Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Hooray ? Consists of ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Derled View Post
    great pve game? wery old game with low amount of content, broken content, filled with annoying glitches and bugs,...

...I love aoc but when funcom listen to minority of the community this is what happens should have listened to people that could have actually bring cash to their bank account
    Pve vs. pvp...yeah...

First off, you must play a different game than I do. Does this game have bugs? Hell yes. How many of them are gamebreaking (invisible horse or beards not shown in the char selection window...not really gamebreaking)? Depends, 4-6.

Around 33 6-man dungeouns at lvl 80 (round about 50% in two different modes), 12 solo dungeouns and 36 raid bosses in 6 tiers are not what I would call a low amount of content. None of them suffers from annoying gliches or bugs - exept Ardashir Fort of course, where you sometimes swim...yes THAT is totally gamebreaking, one dungeoun out of 33 (sometimes) broken.

And I really do not care about the god old times, that was seven years ago. MMOs are like dogs: One year counts for seven, the life circle is very fast, things change, the community changes, quickly. Regarding which one is the minority, the pvp or the pve crowd (because you can put every player in one of this categories, there is absolutly noone out there who enjoys both types of playstile....not^^) I think this changes over time, too. A lot. At launch the not existing pve endgame (or levelling game) drove pvers away, the developtment centered around pve drove pvpers away. The last numbers we have about this are from summer 2012
    http://www.ageofconan.com/news/month...date_june_2012

Main interest 70% pve, 30% pvp, with group, raid and solo pve scoring much, much higher that any kind of pvp. But even those numbers are outdated.

And all of this is no longer of any interest, because the game is as it is right now, you play it and enjoy it, or you quit and stop playing and enjoying it. FC isn't exactly great in running this game, but I don't get all this whining about the god old days, for wich palystile the game was originally developed and so...who cares? If you around for a long time you know what you can expect from FC, live with it, help bettering new content (because even if the team is very small and the ressources are next to not existing the current devs listen much more to players input and wishes that ever befor), but just stop this whining.

Does anybody else consider the financials? Every dime Age of Conan made went to the development of the secret world (and maintenance of aoc) and they still lost money. I'm not taking sides saying it was a pve game or a pvp game because as my first mmo i enjoyed both. i'm aware there is a ton of features and content this game didn't release with, but much of that could have been added or fixed later to make this a game good for everyone had they actually focused their development on it. in that respect there isn't really much excuse for why we still don't have what was promised. Maybe it was bad directors, maybe it was pressure on the directors to go a certain direction because of the market at the time, or maybe they simply didn't have money to finished what they started. point is, arguments about pve and pvp can easily go both ways and go on forever.
    Last edited by Mysticblood; 11th September 2015 at 17:25.
    Anuhart
    Mysticblood
    Holyssmoke

Alienware Area 51 990x 4.30GHz
    Water-cooled Radeon R9 290X

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticblood View Post
    Does anybody else consider the financials? Every dime Age of Conan made went to the development of the secret world and they still lost money. I'm not taking sides saying it was a pve game or a pvp game because as my first mmo i enjoyed both. i'm aware there is ALOT of features and content this game doesn't have, but alot of that could have been added to make this a game for everyone had they focused their development on it.
    I bought TSW and played around with it. Not a great game. An OK game, but not great. But, I quit TSW and returned to AoC.

TSW's biggest problem is that they make some problems hard just to make them hard with no thought given to what on earth made it so hard. For example, there is one quest to retrieve some video cameras that a maintenance man inadvertently left behind. Where did he leave them? Why, behind laser maze fields, explosive-laden rooms and traps to take out the most hardy Mission:Impossible team member. I mean, really, just for some cameras? So, the quest was made hard just to make it hard, not because there was any plausible reason behind making it hard.

