Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: customized waypoints

Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post
    Have you tried to set the file on "read only" ?
    well - if I want/need to create-a-new/delete-an-old WP this wouldn't help...

PS: Lehudib, if Yorgomir is able to create WP for all maps, it should be easy for UI creators to propose several sets of icons
    if the Waypoints directory was in Customized and already contains the new waypoints, I wonder A) if you were able to delete those, and b) if so, what happens to the icons then...
    - plus: I would need to use "standardized" file names which must be exactly the same in any Custom UI; what if a player only wants the waypoints but no Custom UI?

p.s. I do have summer vaction currently, but I haven't planned to spend those only editing XML files
    - actually running out of good standard icons for: leaps of faith, racing, bane-of-xx bosses

hehe, yeah I know, I don't have much time for "xml-ing" these days either

As I understand it, you have to edit the waypoint xml file that is in the appdata/.../ folder to specify
    a) the location of the waypoints
    b) the directory where the icons can be found (e.g. : aoc/data/gui/customized/wpicons/)

Am I right?

If the answer is yes:
    AoC UI installer works basically like a automatic copy/paste program.
    You can tell him to copy one set of icons in aoc/data/gui/customized/wpicons/ (to keep the same example)
    or another set of icons that will replace the existing one in aoc/data/gui/customized/wpicons/

In both cases your xml file will use the icons it finds in the wpicons folder, as long as their names match
    So, as long as you have the right xml file, any creator could propose several sets of icons via aoc ui installer, even without any custom UI. In theory.

note: I don't think there is any way for us to use an xml file from the customized folder since aoc automatically saves the waypoints in C:\Users\<your windows user name>\AppData\Local\Funcom\Conan\Prefs\<your AoC account name>\
    note 2: that said, the main problem would remain the same, it won't be possible to edit the waypoints in game. :/
    Last edited by MisterClean; 4th August 2015 at 22:34.

hehe, yeah I know, I don't have much time for "xml-ing" these days either

As I understand it, you have to edit the waypoint xml file that is in the appdata/.../ folder to specify
    a) the location of the waypoints
    b) the directory where the icons can be found (e.g. : aoc/data/gui/customized/wpicons/)

Am I right?
    almost
    the location actually is relative to "aoc/data/gui/default/gfx"
    ...and the usual customization overloading does not work for waypoints
    - so, if you want to use an icon from customized, you need to say: normal_bitmap="../../Customized/wpicons/superdupericon.tga"

this said, there could then be a third instance of customization ofc, along Default and Customized, e.g. WPIcons...

so the aoc/data/gui directory could have a third subdirectory

note: I don't think there is any way for us to use an xml file from the customized folder since aoc automatically saves the waypoints in C:\Users\<your windows user name>\AppData\Local\Funcom\Conan\Prefs\<your AoC account name>\
    note 2: that said, the main problem would remain the same, it won't be possible to edit the waypoints in game. :/
    nah, what I meant: the original waypoint directory (containing the dungeon locations, exit points to other areas and such) actually is in gui/default/waypoints
    - wouldn't it then be possible to have a copy of that directory in gui/customized/waypoints, containing the original xml files merged with the new waypoints? (in other words: predefined custom waypoints)
    -> so the user would still be able to create new (grey) waypoints in-game (as those will be stored into appdata/...), but most prob. not be able to delete any of the predefined ones...

/updated after testing:
    crap, that whole customization methodology does not only *not* work for the icons, but also not for the root xml files :-(
    - the ones in data/gui/customized/waypoints are just ignored...

so much for predefined custom waypoints

/update 2 after more testing:
    it *does* work - you not even need to copy the original xml files from default/waypoints, it's sufficient to only have the custom waypoints stored in customized/waypoints
    but: you need to already have the binary version (.bxml) in customized/waypoints, as those are not recompiled automatically as it is done for the files in appdata
    (the creation of the .bxml files is easy: copy the .xml into the appdata folder, have them compiled [leave/re-enter the area] and move both -.xml plus .bxml- into customized/waypoints)

and one other thing: Waypoints of type="custom" won't work in customized/waypoints - you need another type, any of (destination, region, dungeon) seem to work equally
    - I now use type="destination" as I think this fits better than the others

very first implementation of the above: Customized.zip - just unpack into aoc/data/gui/customized
    - contains only Field of Death with few custom icons
    - you may need to delete the according xml from my first post (the one that goes into appdata)
    Last edited by Yorgomir; 5th August 2015 at 15:01.

