Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition for Buddy Queue Mini's

Quote Originally Posted by Anzu View Post
    It has been said a number of times already. The original focus of the game was PVE.
    That's very subjective. If you actually relate that statement to the initiatives on the table at the time of launch you could correlate that there was pvp structured content which was centered around pve. The whole mercenary system, which never came to be, the guild city sieges and/or battle keep sieges where you were supposed to hire npcs to fill numbers for missing players, horse mounted combat system, even the once mentioned capital city battlegrounds held by alliances of guilds. One of the pictures from the original game box shows those hirable "npcs" during a siege.

To say the focus of the game was pve is very misleading. It was not until the actual launch that we learned much of the hype of which was promised had been cut from the game, or promised later in a different reincarnation which never happened. The tower content for example, has been talked about numerous times through out the years, people here are not making it up, it's all easily searched on the internet.

For people like me who have been playing since pre-release, the pve was very unsatisfying and extremely boring outside some lowbie quests and tortage. In fact, it's very safe to say Tortage was the only content that was 100% finished by launch. It's hard to listen to Funcom saying the game was focused around pve when the pve at release was pretty much all dismal tank and spank encounters. You can even bring up old spots and clips on youtube and interviews, it's very clear pve was not what the game was marketed on, despite developers saying it was designed as such.
    Last edited by Suctum; 5th November 2015 at 04:10.
    Doomsayer 2008

Per Gaute Godager interview:

2. have you developed AOC as a PVP centric game or PVE centric? Or perhaps have you tried to reach some kind of optimal balance between those two types of content?

We said we tried to do both. But I guess we didn't really believe the game could stand on its own without good PVE, and felt that not many PvP centric games made it big, back then - so PVE drove the development. It changes with time. I might have made it differently today.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Per Gaute Godager interview:

2. have you developed AOC as a PVP centric game or PVE centric? Or perhaps have you tried to reach some kind of optimal balance between those two types of content?

We said we tried to do both. But I guess we didn't really believe the game could stand on its own without good PVE, and felt that not many PvP centric games made it big, back then - so PVE drove the development. It changes with time. I might have made it differently today.
    He can say anything he would like, but if you watch the videos from up to release and played on a pvp server at launch your experience, and opinion, would be much different.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    He can say anything he would like, but if you watch the videos from up to release and played on a pvp server at launch your experience, and opinion, would be much different.
    It's all subjective to the individual, everyone has their idea of what they think AoC was meant to be. Pve'rs will say pve, pvp'r will say pvp. It's a never ending argument and pointless really as there never really is a true answer.

I'll add that what a game is designed for and what it is marketed for might not match.
    Short cuts make long delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    It's all subjective to the individual, everyone has their idea of what they think AoC was meant to be. Pve'rs will say pve, pvp'r will say pvp. It's a never ending argument and pointless really as there never really is a true answer.
    It really comes down to what server type you were on and your experiences there. I know on Doomsayer I couldn't as much walk 2 steps without getting 6 teamed by multiple groups, so I saw very little pve and spent most of my time learning how to defend myself. I imagine most pvp servers were the same, and everyone who came up and stayed there will have a much different memory and experience of the game than people who were on non-pvp servers. Not that I am saying one is better or the other, but if you stuck to the same ruleset for years your opinion of what was and should be would be very different.
    Doomsayer 2008

I'll add that what a game is designed for and what it is marketed for might not match.
    At last, some validation.
    Doomsayer 2008

And why would my sentence validate? I'm only a player, not a Funcom employee
    Short cuts make long delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    I guess the 2008-2011 era of pvp is really over. These new players really have no idea of getting friends together and challenging other guilds teams just for the benefit if winning. Rewards didn't matter because the PvP and global PvP was more reward than anyone needed. Guild vs guild premades lead to drama, lead to world PvP, lead to alliances, which lead to non stop sieges. All of this with only the server and playfeild as content, PvP made its own content, and premades were a big part of that.

Now, being in a guild does not matter. It's only an extra chat box. You can't PvP with your friends for the most pat in normal minis, you have to set up a raid calender to organise 3 or 4 premades, and BK buffs are next to useless, and so is owning one. Even 3v3 would do wonders for creating rivalry and drama, which creates PvP itself.
    Yes it's over.
    But changing random minigames queque to allow hardcore pvp stomp of newbies will not bring it back.
    It's over because there are no left newbies to stomp and kick out of game, population has already fallen from 1.000.000 to 1.000 (not exact numbers, just to give an idea) and that also because of many bad choices.

At start PvP was hardcore, so all casuals got cut out, big cut of population and game was left with few hardcore players, the same that keep whining, bitching and trolling here for years now, since game is in this next to dead or barely surviving status at least from 2011.
    These guys QQ because Funcom solved those old issue after realizing that random and premades togethet can't work.
    One think you are right: Funcom made these change at wrong point.
    It had to be like now from start, before loosing all the population.
    So we could have still enough players to use regularly the true PvP queque, the Tournament mode.

And anothet thing you are right, the quality and quantity of PvP in general is so low now that Funcom could really just switch to the old system.. at least we could have few last months of stomp fun and then finally end this agony.

As you see I want what you want, but I try to use my brain and it keeps telling me that what you want is not the right thing for the game.
    The fact that is supported by no brain trolls like those posting on this thread tells me that I'm probably right...

So yes it's over, whatever Funcom bring back the old system or not.
    Live with that.
    Last edited by Korando-AoC; 5th November 2015 at 06:17.
    Retired nab.. once it was Korando (PvP 10 BS), Andromaeda (PvP 10 Sin), Calore (PvP 10 Demo) and minions...

And why would my sentence validate? I'm only a player, not a Funcom employee
    Because it's obvious what the game was marketed as in early release, but people still try to deny it- even the developers.
    Doomsayer 2008

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast