Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Review: Shadows of Cimmeria, um I mean Vanaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Here are the facts:

The expansion pack is not polished and tested. There are quests you cant complete. Mobs are bugged. Textures are amazingly badly applied in various locations. The zone lacks details over all. The zone should have been bigger, at least twice as big, for the price youve paid. The amount of content is just not enough.

Its great with new content. Im willing to pay for it, everyone is willing to pay for it.

The only right thing is to add more zones and content to this expansion. The Blue Mountains took 1 min to run through.
    The expansion doesnt feel professional at all tbh.

But i love AoC and i will still play it!
    uhmm no, I am not willing to pay for an content update, since I pay a monthly fee, it is a different thing, if it is an addon with two or more big areas with lots of new stuff that keeps my character busy and makes him better, but this update is simply a slap in the face to all who pay for the game

Quote Originally Posted by Ryhnn View Post
    uhmm no, I am not willing to pay for an content update, since I pay a monthly fee, it is a different thing, if it is an addon with two or more big areas with lots of new stuff that keeps my character busy and makes him better, but this update is simply a slap in the face to all who pay for the game
    Monthly fee of what, I pay about £4/month as I just re-subbed and took the 12 month option. That's pretty low.
    A bocor creates a zombie by walking to his victim's house backward. He sucks out the person's soul through an opening in the door, then quickly blows it in a bottle which is then sealed. Without a soul, the victim wastes away and dies and after burial, the bocur digs up the body and casts a spell over it.

DAWNSONG - Active since 2008

LOVE YOUR DEVELOPERS, THEY'RE REAL PEOPLE TOO.

People can and always probably will debate charging for content and areas. Some players don't mind, others do. I will admit that Vanaheim was poorly communicated, as most players were caught off guard and expected it to be part of the normal update cycle.

The bigger issue at hand really should be the quality of this paid content. Judging by the reviews and screenshots I have seen, this content is looks rushed, and is downright sloppy in some places. The bear mount, one of the key "features", couldn't even jump on the day they released it. The content sounds unimaginative and grindy. The "new areas" do not sound as impressive as people are led to believe.

Now I am not game developer, so I do not know firsthand the challenges of creating something like this. However, I also do not think you need to provide expert credentials to provide criticism or hold the team accountable for quality content. Is this a solid addition to the game? Is it worth the value of the purchase? And more importantly, since the team talk like they intend to use this model going forward to deliver new content, how many people would pay for this type (and quality) of an update in the future?

Age of Conan is a 7 year old game. It has had several new zones and areas, and expansions. This feels like the kind of mistake a new company would make in the first 6 months after launch.

Here are my thoughts about the content after running it twice.

I like the 2 new outdoor zones, in that they are both new areas we haven't tread before. That gave me something totally new to explore. I did find some issues with the playfields, most notably Fort Storisbjorn, where the building textures and the ground don't line up properly, letting you look under buildings. Some of the rock placements didn't feel natural. I noticed water from the lake/pond leaking through the ground inside the walls of the fort. All in all, nothing too serious to complain about. I understand that the zones were probably rather rushed out, with as little effort as possible so you could get more done.

It doesn't really bother me at all that you re-used Conall's Valley or the interior of Atzel's Fortress. I get how creating instances inside buildings is a lot more complicated and time-intensive.

As for the quests, the main storyline quest seemed a bit short. Not a lot of story to it. They didn't feel nearly as awesome as the stories you find in quests in TSW. A lot of the side quests feel really grindy, as if the intention is to try and make you clear the entire zone every time through. Add to that that the quests are typical uninteresting filler quests. It isn't all that fun to have those typical kill x mobs, pick up x items from the ground quests. Give us some more unique and interesting quests that take more than mindless clicking to complete.

Faction gain seems far too slow. It will take a very long time to get to rank 4. This seems like far too much un-necessary grinding, of boring quests and tons of mobs to get anywhere. One thing you could do is make all mobs give faction when you kill them, just like in Khitai.

I'm also not sure about the prices of all the rewards, especially in terms of how long it takes to build up the Tokens to buy them all.

The 2 account wide mounts included with the collector's addition are honestly worth the entire price just for them. That part I really like, though I wish the mounts worked like other mounts (i.e. Quick dismount and attack while riding). Oh, and when riding the bear, you view wobbles a bit side to side, which gets a bit annoying when heading anywhere. You can't buy account wide mounts from the item shop normally, so this make the price for those really reasonable. For someone who doesn't care for mounts, then I easily can see the price as being too much. Maybe you should include a cheaper 'content only' option in the item shop.

All in all, it could have been better, but I'm not too disappointed with the content. The biggest improvement you could do for next time is make the questing experience much more engaging.

Exclamation

I don't usually jump into the mix when things go negative, but I think that this thread is honestly trying to either get Funcom's attention with some legitimate discussions on this mess (and it is a mess).

I'll be short (no pun intended, I am short in RL):

1. The content pack feels rushed (the ideas were there, just not the polished). Graphical problems, quest glitches, and the dialog is really, really bad at times. Next time I am in game, I am going to try and see how many times I can work "reciprocate" into global or NPH chat...

2. Including a cursed item as an incentive to buy or extend your subscription is a bad idea, especially since you couldn't tell at the time what the curse was. If you want to include a purple item or items with a subscription offer in the future, give the subscriber enough relics/coinage/etc to buy the item they want to buy.

3. Failing to adequately communicate that the anniversary event was really AA points and the new subscription offers, not the content pack was a real problem. In fact, communication here has been a real problem. Most AoC players are pretty passionate for the game, to the point of being obnoxious at times. But WE DO CARE, if we didn't we and OUR MONEY would have been gone a long time ago. If there had been communication all along, then I don't think that all the associated anger would have been nearly as bad, and could have been avoided.

Engage us...we want to reciprocate in a healthy dialog. ;-)

AoC'ers want to hear from you, we want to talk with you. We want to share information and we want to see these game grow and bring in new players. I have to be honest, when I am asked in NPH if it is worth subscribing or continuing to play this game beyond Tortage, I have to bite my lip...hard. I don't hold a grudge against anyone in FC, the GMs that I have had the pleasure to work with, have been the nicest folks. When I read the posts from the devs, I appreciate what they have to say.

But guess what, if you get past the trolls, there are some really nice folks (players) in the game...TALK TO US.

K

Well said.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

Quote Originally Posted by Karla View Post
    AoC'ers want to hear from you, we want to talk with you.
    But guess what, if you get past the trolls, there are some really nice folks (players) in the game...TALK TO US.
    I for one don't share this opinion. I do not care to talk to funcom at all. But i expect a minimum from any company, like when you publish something, you also publish a release note, it's like mandatory everywhere except at funcom apparently, where ninja patches, nerfes and bugs get pushed to live all the time, but i guess it's to be expected when there's 0 QA.

A company should also provide a roadmap. Or at least, when you say the crafting revamp will be in the patch 4.6, you make it so. And if you don't, you make a statement of why it is not pushed to live yet, publishing the progress and the estimate date to when it is pushed back.

You also have to make clear communication about palace of cetriss and the slithering chaos, because when something has been promised for years and is still nowhere to be done, there has to be a reason behind it.

All in all, the reason why all this is not done is because funcom has nothing to say about all these matters. They do not intend to deliver anything meaningful (crafting revamp, cetriss, slithering chaos) at all, and will try to scam the playerbase with super low quality super grindy reused content instead.
    Any company with a decent behavior toward its customer and/or a minimum of integrity would make clear statements about their activity. Only a shady scammers company does not do that.

Anyway, funcom is broke and failed on everything they undertook, so we can rage at how badly AoC is handled as a product, it won't change anything.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

One thing I noticed: rings for tanks are not really worth of buying, you can get tank rings better from khitai, for example conq can go carnage and succesfully make biggest dps in raids.

I suggest making wider class restrictions, ring for barb should be usable also for conqs, ring for bs should be usable for conq too because 2hb dps, strenght,crits.

idk hows other classes maybe some ppls can be also dissapointed. Items make ppl's buying it but for me now its not worth I will wait untill I can get some usable items not only vanity.

For me content is quite ok, it didn't took much time to made, quests aren't always same, but items- maybe not more but they should have changed or removed class relations.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWayne12 View Post

For me content is quite ok, it didn't took much time to made, quests aren't always same, but items- maybe not more but they should have changed or removed class relations.
    So you are ok with this?

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploa...5ytkz3vw9s.png
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-f5ADmf7TK9...fM/s1600/7.png

Would you play AOC if the rest of the game looked like that?

Just curious what your standards of quality are
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    So you are ok with this?

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploa...5ytkz3vw9s.png
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-f5ADmf7TK9...fM/s1600/7.png

Would you play AOC if the rest of the game looked like that?

Just curious what your standards of quality are
    I play on 2560x1440 on highest setting if you ask. If we talk about some bigger patches, mechanics should be at 1 place, next are graphic glitches.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123