Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PvP Factions for One Merged Server.

Default PvP Factions for One Merged Server.

PvP factions for the win. Each guild's highest ranking officers will choose whether or not join a faction. A purely PvE guild can opt to stay out. This will be good for the poorly geared players just starting out in PvP because they can reap the benefits of playing beside guildies/factioners with better gear. Rewards for both low and high level gear would be given for winning certain open-world PvP contests.

On top of that, it will be a perfect setup for a merge because it will bring open-world PvP back to the game for those guilds who decide to "opt in" to the factions system by joining a faction. The PvE purist guilds can stay out of it and don't have to worry about being ganked while leveling up or chasing their baddie PvE gear that they'll never use to kill another player's toon with.

This will even encourage players to join more highly skilled, PvP-oriented guilds again and start doing some world PvP as they attempt to fight each other over certain open-world goals for tokens and exp. It'll be a great system (and perhaps the only system) for gaining level 11-15 PvP gear when it's implemented--urging guilds to grab their balls and do some real team play once again and take real risks (in guild pride) in PvP.

I think it'd be good to put caps on how many folks can be on a side in one zone at one time, though, to prevent guilds from stacking up in one faction or to prevent the largest guilds from always winning with numbers. It'll be a more skill-based system that way--maybe something like one major PvP contest per zone with 12 per side. Funcom could make use of existing zones and terrain in interesting and efficient ways. It could get very interesting with a 3-way faction system, and it'd entice a lot of PvP'rs back to the game, and keep the new ones around for a long time.

To start with, maybe Funcom could add just a handful of these open-world faction contests and see how does. If it takes off and the player base grows, then they can add more events, in more zones, at a later time. FC could have a lot of fun creating different contests for the "factioners" as they expand to more zones with the factions system.

To make things more efficient, perhaps Funcom could incorporate some of the existing PvP week's games for the faction events, for starters. This system would be a 24/7 thing that kicks off in just a few zones at the start until more PvP'rs are attracted to join and stay around in AoC... no one week per months BS.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." --Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by finnius1 View Post
    Idea that will never see light of day

Let's not demand too much of the current team. It would be much easier and beneficial to maintain instanced pvp/pve the same way they separated epic and normal in the case they do merge all to one server. I am not for any "opt in" system.

This faction idea would require a ton of coding and this game lacks the resources. Hell i would be amazed if they even do merge all to one server.. I can just hear the groaning of the dev team when they contemplate another merge. Like it must be such a huge pain in the butt. Remember back when they did it before it would take a full day and that was when they had a full team! Imagine the servers being down for 3 or 4 days while they struggle with 2 or 3 people only. which is what i suspect is all they currently have.

Let us hope that they donot kill one ruleset in favor of another.. it will mark the end of this game once and for all.. at least in my opinion
    Last edited by Spreadicus; 13th April 2015 at 23:35.
    Live Twitch Stream - Fury PvP - US East Coast Prime Time - Rated MA

Finnius is dreamy
    Raistbad/Backwoods/Dutchmaster/Rangerishard
    30,0000+ kills, 10,000+ mini, still bad
    Pre 1.04|Twitch|Post 1.04

Finnius may be dreamy, but does point out the major flaw in AoC PvP. Just what are we fight for? We have no enemy. I play a mini game and I am teamed with Dudeelite, ten minutes later, I am playing against him. How does that make sense? Giving us people (factions) to be for and against only makes sense as will benefit PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadicus View Post
    Let us hope that they donot kill one ruleset in favor of another.. it will mark the end of this game once and for all.. at least in my opinion
    Perhaps it isn't feasible with FC's current resources, but it would breathe some life back into this game (I know enough about development to understand that an MMO requires a monumental effort in hours spent on architecture and and writing code.) I miss the days of massive world PvP. At least in this system you'd have no reason to complain about getting ganked. If you don't like world PvP, then join a guild that doesn't do factions. I think that Funcom has seriously underestimated how much of the former player-base consisted of PvP'rs.

Quote Originally Posted by raist718 View Post
    Finnius is dreamy
    I always knew you liked me, Raist. I won't judge though.

On a more serious note, we PvP'rs need something more than one week of randomly teamed PvP events. We really do need "something to fight for," as Roddam previously mentioned.
    Last edited by finnius1; 14th April 2015 at 06:16.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." --Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadicus View Post
    It would be much easier and beneficial to maintain instanced pvp/pve the same way they separated epic and normal in the case they do merge all to one server.
    You do have a very sound point there, and it wouldn't hurt anything if this happened, but I fail to see how this will get players to unify behind a common cause for PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddam View Post
    Finnius may be dreamy, but does point out the major flaw in AoC PvP. Just what are we fight for? We have no enemy. I play a mini game and I am teamed with Dudeelite, ten minutes later, I am playing against him. How does that make sense? Giving us people (factions) to be for and against only makes sense as will benefit PvP.
    I do not like the focus on big guilds again and the "enforced" pvp factions. If it becomes like WoW or other games, many will stop playing probably. So imo not really something boosting open world pvp per se.
    What i would like to see, is making them more reputationlike and action based. E.g. you keep murdering people, you'll get bad renown at law enforcement, merchants, peasants but maybe good stances at the assasins guild and death cultists. But for this to happen, they need some more rules and tools in open pvp to evaluate powers and situations. That should be the first step devwise and it will help a lot with fightclubbing and farmers too.
    Guildwise there should be more diplomacy options and "style" choices (which are similar, but not the same as enforced faction membership). So players could join a stygian deathcult guild in war with an aquilonian mitra cult, but they can not be forced to behave that way. With a reputation system, they would have an easier time advancing in said guilds, but are not forced to do so. If officers and leaders can decide what players can be attacked or not, it will not work in open world pvp favour imo (just look how popular and enforceable KOS and allylists are right now and have been in the past).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 14th April 2015 at 11:16.

Quote Originally Posted by finnius1 View Post
    You do have a very sound point there, and it wouldn't hurt anything if this happened, but I fail to see how this will get players to unify behind a common cause for PvP.
    I really don't want to unify behind a common cause with anyone buy my guildies. I just want to kill everyone that's red whenever it suits me. The pvp events will be enough reason for folks to come out and play.

Faction based pvp is garbage. It's one of the reasons i enjoy aoc so much more than my other favorite mmo DC Universe. DCs( in my view) failing point is making faction based pvp as in heroes vs villains. So if i have a hero (which i do ) i cant play with my villain buddies (friends that i made over time)and vice versa. Its tragic really that i would have to reroll a new toon on the villain side to do that. In conan its cool. No factions limiting who i can or cant play with. It's why I still play aoc and not DCUO.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddam View Post
    The problem here is that funcom will not allow teams to join the public queue. In pvp red = dead is the general consensus so everyone is your enemy and you kill for the glory of killing! What more is there?

Yea the FFA nature of AoC's pvp is one of the reasons why I like it so much. I don't want factions I want groups and guilds of various sizes and the freedom to play with and against anyone.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast