Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning player questions/Which class to play

Default Returning player questions/Which class to play

Hi everyone!

I am returning to AoC after 5 years (I left in summer of 2010). I have tried to catch up on all of the "returning player" and "what class should I play" threads, but I still have some questions I was hoping I could get answered.

First, I am trying to decide on the right class to make my return with. My only 80 is a Necro, and I really want to play a combo class this time around, and have narrowed the field to the Assassin, the Conquerer, and the Ranger-although I am open to other suggestions. I'd like to be able to participate in end game PvE and PVP, and any comments are appreciated.

Second, I am willing to resubscribe, but I am curious when I should pull the trigger. I saw that you start earning AA at level 20, should I resub then, or wait until 80? Also, if you read the benefits of a subscription, it says you receive all content other than RotG (which I already have). Does this include Turan, and Shadows?

Third, how do the mini-games work? I don't recall doing any previously, and I keep seeing references to them on the forums.

Fourth, how active are the PVP queues? I love PvP, and my main is on Fury, but the place looks like a ghost town. I'd like to roll on Crom, but if I cant get into the instances I'm going to be bummed. Also, is there any PvP before 80 on Crom?

Thanks so much!

Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by Bladorthin View Post
    Hi everyone!
    First, I am trying to decide on the right class to make my return with. My only 80 is a Necro, and I really want to play a combo class this time around, and have narrowed the field to the Assassin, the Conquerer, and the Ranger-although I am open to other suggestions. I'd like to be able to participate in end game PvE and PVP, and any comments are appreciated.
    Endgame PVE : Sin and Ranger should be easy enough to learn, find groups and gear up. The sin might be a tad more desirable in some groups (higher dps). With a Conq you'll be expected to tank, which in my opinion is the most difficult role in AoC. Successfully tanking requires good knowledge of the encounter, good knowledge of your class, good gear, and skill.
    Engame PVP : I'm not qualified to answer here, although I think most people will agree that ranger is the easiest class for performing decently in pvp. I heard conq is strong in pvp. Sin would be trickier to play.

Second, I am willing to resubscribe, but I am curious when I should pull the trigger. I saw that you start earning AA at level 20, should I resub then, or wait until 80?
    The AAs you get while leveling do give a head start at lvl 80. However you can do fine without them.
    If you play a lot and feel you'll level up quickly and reach 80, I would say it's worth subscribing. If you like to play at a more relaxed pace and don't expect to hit 80 before a few months, I would hold off.

Also, if you read the benefits of a subscription, it says you receive all content other than RotG (which I already have). Does this include Turan, and Shadows?
    No it doesn't. Turan and Shadows of the Vanaheim need to be bought separately.

Third, how do the mini-games work? I don't recall doing any previously, and I keep seeing references to them on the forums.
    You subscribe to a queue for a pvp map with a specific objective (capture the flag, conquest). When there are enough people subscribed, you are offered to join the instance. If you accept you'll be teleported inside and the fight begins.

Fourth, how active are the PVP queues? I love PvP, and my main is on Fury, but the place looks like a ghost town. I'd like to roll on Crom, but if I cant get into the instances I'm going to be bummed. Also, is there any PvP before 80 on Crom?
    Minigame PVP happens all the time at lvl80 on Crom. PVP before 80 is pretty much nonexistent.
    If you're starting a new character and you're interested in both PVE and PVP I would highly suggest rolling on Crom. It's the only server with decent population.
    Kaleeh PoM - Resolved Guard - Reducia Sin

Thanks so much for the answers. Quick follow up. Are their PVE Dungeon/Raid group finders in the game yet?

Thanks so much for the answers. Quick follow up. Are their PVE Dungeon/Raid group finders in the game yet?
    Not yet, it's work in progress at FC. Global spamming works well enough though

Avoid ranger, the class is very dry, simple and boring.

Sin is ok, conq is way better.
    I don't know if it counts for you, bur for me, how a class fares in the solo area of the game (biggest part of AoC by far) is of paramount importance. And when it comes to solo, i can't think of any class more enjoyable than conq, which has so many awesome tools to play with, it's just a beast, with so much juice to it.
    As for PvP, ranger is piss easy and quite retarded frankly, sin is way harder to perform with but once mastered completely OP, conq is a soldier so quite easier than sin but just as OP.

But if you really want a pure dps class, go for barb, which is a conq without the tanking aspect.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

How friendly is the game to alts? Newer games allow account AA (ESO, GW2), where the points you unlock can be spent by other characters on your account? Does Age of Conan still have single character AA advancement?

AA points are per character, however for every 4 days that you are subscribed (paid subscription), and provided you already have a character that's lvl70+, you get 1 offline level added to your account. The levels gained this way can be used on any of your characters, which makes it easy to get lvl 80 alts.
    Also, when you first reach a certain level (lvl 50 I think, can't remember), you're allowed to create 1 character lvl50 straight away.

At lvl80, AA points can also be trained with time, which means even if you're actively playing a single character, your alts AA points are also progressing.

I'm looking to get some AoC going again after something like 4 years....This thread answered my early questions. Guess I'll be moving my characters to Crom. Thanks

EDIT:
    BTW What is a good parser to use now a days?
    Last edited by KingofPain; 29th January 2016 at 22:20.

ACT (Advanced Combat Tracker) works well for me.

Thanks redpoo I think that was the one I used a few years ago.

I gotta say it's a shame that the pvp servers are so dead as most of my best toons are on fury. I don't see the point in paying $20 a character for a server change until I can play my RotGS that I paid for years ago.
    Last edited by KingofPain; 1st February 2016 at 14:03.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast