Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yo Funcom - Servers

Default Yo Funcom - Servers

So I had to play a late night (europe) game of pvp today... I always had a thought.. maybe Funcom placed the servers in the US cause there was more US players subscribing? Hah.. to my surprise.. it's impossbile to get a mini game started in "us prime time" .
    So Funcom.. when are you moving the servers back to the EU? Please.

Regards,
    The 40 min-5 hours man
    http://i.imgur.com/k5r9Y6L.jpg
    turn on tune in drop out

Quote Originally Posted by ectomorph View Post
    So I had to play a late night (europe) game of pvp today... I always had a thought.. maybe Funcom placed the servers in the US cause there was more US players subscribing? Hah.. to my surprise.. it's impossbile to get a mini game started in "us prime time" .
    So Funcom.. when are you moving the servers back to the EU? Please.

Regards,
    The 40 min-5 hours man
    http://i.imgur.com/k5r9Y6L.jpg
    perhaps when they can afford it
    meh...

It would be kind of counterproductive to move server away from the majority of players if ping matters. Luckily funcom games are designed so that bad ping doesnt have an influence on player's performanace. I am bad at explaining this. Better listen to funcom's expert here: https://waskul.tv/portfolio/steve-wa...i-casais-2015/ he is addressing this issue at the end of the interview. ca 18 min.

for some i think servers are more expensive in US then in EU, so thats also interesting.
    The Law of Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Wheya View Post
    It would be kind of counterproductive to move server away from the majority of players if ping matters. Luckily funcom games are designed so that bad ping doesnt have an influence on player's performanace. I am bad at explaining this. Better listen to funcom's expert here: https://waskul.tv/portfolio/steve-wa...i-casais-2015/ he is addressing this issue at the end of the interview. ca 18 min.
    It does have a huge impact , in pvp at least
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

I think it was irony?
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Moving servers away from majority of players is just a strategic moronism and was one of the main reason for a lot of players to quit or to stop paying for AOC.

Quote Originally Posted by nattok View Post
    Moving servers away from majority of players is just a strategic moronism and was one of the main reason for a lot of players to quit or to stop paying for AOC.
    I love the people like you that have no idea how a business operates. They did it for financial reasons to keep operating costs at a minimum as well as logistically getting it closer to the Funcom US office for obvious reasons. They are not in the business of making the best experience possible for the players, they are a business and money is king.

*Edit* I'm not saying I'm happy about the move, but you guys need to understand why they did it at least.
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Quote Originally Posted by Usedtissue View Post
    I love the people like you that have no idea how a business operates. They did it for financial reasons to keep operating costs at a minimum as well as logistically getting it closer to the Funcom US office for obvious reasons. They are not in the business of making the best experience possible for the players, they are a business and money is king.

*Edit* I'm not saying I'm happy about the move, but you guys need to understand why they did it at least.
    I wonder if the cost they save for mainetenance+whatever by moving the servers actually outweighs the lost subs they suffered after doing it. It might only be my gut-feeling, but I think they basically screwed all east-european players with that, at least that's my explaination for the harshly declined numbers from that region.
    In the long run those subs might have been cancelled anyway because of the game's slow progression, the ignorance of problems such as rage merge/transfers but that's another story. I still think they shot themselves in the foot with the move in terms of finances, though I obviously have no proof on that one.
    I do remember how they announced it back in the day, though. They mentioned a "test phase" which turned out to be the fullscale move from day1, never even intending to get/heed any feedback on it first. Gotta love that!
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

Quote Originally Posted by Maelkjar View Post
    I wonder if the cost they save for mainetenance+whatever by moving the servers actually outweighs the lost subs they suffered after doing it. It might only be my gut-feeling, but I think they basically screwed all east-european players with that, at least that's my explaination for the harshly declined numbers from that region.
    In the long run those subs might have been cancelled anyway because of the game's slow progression, the ignorance of problems such as rage merge/transfers but that's another story. I still think they shot themselves in the foot with the move in terms of finances, though I obviously have no proof on that one.
    I do remember how they announced it back in the day, though. They mentioned a "test phase" which turned out to be the fullscale move from day1, never even intending to get/heed any feedback on it first. Gotta love that!
    You need to bear in mind when all of this happened. Basically, they were planning to host TSW in the US. Then it turned out that TSW did not even get close to their expectations in terms of player numbers. Which meant that they (i) did not have enough money to pay their debt, but (ii) had a lot of spare server capacity in the US.

In a nutshell, the reason why servers were moved to the US is the same as why the AoC dev team was scrapped...
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast