Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Please Funcom, listen to us! - An open letter

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    How else to you fund a 7+ year old game that people only hear about now on Steam and an occasional obscure internet review...
    Well at least AO got revamped....lol.

The company probably doesn't have the money to invest in AoC. The downside to the game is that it really isn't for casual players. You have to be dedicated to the game. There is a lot of competition as well, even if the readers of this forum don't like the other games out there. How can funcom create new content and expect to establish a larger player base?

You have to invest money to make it. If they spent money on a new expansion sure people would come back...but would they profit? It really isn't worth their time so they have to find new games and ways to make money for themselves.

Aoc is the best mmo I've ever played. But the truth is, it isn't getting attention because people are leaving the game. They are not paying anymore. The micro-transactions aren't making them money. The crafting revamp, the unchained mini games....they don't push to get this done because it won't make them money. It will only appease the people already playing the game.

ya its no use anymore, i stuck it out until last month and played since 2011.

It's literally been the best combat game i have ever played with a great atmosphere/story. My pvp experiences and getting better and better at pvp took years so it's not a weak casual game which is how I like it.

But funcom has given up on it, the root of the problem is not that AOC is an old game. the root of the problem is whats behind the game.. it's backbone which is the company funcom..

funcom is millions of dollars in debt, they've been raided by the police twice and their stock has been delisted since they're under police investigation.
    over 50% of their workforce has been fired.

you will never ever see aoc alive ever again because funcom itself is dead or barely breathing, honest truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinin View Post
    ya its no use anymore, i stuck it out until last month and played since 2011.

It's literally been the best combat game i have ever played with a great atmosphere/story. My pvp experiences and getting better and better at pvp took years so it's not a weak casual game which is how I like it.

But funcom has given up on it, the root of the problem is not that AOC is an old game. the root of the problem is whats behind the game.. it's backbone which is the company funcom..

funcom is millions of dollars in debt, they've been raided by the police twice and their stock has been delisted since they're under police investigation.
    over 50% of their workforce has been fired.

you will never ever see aoc alive ever again because funcom itself is dead or barely breathing, honest truth.
    I would sell to a start-up, they could probably do it better and would at least have a few more staff members...and also sell the REH license as well, since Funcom has pretty much been done with it since late 2010.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by konungr View Post
    Aoc is the best mmo I've ever played. But the truth is, it isn't getting attention because people are leaving the game. They are not paying anymore. The micro-transactions aren't making them money. The crafting revamp, the unchained mini games....they don't push to get this done because it won't make them money. It will only appease the people already playing the game.
    You make it sound like it is due to the players. It isn't. FC took a decision when they took TSW b2p. And that decision was perfectly clear from the start: milk existing AoC for subs to (at least partially) fund the live team. Then use the live team to create content for TSW. AoC microtransactions were never in focus.

When looking at FC's financial reporting, the most amusing aspect is that their asset valuation of AoC has been overly conservative (i.e. below market value). Which probably means that they expected people to quit the game at a faster rate.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    You make it sound like it is due to the players. It isn't. FC took a decision when they took TSW b2p. And that decision was perfectly clear from the start: milk existing AoC for subs to (at least partially) fund the live team. Then use the live team to create content for TSW. AoC microtransactions were never in focus.

When looking at FC's financial reporting, the most amusing aspect is that their asset valuation of AoC has been overly conservative (i.e. below market value). Which probably means that they expected people to quit the game at a faster rate.
    No I'm not blaming the players at all. Not even the mean ones. I can understand why they left the game. How many toons, and how many times have we all geared up characters. For the people that just play one class....they beat the game years ago. No content = no player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    When looking at FC's financial reporting, the most amusing aspect is that their asset valuation of AoC has been overly conservative (i.e. below market value).
    not exactly all that unusual, videos games and intellectual properties arent affected like commodity prices. oil companies and mineral companies usually undervalue their assests in financial reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by camilleboucquill View Post
    not exactly all that unusual, videos games and intellectual properties arent affected like commodity prices. oil companies and mineral companies usually undervalue their assests in financial reporting.
    Never said it was unusual to do so. And asset valuation for IP is more complex, if anything, than for commodities. But if a company in FC's position finds that, for the first time in god knows how long, one of their games performs better than expected, yet still decides not to appreciate its valuation, that does tell you something about whether or not they intend to follow up on that better-than-expected performance.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Just close the game for a year or two!!!fix it and come back to the market with some kind of marketing!or dont come back...reading through threads on this forum i get the feel that ppl are in agony since 2012 about this game.
    Or make a new game with same combat system but different setting...obviously with no elves and orcs....
    Ketzaquatl-Ranger-Fury-Night Watch

Well, all I can add is that I'm trying to get my friends to join in, but hopefully not just in time for the game to be closed down.

If they close it down, I hope they'd release the engine and content NWN-style so that people could, at least, run their own servers with their friends.

Ain't holdin' mah breath, though...