I also don't like the character creation process in TSW; not enough choices. AoC's process is wonderful. I love being able to make such detailed personalized characters. And, though it's the 12-year old male in me, I really like being able to have topless chicks. If nothing else, that fits a Conan-genre like a glove. Now, if AoC could get breasts to jiggle a little, like Neverwinter Nights does, that'd be nifty, too. Hey, I'm a nerdy male game player with some still functioning hormones at 58 - whaddya want from me?

Anyway, were I FC, I'd still toss some money at TSW - it has good potential - but I think I'd focus on AoC because I, personally, enjoy it far more. I also think a well-done AoC would rip the pants off a well-done TSW.

Then, once AoC were stable, I might explore an Elric of Melnibone MMO. It could use a lot of existing AoC resources, so it'd be almost free from FC's point of view. Then, a Call of Cthulhu MMO to mix AoC and TSW and I'd be well along my way of falling into the trap of making a plethora of MMOs, rather than focusing on a successful few - or one.

Quote Originally Posted by ckirmser View Post
    Yes.

Compared to others I've played, very yes. Granted, my only others are UO, Everquest and LotRO - Champions, SWtOR and TSW not being "in-genre" - so maybe there are others out there of which I am not aware that are better.

But, being unaware of them means AoC beats them.

Old doesn't matter. Just because something is old, doesn't make it less fun. I'd have a lot more fun in an old Camaro, than I would in a brand new Prius.

As for content, I haven't noticed any lack of quantity. My characters are leveling up nicely, so there's enough for that; what else matters? Granted, I'd like to see some additions; pickpocketing, combat from horseback, housing (UO-style housing, specifically), the ability to hire - or, by some other means acquire - NPC companions so that those who play solo can take on multi-player quests, a UO-style merchant and economy system and a more in-depth romance system, to name a few.

I've not encountered much broken content. That which I have has been resolved by petition or game fixes, so nothing earthshattering. Glitches and bugs are something that will never go away 100%; I can live with the few that are there - for example, my horse becoming suddenly transparent when changing locations.

Years of inexpensive entertainment?

Well, for my money, PvP is a bore. Fighting other players when one should be HELPING other players is a turn-off to me. Now, fighting those players who become criminal because of their acts, like is done in UO? That I could get my teeth into. But, to fight each other just to fight each other is meaningless, contrived, out of context and just plain boring.

Put in a criminal system where players who kill innocents or do other socially unacceptable things can be taken on, perhaps with an associated reward, and that I can go for. But, not just the juvenile schoolyard rumble just because you can.
    I dont see how fighting predetermined scripted pixels who won't change anything in a thousand fights no matter the goal is more boring than fighting humans who can at least adapt, surprise and outperform you. however in aoc the reward is for sure more engaging in the former.

about criminal system, any tools given to improve open world experience would have been welcome but it was totally ignored to focus on pve instances, raid being the most rewarding and token grind specifically for years.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipope View Post
    I dont see how fighting predetermined scripted pixels who won't change anything in a thousand fights no matter the goal is more boring than fighting humans who can at least adapt, surprise and outperform you. however in aoc the reward is for sure more engaging in the former.
    Then you must find it a good thing that there are plenty of encounters in Age of Conan that aren't you simply fighting a bunch of predeteremined scripted pixels who don't change anything no matter how often you fight them.

I would be bored of a game where you could record your actions on one play through, then have your computer repeat them over and over again with no user input to farm it forever with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    Then you must find it a good thing that there are plenty of encounters in Age of Conan that aren't you simply fighting a bunch of predeteremined scripted pixels who don't change anything no matter how often you fight them.

I would be bored of a game where you could record your actions on one play through, then have your computer repeat them over and over again with no user input to farm it forever with no problems.
    Granted; some encounters are single player and likely could be run identically each time. However, Raids don't often have the same 24-player's with the same gear, experience, or builds ~ so I challenge that idea saying the dungeons could be run by one player in an exact same way. Shenanigans ...
    "Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Quote Originally Posted by lolipope View Post
    I don't play the game for the fighting. I play for the adventure. What adventure is there in fighting other players for no other reason than that you can? Where is the fun in that? Nice combat mechanics can make the adventure more enjoyable, but it is still not the motivating force behind my enjoyment.

At least the "predetermined scripted pixels" serve a purpose in the game other than to swing a sword. They are guarding a camp, marching a post, watching for intruders, protecting a treasure, defending a shrine. Other players in PvP are simply there to swing a sword at anything that moves. Sure, they may be skilled keyboard artists, able to tap keys with the best of'em, but their motivation is just to smash and kill; that's it. What makes them so much better than the pixels?

about criminal system, any tools given to improve open world experience would have been welcome but it was totally ignored to focus on pve instances, raid being the most rewarding and token grind specifically for years.
    I figure, if UO can do a criminal system - and having done it in the 90's; 20 years ago - then AoC shouldn't have much problem doing it. Except for the money and work involved in actually doing it. If AoC were mine, I'd invest resources into just such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ckirmser View Post
    I don't play the game for the fighting. I play for the adventure. What adventure is there in fighting other players for no other reason than that you can? Where is the fun in that? Nice combat mechanics can make the adventure more enjoyable, but it is still not the motivating force behind my enjoyment.

At least the "predetermined scripted pixels" serve a purpose in the game other than to swing a sword. They are guarding a camp, marching a post, watching for intruders, protecting a treasure, defending a shrine. Other players in PvP are simply there to swing a sword at anything that moves. Sure, they may be skilled keyboard artists, able to tap keys with the best of'em, but their motivation is just to smash and kill; that's it. What makes them so much better than the pixels?

I figure, if UO can do a criminal system - and having done it in the 90's; 20 years ago - then AoC shouldn't have much problem doing it. Except for the money and work involved in actually doing it. If AoC were mine, I'd invest resources into just such a thing.
    No harm there, it's just you are more of an rp/immersion player and pvpers play more for the combat than the adventure even if they can appreciate it sometimes, i am just pointing out their vision of the game even if totally deceived in aoc until this day is as much valid as yours however spoiled over the years.

about UO, this game open world pvp is legendary and the harmony it had with pve, crafters, traders and simple adventurers is unmatched but the engine is outdated, there is a new ultima coming called shroud of the avatar. aoc engine is way too limited to include everything a game such as ultima offered back in the days, however any open world system would be welcome, i dont believe mmo pvpers enjoy much being stuck in minigames for progression and pvp10 ppl would rather raid to progress since all the weapons are better in pve than pvp bla bla u get the idea.

If there were reason to the PvP other than just an opportunity to whack off limbs, I'd be far more inclined to join in. But, it's no fun to hop into a game inexperienced and without the little bits like macros to make the hacking easier only to be bounced on by far more superior players who take great joy in bashing newbies.

If there were contextual, game-relevant reasons to attack another player, then I'm all for it.

There are annoying players in PvE, too. Just the other night, I was in the Wild Lands hunting Lynxs. Some high-level character came bounding through the fields ahead of me, running to all the lynxs getting them to attack him, locking them out from me being able to kill them towards my quest. Fortunately, I had a bow, so I was able to get a couple before he got to them - though it was close - locking them to me, so I could get the kills, and I only needed two more, anyway, by that point.

But, even that has more in-game context than frantic PvP hack'n slash.

Some players like that. They play to fight others. Fine. But, for me, it's no fun because that would be the player's reason, not the character's.

If Shroud of the Avatar offers combat mechanics, artwork, character variety, animation, etc. on the level of AoC, then I'll be there in a flash.

But, I doubt that it will.

Granted it's still pre-alpha... but if the videos on youtube are any indication of how the combat in Shroud of the Avatar will be then it won't matter one bit if the rest of the game is mind blowingly great to me. The combat looks awful and boring beyond words. Can only hope that changes a *lot*.

https://youtu.be/ny7M3FCNDF8
    Last edited by Raeil; 11th September 2015 at 22:40.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast