Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old original player checking in

Default Old original player checking in

Hi there! Most of you will have no idea who I am though I was an avid forum haunter back in the day, primarily posting on the Cimmeria RP-PvP forums where I played. I see this game is down to 3 servers now and, of course, none of them are RP-oriented, which was one of the many reasons I left this game after so heavily supporting it since well before launch. So I'm curious as to where the game stands now. What's the store like? Is there player housing now? Did they ever add more hairstyles? How far have the guild cities come and what can you do with them and how easy is it to build them up? What's the content like in F2P vs. having a subscription? Is there still an RP community worth being involved in? If yes, what server are they on? Thanks in advance for your responses!

~Pantherea

Quote Originally Posted by lamiastrix View Post
    Hi there! Most of you will have no idea who I am though I was an avid forum haunter back in the day, primarily posting on the Cimmeria RP-PvP forums where I played. I see this game is down to 3 servers now and, of course, none of them are RP-oriented, which was one of the many reasons I left this game after so heavily supporting it since well before launch. So I'm curious as to where the game stands now.
    welcome back!

What's the store like?
    mostly you can find vanity armor and weapons, pvp 1 armor and weapons, some sets of blue pve armor (that are quite crap as stats, but looks like t4 pve armor, just with a different color), pets, mounts, potions... and something more...
    i guess from an rp point of view, the best part are the vanity armors.

Is there player housing now?
    no

Did they ever add more hairstyles?
    i don't know when you left, if it was before khitai, definitely yes.
    after that, i think they added mostly hair dyes.

How far have the guild cities come and what can you do with them and how easy is it to build them up?
    as far as i know, nothing changed about the buildings cost, so they still require a shitload of materials.

What's the content like in F2P vs. having a subscription?
    f2p can access kyllikki and yakhmar t1, all the old world dungeons (but only in normal mode), and the turan expansion, if you bought it (it has 2 solo dungeons, 1 group dungeon and the t3.5 raid instance).

Is there still an RP community worth being involved in? If yes, what server are they on?
    i don't know for sure, but i think there is still some rp guild on crom. i guess you'd better look on the guilds section.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

~Pantherea
    you're welcome.
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Yep, bought Turan when I came back quite awhile ago and gave Wiccanna a try, which I see is now also gone so there's not even an "unofficial" RP server any more. I was really annoyed to discover I could not access Khitai wihtout a sub though. Is that still the case? Also, it sounds like they haven't done anything with adding new stuff to the cash shop in a long time either. I find that both surprising and disappointing.

Yep, bought Turan when I came back quite awhile ago and gave Wiccanna a try, which I see is now also gone so there's not even an "unofficial" RP server any more. I was really annoyed to discover I could not access Khitai wihtout a sub though. Is that still the case? Also, it sounds like they haven't done anything with adding new stuff to the cash shop in a long time either. I find that both surprising and disappointing.
    Khitai does indeed require a subscription (in addition to owning the RotGS expansion.)

There have been some new stuff added to the cash shop from time to time. Not very much, but some.

Whatever RP there is (and there is still some, though not nearly as one could wish) can be found on Crom.

You cannot access Khitai without a sub. You cannot access dragonspine without a sub. Well to be clear, you can access the level 20-40 zone in khitai but none of the level 80 zones.

They have added things but they have done nothing for the RP community since launch day. RP-PVP servers used to be awsome until they just decided to abandon their own RP rule set. After that most of the RP guilds left. There are one or two around still on the pve server but I do not know much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oduda View Post
    You cannot access Khitai without a sub. You cannot access dragonspine without a sub. Well to be clear, you can access the level 20-40 zone in khitai but none of the level 80 zones.

They have added things but they have done nothing for the RP community since launch day. RP-PVP servers used to be awsome until they just decided to abandon their own RP rule set. After that most of the RP guilds left. There are one or two around still on the pve server but I do not know much about them.
    Ah thanks for the info. So Crom is the PvE server. Breaks my heart that there is no RP PvP server any longer. I guess the "pure" PvPers killed it...along with that insane game director that totally FUBAR-ed this game back when I was still playing it.

The FC live games - TSW, AoC, and AO - are maintained by an integrated live team. The team is small to start with, and the limited resources available are focused on TSW (for evident reasons, as otherwise the B2P model wouldn't make them any money). So don't expect wonders in terms of new content, even in the item shop.

The most significant addition to the item shop in recent times has been the Shadows of Vanaheim "adventure pack". If you have been reading the forums at all, you might have seen that its reception here has been somewhat "controversial". If you're interested, a number of players have written fair & balanced reviews of the new content pack.

In my view, the main reasons to come back to this game are atmosphere (graphic design, music, lore & setting), combat system, and any friends you may still have in the game. By contrast, I wouldn't resub in the hope of game-changing new content or systems updates.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    The FC live games - TSW, AoC, and AO - are maintained by an integrated live team. The team is small to start with, and the limited resources available are focused on TSW (for evident reasons, as otherwise the B2P model wouldn't make them any money). So don't expect wonders in terms of new content, even in the item shop.

The most significant addition to the item shop in recent times has been the Shadows of Vanaheim "adventure pack". If you have been reading the forums at all, you might have seen that its reception here has been somewhat "controversial". If you're interested, a number of players have written fair & balanced reviews of the new content pack.

In my view, the main reasons to come back to this game are atmosphere (graphic design, music, lore & setting), combat system, and any friends you may still have in the game. By contrast, I wouldn't resub in the hope of game-changing new content or systems updates.
    Thanks for the info. It's really sad to see the state this potentially great game has fallen to. Funcom could have done so much better.

All 3 Servers have a pretty low population (if you compare them to other MMO Games) Rage is completely dead (almost nothing going on there, maybe 2 or 3 players online at one time) and Fury seems to die too (regarding to the forum posts and things I heard 2 months ago from some people ingame).
    Only Crom got a decent population for AoC-Standards but the RP Community is only a very very small part of it. Most rolepay is going on in Khemi but I wouldn't speak of high quality RP with long time stories there... well, you will see what I mean if you try it out (Could have changed, last time I actively did RP was almost a year ago and its just my opinion of the actual situation). There are a few roleplay guilds but I don't know the names of them, you should ask ingame for some names.
    Last edited by xCodename; 8th June 2015 at 18:01.

Thanks for the info. It's really sad to see the state this potentially great game has fallen to. Funcom could have done so much better.
    They sure could have. That said, there's still a lot of that original greatness left in the game, and the few people working on it are doing what they can. Whether that is enough reason to play the game really depends on how much you care about the things which make it unique (art design, combat system, etc).

If you have a soft spot for nostalgia, read Slith's interview with Gaute Godager (AoC's first game director) here.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast