Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with the new patch?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek-Drake View Post
    I mean seriously, they are NOT giving us the same level of content that other subscription games get for their monthly $15 fee. For instance EVE Online has added ten times the content that AoC has added this year and since we pay a subscription fee, ALL Of the new EVE content was 100% free.
    Yeah EVE is on more than 20 completely free expansions for subscribers that all have way more content then we've ever gotten. That is how you run a subscription based game... by coming though on a return of content for your money. Funcom just hasn't figured that one out yet.
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

That would be rewarding the supreme and absolute incompetence FC put on display here (funcompetence even). No. I don't want to give a single dime to FC after this, I don't want them to get a dime from anyone after this, in fact I want to hear FC is sacking whatever shiteating corporate suit thought this up (I know it wasn't the devs who ****ed up here) and/or declaring bankruptcy and shutdown now because this level of idiocy can't be allowed to continue.

They've finally managed to get my AoC uninstalled and drive me out of here for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Usedtissue View Post
    Yeah EVE is on more than 20 completely free expansions for subscribers that all have way more content then we've ever gotten. That is how you run a subscription based game... by coming though on a return of content for your money. Funcom just hasn't figured that one out yet.

I mean seriously, they are NOT giving us the same level of content that other subscription games get for their monthly $15 fee. For instance EVE Online has added ten times the content that AoC has added this year and since we pay a subscription fee, ALL Of the new EVE content was 100% free.
    Thats my main point why I won't pay a monthly fee for AoC anymore. Normally the subscription money is for new content (besides something like ROTGS) like the newest one its just a ripoff what FC is trying to do here.

And that "excuse" (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...ow-of-Vanaheim) sounds not very good. It seems like FC want's to release every new content like the last one. Pay a monthly fee + pay for small content update. I really don't get how any manager came to such an stupid idea.

I would never blame the developers, I bet they are doing awesome work with their limited resources, the "enemy" is FC's marketing / financial department.
    Last edited by xCodename; 22nd May 2015 at 13:54.

Quote Originally Posted by skranken View Post
    TSW has alot more subscribers than AoC have.. I am sure that game can fund its own developement. TSW generate more income -> get more devtime -> Get more content.

I dont think AoC income goes into TSW, I would be surprised if there is any money left after covering running costs + some very rare content release tbh.

Of course we wont know for sure, but counting the number of people I met ingame I am happy to just get new content.. And if paying for that content will help fund future content, then im happy to do so.

EDIT: I have been an Anarchy Online subscriber the last 12 years before I came here, and there we get new content once every 3-4 years.. Maybe that is why my expectations are way below yours..
    I'm not a TSW player (I don't care for modern settings) but I'm pretty certain that TSW is a Buy to Play title now and that you don't have to subscribe to play. At the very least the end game content isn't locked behind a sub wall like AoC. What I'm getting at here is that TSW isn't generating enough revenue on it's own to fund the kinds of regular expansions it seems to be getting.

I'm a Windows system administrator for a company called Leidos. I am solely responsible for a server room with two server racks that have several physical servers and dozens of virtual machines, plus all the connected clients. The cost of running a server is pretty low, especially if you are the owner of that server and not renting space on a server farm like most MMO's do these days. I would bet that a single instance of AoC, at current population levels, can run on a server rack with no more than six application servers and a single database server. AoC came out before VMWare was fairly standard so I doubt they're using less hardware and running VSphere or I would say it could run on four virtual machines with dynamic load balancing / page migration in place.

Six servers running 24/7 with a once a week restart, which is really all "maintenance" is, is not all that expensive. The building housing those servers comes out of overhead. The money paid to the developers is a salary and it comes out of overhead. I just don't see these running costs that you think exist. They pay electricity to run the servers and probably 1-2 developers to work on the game. Considering those developers are working and living in North Carolina, one of the lowest cost of living states in the nation (I grew up in North Georgia right on the Carolina border) they probably are making a good living in the 65-80k a year range. Also, the game shares it's space with TSW, AO and the Lego game so all of those titles are sharing the same overhead costs (Again, assuming they aren't paying a server farm to host their software). I wouldn't be surprised if the AoC developers are also working on FC's other titles which would further consolidate operating costs.

So what I'm saying is, that given what I know about how server based services industries work, there really aren't the overhead costs you think there are and that I still firmly believe that a large portion of AoC subs are going to develop TSW.

I've deleted my payment option, I recommend you to do the same. So they're either forced to do improvements for us. Remember theres higherups and owners of funcom that wants their salerys. Im not giving them that with nothing in return.
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

I am afraid that for developers the only way to reassure the people is urgent to come up with an official statement the community immediately gets what has long been expected. Immediately means now, or at the latest within one month. By this I mean craft revamp, Cetriss, T4 PvP gear or new AA. People should not have to wait longer than one month because of too many times they have been cheated. Do it, while it is not yet too late!
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Yes Edit by Anzu: Catcom, the game company run by cats! is continuing their foul EA ways, continuing to nickle and dime us for every single thing while not providing content and upgrades promised over 2 years ago (which has already been paid for).

They have turned into Edit by Anzu: Language. wall street stock brokers.
    Last edited by Anzu; 25th May 2015 at 15:14.

I'm not a TSW player (I don't care for modern settings) but I'm pretty certain that TSW is a Buy to Play title now and that you don't have to subscribe to play. At the very least the end game content isn't locked behind a sub wall like AoC. What I'm getting at here is that TSW isn't generating enough revenue on it's own to fund the kinds of regular expansions it seems to be getting.

I'm a Windows system administrator for a company called Leidos. I am solely responsible for a server room with two server racks that have several physical servers and dozens of virtual machines, plus all the connected clients. The cost of running a server is pretty low, especially if you are the owner of that server and not renting space on a server farm like most MMO's do these days. I would bet that a single instance of AoC, at current population levels, can run on a server rack with no more than six application servers and a single database server. AoC came out before VMWare was fairly standard so I doubt they're using less hardware and running VSphere or I would say it could run on four virtual machines with dynamic load balancing / page migration in place.

Six servers running 24/7 with a once a week restart, which is really all "maintenance" is, is not all that expensive. The building housing those servers comes out of overhead. The money paid to the developers is a salary and it comes out of overhead. I just don't see these running costs that you think exist. They pay electricity to run the servers and probably 1-2 developers to work on the game. Considering those developers are working and living in North Carolina, one of the lowest cost of living states in the nation (I grew up in North Georgia right on the Carolina border) they probably are making a good living in the 65-80k a year range. Also, the game shares it's space with TSW, AO and the Lego game so all of those titles are sharing the same overhead costs (Again, assuming they aren't paying a server farm to host their software). I wouldn't be surprised if the AoC developers are also working on FC's other titles which would further consolidate operating costs.

So what I'm saying is, that given what I know about how server based services industries work, there really aren't the overhead costs you think there are and that I still firmly believe that a large portion of AoC subs are going to develop TSW.

You are smarter than me. I don't know what any of that means. ^

Yet it makes sense, let us examine Guild Wars 2. Pay once, play forever. You get ALL content. You want some vanity or other cosmetic things...you have the gem store option. I've forked over money back in the day to them. So many content updates, and balance changes. They have pvp tournaments and actually have a pretty fat pay out to the winners. World bosses in AOC once a month? That's cute, GW2 has several every single day.

I could play this game for years and not pay a dime and still have as much "power" as a guy paying tons of money. But I do trickle some dollars (well I did while I was playing) to them. With all the good content and good customer service you start to get the feeling that they DESERVE it. There is no problem paying. They give me hours of entertainment.

Why do people fork over money to World of Warcraft? We are talking 7 Million people? Patches, class balance changes, expansions....this game is over 10 years old. Oh you are giving us a cute bear mount? You want to talk about mounts....I just got my 100th mount in wow, earned through winning 100 3v3 arena pvp matches. I pay a sub here because if I want to dungeon I do. If I want world pvp I get it instantly (Emerald Dream server son).

Age of Conan....crushes both of these games in my mind. Well it could have had this potential. Where did you guys go wrong?

The answer is lack of content and lack of progression. Oh you can't find money to invest in the game? You better start eating a lot of hot dogs for supper, because it is past time to invest in some money and create a real expansion to save this game. How could funcom not comprehend that people would come back if they gave real content?

But go ahead and "nickel and dime" us with lame b2p add-ons that give us nothing. See how far that will get you.

Default Sezmra Said:

Naturally, we've been reading up on the feedback you've all provided us. Let me say that The Shadow of Vanaheim content pack was in no way intended to infuriate our player base. We want you to enjoy playing Age of Conan, to have fun!

Our intention was to release new store items that would be obtained in a more engaging way: through new content. Instead of purchasing a new item and it then be delivered to you without any real fanfare, you'd go out and experience a new adventure tied to it while still adding to your growing collection of vanity armors or mounts. I admit that the timing of the Anniversary might have reinforced assumptions, but that was not our intention. We'd like to move forward with releases such as these, providing newer, more inventive ways of customizing your experience. We felt that debuting the first of these during Age of Conan's anniversary was a way to celebrate the game's longevity.

Your frustation is not lost on us though, and we sincerely apologize for any confusion or disappointment this release has caused. Please continue to provide feedback regarding Age of Conan, we are listening and will review each concern brought to us. Just visit help.funcom.com to share your feedback.

Thanks for your understanding, folks.

TL: DR - Funcom missed the point of the frustration from the community.

Well, this is the final nail in the coffin. Funcom refused to invest money in AoC after they started to work on TSW. Why Rise of the Godslayer is the only true expansion when others games gets one every 2 years ? I'm now pretty sure they rushed the F2P "unchained" disaster to be sure they can focus on TSW.

And every failure TSW had, AoC paid the price with collateral damage. BuyToPlay crisis due to slow launch and high expectations on subs ? 1 month after, the entire AoC team gets the worst layoff and bingo, it was precisely during the middle of crafting revamp+Dragonspine. And like Rathotis used to point it out, it took more than 2 years to get TSW positive in revenues, and during thoses years, which game paid the bills and gets no love in return ? AoC (and AO too ofc, we don't miss AO).

We used to be resigned, even getting somewhat happy to T5 "recycled" T1 even when we saw they didn't get enough ressources to do 12 "reskined" armors when TSW got new outfits every weeks. Whatever how resigned we were, they try to continue in that way and it's time to say NO. Don't buy this. Message must be clear enough to Funcom management. If you want more revenues, start to invest more.
    Your Storm Field critically healed Officer of the Wolves for 7038.