Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHADOW OF VANAHEIM : Congratulations to Funcom !!!

Smile SHADOW OF VANAHEIM : Congratulations to Funcom !!!

I do not agree with the polemic launched by some players who are always criticizing and screaming because the payment of the small extension of the Shadow Vanaheim.

This new content on the occasion of the anniversary of the game is well done and great fun to play.

Of course we have to buy it, so what? who believes that hairdressers shave gratis ? Developers also need to live and a video game company is not able to live without money coming in ...
    We must stop always want the butter to eat it and the money of it.

The shadow of Vanaheim is a success, in the spirit of Howard's Conan the Cimmerian works on, with fairly numerous quests... and with a hard final boss to kill !!
    More than the Halloween event type, this new small area can be explored several times with some changing quests ...
    There had been no new horizons for some time: that is it!

So my advice to players : buy this extension and have fun.

Congratulations to Funcom'devs who show that with a small team, they still do a great job!

Long life to AOC !
    FURY

Mister Complicated,

This is said without to be humorous, without parody... it 's just a sincere thought.
    FURY

Quote Originally Posted by Battleaxe View Post
    Mister Complicated,

This is said without to be humorous, without parody... it 's just a sincere thought.

"Morgan's Maxim"

Another precedent posted on Usenet dates to 2001. Following the well-known schema of Arthur C. Clarke's third law, Alan Morgan wrote:

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook."

You found that fun?

I thought it was grindier than that awful rice quest. And then I had hard mode bug out on me as well.

The shadow of Vanaheim is a success
    I agree. The remaining 200 people playing aoc probably went out and bought it. huge success.

So my advice to players : buy this extension and have fun. Congratulations to Funcom'devs who show that with a small team, they still do a great job!
    i didn't buy it, but i watched henryx youtube playthrough. it's nothing more then just grinding mobs. killing 125 vanir is fun? there is about 5 minutes worth of story. that poor excuse for an update shouldn't be priced at more then $5.

The fact that there is any new content is awesome. The fact that the "collectors edition" costs $30 for about $5 worth of content, while people are standing around with their hands in the air asking "What exactly is our subscription paying for?" is what people are angry about.

If you think it's $30 worth of content, then go ahead and buy it and enjoy it and praise it, but keep in mind that you're really lowering the bar on what $30 worth of content looks like. If you look at how much content we got for $30 with RoTGS, then look at how much you get for the same price in this adventure pack, then you should be angry too.

New content : Always welcomed, no matter if it's just "ok-ish" instead of a more consistent update like Turan or even Dragonspine. Really, had it been free, we would all be happy with that.

Making it available only after purchase even for subscribed players is really, really, borderline, considering how small it is. Dragonspine was free for subbed players, after all. What really killed it was the timing, the very ambigous statement to hype it, and the numerous other very unpleasant surprise that came out at the same time. The enormous joke of the sub offer necklace, the fact that there's no anniversary event, the insane grind required to level the new faction, adn so on.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedelyia View Post
    New content : Always welcomed, no matter if it's just "ok-ish" instead of a more consistent update like Turan or even Dragonspine. Really, had it been free, we would all be happy with that.

Making it available only after purchase even for subscribed players is really, really, borderline, considering how small it is. Dragonspine was free for subbed players, after all. What really killed it was the timing, the very ambigous statement to hype it, and the numerous other very unpleasant surprise that came out at the same time. The enormous joke of the sub offer necklace, the fact that there's no anniversary event, the insane grind required to level the new faction, adn so on.
    With proper marketing/info and a real price (not that unrealistic greedy one) along with something free for the anniversary, i bet nothing of the shitstorm would have happened. As you say, new content is always welcomed, even copy and paste grind one. But it has to stay in pace and line with the rest of the game.

And still their tactic is to use their employees as shields to give cheap marketing speech (which btw is easily proven wrong by history and facts) and now even private initiative to market on these forums as well (somethign new? Vanir invading Cimmeria? Get real...Spirit of Howard? He left out Cimmeria from his stories for a reason to keep it mysterious, but the new books destroyed it completely imo. Also, if Funcom needs money, why try to do the EA triple A stunt??? You do not have the resources and you can not afford to loose a single customer or even a casual f2p player, if things are really so serious.)

Why not do the right thing and pull back the stunt? It still is not too late, especially when you have the press on it already. Turn a bad thing into something good, please.

- Bear mount as single shop item for good money price (since there seem people buying the content just for the mount anyway)
    - reskin some armor at least in color! no one will buy the content just for vanity items you can farm already in lvl20 conalls valley and lvl40 eiglo mountains.
    - offer the old anniversary content again for free and offer gilding tokens that way!
    - give a free trial period to the shadows of vanaheim for all subscribers! and a discount during a few weeks time!
    - apologize sincerely for this blunt moneygrabbing stunt!

Sezmras and Ciriths explanation fit why they released a content patch (but it does contradict why they released it THIS way) and it is not a bad idea to release more copy and paste stuff like it in the future, but please do it properly! e.g. realistic prices, unique content, less timesinks and personally i would hope for full raid access for roleplay reasons. You should also consider a more Turanlike approach, e.g. one new hub with a few linked questzones. Or try adding something random to avoid the "kill xy ymirish vanir picts" dilemma.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 24th May 2015 at 16:45.

Edit by Anzu: And I have claws.

A few weeks ago I was entertaining the idea of re-subbing just to play around with the achievements.(I should mention I wanted to enter the zones I had already paid for but can't access unless I sub.) But this special "anniversary celebration" slapped me back into reality and I remembered what kind of company Funcom runs.

edit: VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET. DO NOT SUPPORT BAD CONTENT!!!!
    Last edited by kinlock; 25th May 2015 at 17:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast