Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Funcom, whats going on ?

Quote Originally Posted by xCodename View Post
    I am not sure why they behave like that, maybe it's FC who said them to care more about TSW since it has the bigger playerbase...

EDIT: There was once a german community manager (Waldgeist) who really cared about AoC, he was really great but got fired by FC... so just saying, there were better times with our com. managers
    I think it's pretty simple. The B2P model for TSW means that FC need to market the game to make money through new box sales or item shop purchases. The sub model for AoC means that AoC provides a steady - though declining - revenue stream which doesn't require marketing effort. In other words, I am pretty sure that Sezmra and Tomium do not have unlimited discretion as to how much time they spend on TSW and how much on AoC...

Of course, this is a very short-term business model, which doesn't take account of the fact that AoC most likely has more potential than TSW in the mid to long term. But given their financial situation, FC's decisions regarding their live games have been driven by short-term considerations for quite some time (ever since TSW was taken B2P).

Couldn't agree more on the awesome work done by players like Moriala, Cynara, Johara, Slith and Henryx though. So much stuff which FC could use for marketing the game, if only they made an effort. And you are absolutely right about Waldgeist...
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

MMO news site Massively Overpowered published an article concerning Funcom's plight this morning.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/10/fu...r-acquisition/

If anyone has a rich uncle, now is the time to make that phone call. I think the entire company could be bought for $10 million USD at this point but it would mean taking on all of Funcom's debt.
    Guild 'House Jade Asp' - PvE server

Quote Originally Posted by Radicaltop View Post
    MMO news site Massively Overpowered published an article concerning Funcom's plight this morning.

If anyone has a rich uncle, now is the time to make that phone call. I think the entire company could be bought for $10 million USD at this point but it would mean taking on all of Funcom's debt.
    Interesting news, thanks! Looks like things might get interesting in the next few months...
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq

I cannot believe FC counted on LEGO to save them.
    I would love to see the video of the guy who came up with that masterplan presenting it to the board. Such a joke.

Anyway, good luck to them if they expect anybody to invest in them at that point. As for buying them, yeah sure, spend a ton of money for debts and the worst reputation in the business.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

Quote Originally Posted by Radicaltop View Post

First I want to say, how pathetic is it than in their 2 sentence article that they couldn't even mention Aoc. And then mods defending not mentioning it in the comments is even more a joke.

Next, Funcom did this to themselves. Believing Lego would be another huge cash crab so they can move on to another. Having this kind of business model is why its come to this. Can't say I feel bad for Funcom (honestly who would, they treat us and Aoc like crap), but I feel bad for the game and the people that still believe something will happen. A very slim chance anyone will have a remote interest in dumping money into this failed company. Enjoy Aoc as long as you can.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    First I want to say, how pathetic is it than in their 2 sentence article that they couldn't even mention Aoc. And then mods defending not mentioning it in the comments is even more a joke.

Next, Funcom did this to themselves. Believing Lego would be another huge cash crab so they can move on to another. Having this kind of business model is why its come to this. Can't say I feel bad for Funcom (honestly who would, they treat us and Aoc like crap), but I feel bad for the game and the people that still believe something will happen. A very slim chance anyone will have a remote interest in dumping money into this failed company. Enjoy Aoc as long as you can.
    Honestly, for AoC, this is not necessarily a bad thing. In the hands of Funcom, AoC would have been continued on life support until expiry of the license. This new development opens up a number of additional options. In the worst case, they don't find an investor, go bankrupt, and the game is shut down. But there are also more positive scenarios. When preparing their pitch to investors, the investment bank won't miss that AoC is an undervalued asset. So assuming that they succeed in finding an investor, maybe the investor would make use of AoC's upside potential, and do a little bit more for the game (no reason to expect wonders, but at least a little more effort). And even if the investor concludes that it's not worth the effort (because the initial sunk investment is too high), they would be stupid not to keep AoC running on life support, just like FC would have done.
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Honestly, for AoC, this is not necessarily a bad thing. In the hands of Funcom, AoC would have been continued on life support until expiry of the license. This new development opens up a number of additional options. In the worst case, they don't find an investor, go bankrupt, and the game is shut down. But there are also more positive scenarios. When preparing their pitch to investors, the investment bank won't miss that AoC is an undervalued asset. So assuming that they succeed in finding an investor, maybe the investor would make use of AoC's upside potential, and do a little bit more for the game (no reason to expect wonders, but at least a little more effort). And even if the investor concludes that it's not worth the effort (because the initial sunk investment is too high), they would be stupid not to keep AoC running on life support, just like FC would have done.
    I like your positive attitude.
    But an investor or a bank does not care how much you love this game.
    AoC survival decreases 10% in each year.
    The content is getting worse becasue there is no money and there is no development team behind this money.
    Sorry to say but this is Fact! T6 is gonna be a remake of a half done content. Like Vanaheim was.
    Only one thing could save AoC, if they sell it to another company under a new name with a new development team.
    But seeing the MMO market today, AoC has not much chance to keep the distance with the newcomers.
    Even if this is still a great game! Just missing some polishment and upgrade.
    There is another way to keep the spirit alive if the situtaion goes wrong.
    Make a petition! To sell it or make it completely free.
    Because your money is already in it, and you do not want to lose your money.
    Vykthor (Barb) - Vykthorya (Demo) - Vyko (Guard) - Vyky (Pom)

"No Fear! No Limits! No Equal!" / SENNA /

Quote Originally Posted by Vyky View Post
    I like your positive attitude.
    But an investor or a bank does not care how much you love this game.
    AoC survival decreases 10% in each year.
    The content is getting worse becasue there is no money and there is no development team behind this money.
    There is another way to keep the spirit alive if the situtaion goes wrong.
    Make a petition! To sell it or make it completely free.
    Because your money is already in it, and you do not want to lose your money.
    The player base is shrinking, and so are sub revenues, but here is the thing: sub revenues have exceed FC's expectations for quite some time. I.e., they are losing less players than they thought they would. Which means that a rational investor would probably invest (a little bit) more into the game than FC have been doing.

I agree it's nice to dream about fan-run versions of AoC, but I don't really see that happening. FC are in need of money, they won't make it free. And in case they go bankrupt, the insolvency trustee even has a legal obligation to sell off assets.
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq

We need to start a letter writing campaign to Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is worth an estimated $300 million USD. Arnold can help save the game related to the franchise that helped make him famous.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ger-net-worth/
    Guild 'House Jade Asp' - PvE server

Quote Originally Posted by Vyky View Post
    Sorry to say but this is Fact! T6 is gonna be a remake of a half done content. Like Vanaheim was.
    Sorry to say but it can't be any farther from the fact. T6 will be entirely new instance called Palace of Cetriss with entirely new encounters, maybe go TL and check it out instead.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Evil Elitist Veteran Wanker ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

-- Make AoC Great Again --

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast