Thread: Trouble launching from Windows 10.

Default Trouble launching from Windows 10.

I've been on Windows 10 now for a few weeks with no major issues including playing AOC. However, starting today I cannot launch the game and I get the message "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher". I am running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit. The error appears immediately upon double clicking (when directly running the game). The patcher runs okay but dies just after clicking Start.

Some of the things I have tried...
    Reboot
    Turning off virus protection
    Uninstalling and reinstalling AOC (both install from site download as well as Steam).
    Running from a known good version of Conan from a few weeks ago (of course, it did patch so I'm not sure if a recent game change caused it)
    Running both versions of game directly (directx 9 and 10).
    Running a version of the game before being patched to the newest update.
    Running in Admin mode.
    Used Compatibility Administrator to verify application was not blocked.
    Running the compatibility troubleshooting.
    Running in Windows 7 mode.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by medievalsmith; 12th December 2015 at 03:52.

Well thats new. I have Windows 10 at work, I can try and test it on Monday.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Update on this...

I got rid of the Windows 10 app error (can't run on this PC). That was caused by the StrangeUI modifications to the Registry and running a copy of AOC that did not have the StrangeUI running. However, even after running the StrangeUI install, I was still seeing the issue so I removed the registry entries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, remove the two AgeOfConan entries). I believe running the AOC.exe tool to have it display deactivate would achieve the same results. I then ran a clean install. In defense to StrangeUI, I believe the error started due to the error listed below that I was trying to resolve. Just mentioning it in case anyone else accidentally causes it. After I get the below error resolved, I will try to reinstall StrangeUI to see if error comes back.

I can now run Conan in DirectX 9 but I cannot run the DirectX 10 version which is not good. I updated my graphics drivers including removing CCC and replacing it with the newer Radeon tool.

Windows 10
    Radeon Software Version
    Graphics Chipset: AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 series
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 DirectX 11 21197-00-40G 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 (driver November 17, 2015 15.300.1025.0)

For those of you that use Aoc.exe under Windows 10, try this build: Aoc.exe (debug build). Only change from last official version is that it write some debug info to Aoc.txt, so no reason to get this if you have no issues with Aoc.exe.

Be sure to activate this version of Aoc.exe after you unpacked it. Then go to your main AoC installation and execute either AgeOfConan.exe or AgeOfConanDX10.exe. Do not use a shortcut! Aoc.txt will then be written to your AoC installation folder. I'd like to see these debug outputs along with a description of how far in the launching process you feel you get before it goes wrong and what error message you get. Either here or preferable in a PM to me.

Cheers!

I resolved both issues, unable to launch DirectX10.0 and the the issue with running StrangeUI. I posted the answer for StrangeUI in thread supporting StrangeUI, you can search on that. The DirectX issue was much more bizarre. It involved a bad setting the Compatibility Administrator. If you need details, you can PM me but you are very unlikely to see the same issue.