I found a way with the aoc.exe tool made by Foxcat (included in the download)

-Download WP.zip
    -Extract in age of conan/data/gui/
    -right click aoc.exe, run it as admin. You will be informed that it is activated

Launch the game
    You can add as many xml files as you want in age of conan/data/gui/Aoc/Yorgomir WP/Waypoints

Tell me if it works for you.
    Last edited by MisterClean; 6th August 2015 at 08:39.

well, I use DefaultUI Enhanced which does not use aoc.exe
    - need to try your StrangeUI on my f2p account then

will do that as soon as I have the time for it

You can use it with any UI don't worry

I included aoc.exe in the file

You can use it with any UI don't worry
    As MisterClean said, it is UI independent. Next version of Default UI Enhanced is likely to feature aoc.exe as well, as I recently helped Smurfas with a similar flash castbar for this UI. You could do the full monty and place the icons in the Aoc folder while you're at it, in eg. Aoc/Yorgomir WP/gfx/WpIcons and then skip the ../../Customized part of every image reference within the waypoint .xml files.

Very nice work with the waypoints btw!
    Last edited by Sifie; 6th August 2015 at 08:56.

yepp, it does work with aoc.exe - eliminates the need to create the .bxml files manually, nice
    /udate NO - it does not work!
    it does show the customized waypoints, but the original waypoints are missing!
    see screenshots in initial post:
    - all red dungeon dots (Cradle of Decay, Toirdealbach's Tomb, Kyllikki's Crypt) are missing
    - all yellow dots (exits to other areas) are missing
    - all green dots (destination spots) are missing as well

--> it seems we need the content of the original waypoints XML as well, not only the new ones...
    (from what I've noticed, aoc.exe just overrides the original files, whereas it *should* merge the contents)

unfortunatelly the server has just been shutdown for restart, so I have to wait until its online again...

---
    what is this aoc.exe? what does it do?
    - I read something about shockwave castbars?

those are the ones with fancy effects on the pro side, but which are always present on the con side, am I right?
    I don't like that, there should be no castbars when there is no spell cast; even a shallow one is very disturbing

just a matter of individual taste I guess...

what I would like to have is the possibility to make the text in the standard castbar more readable, can this be done with aoc.exe somehow?
    - whatever size and attributes the text is been given in the xml, it's just ignored :/
    Last edited by Yorgomir; 6th August 2015 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgomir View Post
    it does show the customized waypoints, but the original waypoints are missing!/
    Aye, it'll replace the original waypoint file of the same name in the Default\Waypoints folder on launch, and restore the original on exit. Therefore you don't see the original waypoints. But it can handle this too, with a few minor changes.

If you rename the custom PF1020.xml to PF1020.xml.add, let it remain in the Aoc\Yorgomir WP\Waypoints folder. Edit your waypoint file and remove the top 3 lines, down to and including the <Root> tag. Then scroll to the bottom of the file and remove the end </Root> tag. In short, your custom waypoints file should not contain the <Root> tags or anything outside these.

Then it will be added to the existing PF1020.xml file, with the content of your PF1020.xml just above the end </Root> tag of the original PF1020. Here is a link to your PF1020.xml as it needs to be changed for this approach to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgomir View Post
    what is this aoc.exe? what does it do?
    aoc.exe is a launcher like AoCQS, it skips the patcher and keep your custom UI up to date through patches. It is developed to allow for full integration of custom flash elements in game, but can be used to get your custom waypoints, mouse pointers or other customizations patched into Default folder on each game start and have it returned to your original vanilla installation on game exit.

Hope the above clarified things a bit.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Sifie; 6th August 2015 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifie View Post
    If you rename the custom PF1020.xml to PF1020.xml.add, let it remain in the Aoc\Yorgomir WP\Waypoints folder. Edit your waypoint file and remove the top 3 lines, down to and including the <Root> tag. Then scroll to the bottom of the file and remove the end </Root> tag. In short, your custom waypoints file should not contain the <Root> tags or anything outside these.

Then it will be added to the existing PF1020.xml file, with the content of your PF1020.xml just above the end </Root> tag of the original PF1020. Here is a link to your PF1020.xml as it needs to be changed for this approach to work.
    sweet - exactly as I needed it

just updated the FotD screenshots in my first post, looking correct now

Quote Originally Posted by Sifie View Post
    aoc.exe is a launcher like AoCQS, it skips the patcher and keep your custom UI up to date through patches. It is developed to allow for full integration of custom flash elements in game, but can be used to get your custom waypoints, mouse pointers or other customizations patched into Default folder on each game start and have it returned to your original vanilla installation on game exit.

Hope the above clarified things a bit.

Cheers!
    well, if it skips the original Launcher, what about updates to the Game (not the custom UI) - how do I get those then?
    - and the information distributed via the Launcher (e.g. important hotfix news, whether the server is on-/offline, upcoming updates, ...); where are those shown now?

anyhow: is there a FAQ or something (preferrably with screenshots) of what's possible with aoc.exe regarding flash elements and other features?
    just starting to get interesting ;-)
    Last edited by Yorgomir; 6th August 2015 at 14:25.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast