Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with the new patch?

Funcom is a business. They are here to make money. They have other interests outside AoC. I never liked how AoC partially funded these other interests while very little was returned for subbed players, but I get that there is a bottom line to achieve. The only thing they should have done was let players know beforehand that the actual anniversary content was only limited to double AA points, and that they were releasing a small adventure pack that was optional PREMIUM content that could be bought.

Instead, they offered up some update letter without ever mentioning the word "premium", which would denote that it costs money. I am guessing they knew how it would be received with how they did this, but disappointing the AoC community is one of the things Funcom does best.

Someone could have at least apologized for leaving out the fact that the content would cost additional money, which clearly the community managers could have done, if even on the forums.
    Last edited by Suctum; 21st May 2015 at 15:01.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    No one should be blaming Cirith or any other developer for this at least Cirith had dignity to show up here and try to clarify some things although it is not expected from him at all. Devs are doing their job they should be respected for that, but this is clearly a mistake done by FC's marketing team and community managers. Where are Sezmra or Tomium now, or any other FC officials to explain the misleading and false advertisement prior to this anniversary?
    I completely agree with that. Cirith doesn't have anything to answer for, here. He's the one who make the new content, which is good, not the one who decide the shady practice around them.

So I really hope Semzra will show up at least to say "We will discuss about this matter with the marketing dept."
    Last edited by Jaedelyia; 21st May 2015 at 15:09.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by CirithGorgor View Post
    This is being fixed and will be patched in soon (likely Thursday).
    Also can you fix the fact that you can't attack with the bear or use the quick dismount? Or maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    Funcom is a business. They are here to make money. They have other interests outside AoC. I never liked how AoC partially funded these other interests while very little was returned for subbed players, but I get that there is a bottom line to achieve. The only thing they should have done was let players know beforehand that the actual anniversary content was only limited to double AA points, and that they were releasing a small adventure pack that was optional PREMIUM content that could be bought.

Instead, they offered up some update letter without ever mentioning the word "premium", which would denote that it costs money. I am guessing they knew how it would be received with how they did this, but disappointing the AoC community is one of the things Funcom does best.
    Agree with this and yes I bought the CE pack and frankly, I love it.
    IMO there can never be enough Northern content
    And dammit that Heimdall boss is hard to solo, for me at least
    Khemi. Picture Hell on the cheap then add more whores

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedelyia View Post
    Tomium, well, is gone. He said goodbye and left the position quite a few month ago now. So I really hope Semzra will show up at least to say "We will discuss about this matter with the marketing dept."
    He made a post today, so your statement may be premature
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...50#post2127350
    Khemi. Picture Hell on the cheap then add more whores

Quote Originally Posted by Lleilwin View Post
    He made a post today, so your statement may be premature
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...50#post2127350
    Yes, totally, I mistook Tomium for Tarib when writing that, sorry. My bad, Tomium is still alive and kicking, he's making update note quite often. I'll edit my post.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Alive yes, but kicking can be argued.

While Ciriths posts always brings something good and we certanly cant blame him here, Tomium and/or Sezmra really is much to blame for all the outrage, even if they were worked against internally there are a lot of things they could do to manage the comunity. That they are no where to be seen is sad. One has to wonder if they have not seen the complaints(are they paying that little attention) or if they just dont want to say anything.
    I am Stian ingame...

Ye, it's a bit of the stretch to say that "Servers will go down at x time and be down for y time" is managing the community.

When it comes to the communication skills, professionalism and just "balls" Cirith's far ahead of anyone that's left working on the game tbh...
    from our pov (reading live and testlive forums) it really looks like he's the only one that cares.
    | piece of cake |

Quote Originally Posted by Civilix View Post
    Alive yes, but kicking can be argued.

While Ciriths posts always brings something good and we certanly cant blame him here, Tomium and/or Sezmra really is much to blame for all the outrage, even if they were worked against internally there are a lot of things they could do to manage the comunity. That they are no where to be seen is sad. One has to wonder if they have not seen the complaints(are they paying that little attention) or if they just dont want to say anything.
    Again, i would not blame any of them. If they knew, they probably were not allowed to tell.
    I also personally have no big problem with paywalls in general or b2p content or weird special offers. If you like it and think it is worth it, you pay. But i do not like unprofessional sloppy work, especially when combined with ignorance and greed.
    B2p can be executed well or in a way that hurts everyone. Same with paywalls. They can be "pay us 1750 points or no access to zone" or "sub or you will never get there", but successfull models do it differently while still keeping a paywall and money flowing. Imagine a huge discount on the zone access during one festival week for everyone (more for subs maybe). Or give it a few days for free as trial. Then charge a few hundred points (and i mean a FEW) for access only without the other shinies that usually are quite expensive anyway in the shop (mounts, chests, power items etc.). These are fine to include in resub offers. On the other hand Cursed rings have their place in failed crafted content, special unique powerfull artifacts or early accessible power items that have to be limited or are more a special purpose item. Not in a sub offer intended to draw in money. But maybe this was a bug and we will see after this patch.

Sadly there are always people who will buy this content (as with greedbased DLC and sloppy annual bugged game releases) for various reasons. Enough for a time to allow the marketing and management to fool themselves that what they do is working. Till the bubble bursts. And then i want to see who is whining. Sad thing is, all this bubble tactics are avoidable and not necessary

And back to the content release: As already said, i doubt it is "something for everyone"...even assuming it would be free. Not everyone likes everything northern themed like Lleilwin So i would consider it rather a niche product even with the bear more in line with the slithering horror. Basically a product where the price has to be right...and right now imo it isn't.
    Still i hope they will reduce the price a lot and add at least similar packs for each race and culture. Since whatever you think of it, this pack proves that they can still release content, even basic one and people still buy it even under these conditions. Now imagine the sales and revenue when done properly with customers in mind and not shortsighted greed!
    (which is usually more longterm and in sum higher than a small burst bubble sale)
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 21st May 2015 at 16:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Aecho View Post
    When it comes to the communication skills, professionalism and just "balls" Cirith's far ahead of anyone that's left working on the game tbh...
    from our pov (reading live and testlive forums) it really looks like he's the only one that cares.
    Does anyone have a clue about Pyzerius' whereabouts? He was quite active on the TL forum in 2014, but now he's become a very rare guest.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage