck at it. However I still quite don't get it in pvp minigames. When I face an average warrior foe, my very long casting spell (2s fires of gehenna) does either no damage at all or like maybe 15% of damage at best (under buffs).

Sometimes, hidden behing others (so I'm even sure the enemy couldn't counteract my attempts directly) I casted maybe 5-6 fires of gehenna at one single person and yet I couldn't bring him down. However any warrrior seem to pretty much destroy me within 2 seconds. Crowd control is also very limited (2-3 spells at big cooldowns) and imho useless since you have to stay still to perform it (what is pretty much a death sentence). And in 50% cases it does nothing anyway (plus it is slow to cast). But alright, maybe I just suck at it badly and they counter-measure my attempts well.

However I really don't get this damage thingy. I have the feeling that my ability to sustain damage is like 10% compared to others (what would be ok for a demonologist) but also my ability to _deal damage_ is like that. Instant spells do literally nothing (take maybe 5 percent away of the enemy's bar) and even the strongest spells under the buffs barely a scratch - 15% maybe for a 2s cast. While I go down literally within 4-5 instant sword slashes taking less time than my single fires of gehenna would need to be casted.

El.
    Demo is one of the easiest DD classes. Strongly recommended is movement. If warrior catches you, you are mostly dead when he manages to cc you. On demo you have a lot of the top cc abilities: Hands of the underworld +30% speed/50% slow on enemy, insta KB + KB 1,5 sec. cast, insta stun.
    As beginner you should play only on max. range to see how you can build up damage. With good gear and enough experience plus movement you can play in melee range whats most fun. And insta does no damage? Big lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hopsing View Post
    Demo is one of the easiest DD classes
    It's an easy class only when you play against noobish opponent team with poor gear.
    In hand-to-hand combat demo have the smallest survival from all classes. Against a serious team demonologist is the first target focused by several enemies together. Always. Other classes are more likely to survive this situation. It is not able for anybody to save you in such a short period of time. This means = hello respoint. Again and again.
    The only way out is to choose a position where you wouldn't notice. But you can use it only a few seconds, and then change the position again.

Agrana, if You want to know the weaknesses of demonologist, then welcome to this topic of test server forum:
    http://forums-tl.ageofconan.com/show...s-Demonologist

P.S. Yes, and don't forget that many of the classes has improved in recent years. But demonologist almost has not changed at all. In this context, have to deal with the consequences.
    Last edited by Ernests; 22nd February 2016 at 07:56.
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Quote Originally Posted by Agrana View Post
    Hi.

El.
    Since you are new to PvP, I guess your experience will have been with random (PUG) minigames. Demo actually is one of the strongest classes in that setting, if geared and played right.

If your damage to survivability ratio is bad, this may well be a gear and AA problem. PvP gear really helps your survivability, unfortunately PvP T1 requires PvP level 4 unless you buy it in the item shop. For damage, T4 and higher PvE raid gear is also very good, but your survivability will be lower than in PvP gear. Don't be fooled by people who tell you that you should do well in lower-tier PvE gear (Khitai, T1/T2/T3) - some veterans do okay with that type of gear, but as a beginner that gear likely doesn't have enough survivability and damage for you to feel useful.

So most likely, you'll have to either invest real money to buy that PvP T1 armor, or go through some tough times until you reach PvP level 4. If you have any PvP XP buffs, use them.

As for builds, I don't play demo myself, but some good demos (Audrey, Korando and Suctum) posted information in this thread:
    https://forums.ageofconan.com/showth...uild-questions

The information isn't exactly new, but demo hasn't changed so I guess it is still valid.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Just keybind detonate and waves of fail and roll your face across the keyboard wiping the drool off each time. That's all it really takes in pug minis. Against a real team though, your movement and positioning is really the ke, as well as having your team protect you as much as is possible.

But in pugs, pretty much run whatever you want, as long as you can move a bit and not charge an entire group it's next to impossible to do badly.
    Last edited by Suctum; 22nd February 2016 at 19:19.
    Doomsayer 2008

On Crom even pug minis you can often meet with a high level of opponents. If this happens, then WoF better used only in exceptional cases to kill the already injured opponents.
    The role of WoF is exaggerated in PvP. Many players have the wrong view about demonologist because it was formed long ago. They do not take account of the changes that affected by this class:
    1. Demo has been nerfed with CC's system restructuring and the gradual reduction of CC's role (currently there are too many possibilities as to avoid control);
    2. Demo has been nerfed with sprint system restructuring (even with kite, your's energy ends much faster than opponent's HP and then starts hand-to-hand combat. Opponents no more consume stamina as in earlier times, when they was unable to make a serious combo the melee);
    3. Demo has been nerfed with revamp of PvP gear. Currently every opponent can increase your protection almost like a tank (AA + PvP armor, accessories, T3 crafted or other Weapons to protection);
    4. Demo has been nerfed with the gradual improvement of other classes, which has taken place in recent years. The last time a vivid examples are HoX and Barbarian.
    5. Demo has been nerfed with the rising of physical weapons dps. On the contrary the magical weapons updates in recent years gives a small improvement of damage. Because there is different algorithm to calculate it.

Enjoy
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Demo is easy enough in pug minis, even with poor gear you can do OK damage (if you're not a vet you will probably die quite a lot though). Build doesn't even matter too much as long as you don't pick up really bad feats. I'm not an amazing demo but you could have a look at my vids perhaps to give you some ideas : https://www.youtube.com/user/geckosa...w=0&shelf_id=0

I run either this typical hybrid spec : http://goo.gl/aQRxDE or this one which is more for the lulz (and yet still works fine most of the time) : http://goo.gl/gik7fz - you might find the extra armour and prot nice as a lowbie but don't expect miracles, you're still a clothie.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

If they would fix the bugged white hits of the whispering touch and sogoth you wouldn't have the near one shots that happen. Except maybe sins because that's what they do to casters, and rangers, because they are stupid.
    Doomsayer 2008

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast