Thread: Do You Remember What Brought You Here?

Default Do You Remember What Brought You Here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExXF3EXwvyQ

This still can give me goose bumps!

I got attracted to AoC by an article in a magazine.

Certain features were mentioned : Raiding villages and enhancing them to defend against other players or mobs (not implemented)

You can get crippled and it will have an actual impact on your character like walking slow (now its a debuff of a few seconds)

Epic fights on mammoths (which are a joke)

Very nice graphics (still are)

Quitting because being bored of trollcom and there is plenty of other games out.
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

This and Warhammer Online came out about the same time. I bought the collectors edition of both.

This game just hooked me from the beginning on Tortage Beach that I never played more than 20 minutes of Warhammer.

Was just something about the combat that was unique and made it interesting.

Still here since Launch and never quit even though I've seen countless numbers of players/guilds fold.

Makes you wonder how more successful the came could have been had they followed the real dream of giving a damn about Aoc.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

I never really was into playing online games until I started AoC, some of my friends tried to get me into some asia F2P sh*t but I couldn't stand it more than a hour or so until I deleted these games. But then one day I saw Age of Conan in a store for like 10€ and I just tried it out since I got a month free in this game. While installing and downloading patches (with my awesome low connection and crappy PC back then it took around 12 hours until I could finally start the game :P). The things that hold me in the game for so many damn hours (It is really crazy if I think about that... 12 characters and some of them have play times of some months... no other game hold me that long) are:

Combat System: In many games I really miss a cool combat system... games like Skyrim (or many other games in 2009 when I started) were horrible and just a LMB spamming all the time and many other games did it the same. But AoC had a pretty unique system I never really saw before

Setting: I love the setting in the game, I never read any of the real Conan stories so I can't say if it is really immersive for the real Conan-Fans but for me this ancient look of the world / armors / weapons and so on (I love the DT T3 spartan like helmet) is just awesome.
    The playfields are really good designed (not like this other F2P sh*t where you got a flat map with a hill, one area with level 1 dogs, one area with level 2 tigers, a river with a bridge and then again a area with level 3 tigers...) and there are many little details, and the most important thing for me: They make sense! The other MMOs just have these large amount of animals on one spot where the players start to farm for their levels until they go to the next area.

Soundtrack: When I first started the game there was that one track in the login screen that is now not there anymore (the one that also plays in the vanir camps). The other MMOs I tried some months before AoC had horrible music (well, all this asia F2P ****). I mostly were playing Single Player RPGs and most of them had really good music like the Gothic series (not the 4th one!) the Elder Scrolls series, Fallout and many other. But AoC really had some incredible awesome soundtrack, every new playfield I visited I just thought "Holy sh*t this music is so amazing!". And I still think it is one of the best soundtracks of every game I played.

Well, but sadly haven't played for a long time anymore, too many disappointments from FC and so on... you know what I mean.

I searched various articles on MMORPGs and found this title in 2009. As an avid fan of R. E. Howard and a very casual player (2-3 hours per three days), I paid for the game twice (it was my mistake) and entered the world. As soon as I met the complexity (taunt, casting concentration, stamina management, challenge with group quests in FotD, Eiglophian, movement and combination systems, and normal (not boosted) progression that incited group action with advanced tactics), I became more of a semihardcore gamer.

Then, offline levels appeared, T3 got destroyed, energy sprinting introduced, tier token appeared with obligatory relic loot, AA was sped up, world bosses appeared, and accurst things such as level 0 PVP gear and streak system appeared. Suddenly, the game became dull and Hello Kitty Online-like thanks to bad management. One of the worst managers who kept burying the challenge was Bylos. These would drive a lot of casual players out the very instant they saw them.

Funcom did everything to make the game from grandeur and engaging to inattractive and boring to new casual players and old veterans with gradually introduced insanely fast progression and simplifications.

The worst (or the best) thing is that AoC, even with these changes, remains the best MMORPG on the market...
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 10th December 2015 at 06:28.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Thumbs up

I bought the game when it first came out, it was a preorder. I loaded it up made a guardian, and just got murdered by higher level players. Went to night to quest, then back to day and had some fun battles. Sadly though, my computer couldn't handle it at all.

Then I watched some dueling videos on youtube, say how the gear looked and decided to resub after a couple years. Started playing a barb, when I got out off Tortage and walked into Conarch Village, then eventually hearing the sound track that played in the Valley...I was hooked.

When I started leveling in E-Mountains I was randomly invited to a group by some RP players (remember Dark Brotherhood/Azmith). They started telling me a bunch of weirdo stuff, kicked me from group and killed me. I said something in guild chat, the next thing I know, we have a huge battle when I was just doing random quests before. It was the funnest thing I had ever been part of in a video game.

I agree with Clean, she is why I stayed.
    "Does it always smell like this?"

Watching a friend of mine play his Conqueror on Tortage. I was sold after the first 10-15 minutes of watching him play. The dynamic gameplay, the fatalities, combo mechanics. I thought instantly, "I need to play this game".