Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Funcom, pls help the newbies!

Team queue? What is this concept thou dost speaketh of?
    What foul sorcery is this?
    Live Twitch Stream - Fury PvP - US East Coast Prime Time - Rated MA

Quote Originally Posted by Bibik View Post
    It's basically playing without a chestpiece and another minor part.

Now, I imagine the ratio of aoc pvpers willing to start from the beginning & stay in another Mmo where they have to play with less powergear than their opponents would be abysmally low.
    As a caster, yes.

I got 25 more dps because i replaced my pvp 1 dagger with t4.

So imagene poor Bob with his t 0.5 going against Joe's t5 weps... Yeah

Decapitation is the perfect example for this. With 20+ in wep damage i got 2-3k (!!!!!!!) more damage from the attack.
    Boyscout bearshaman

Quote Originally Posted by CueQue View Post
    As a caster, yes.

Decapitation is the perfect example for this. With 20+ in wep damage i got 2-3k (!!!!!!!) more damage from the attack.
    Shouldn't this example give us a hint about what is wrong? Somehow the scaling in combat calculations seem off after a certain threshold (this would explain why certain chars feel so ridicolous overpowered too). If you do nonlinear progressions (e.g. 1 dps at start != 1 dps at end) you should understand math a bit...

Being pvp level 0-4 then its gonna be hard..but aftter pvp4..the gear difference is not so big...And as I always say..Gear helps on 1vs1 situations but other than that,like I said not much of a difference..Whatever pvp level u are,u go down no matter what, if 3 or 4 people focus fire and ccs on u...So what wins in pvp is teamplay...not gear..Sure gear is welcome..but better to have 2-3 people fight alongside u..than having tier5 or pvp10 gear and running around the map..try to find where the hek are everybody..??
    "To the Humble He gives His Grace.....From the Proud He Hides His Face"

There is always a lot of chances for low-level PVP players to improve and enjoy PVP, even with the new PVP gear. There is no need to split queues either.
    Adding an option to sign up with a friend could be a good solution though (it is discussed on TL).
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by CueQue View Post
    As a caster, yes.

There is not that much difference between pvp t1 and t3 weapons. Melee's have a slight weapon damage difference, but not enough to make or break you. Hardly any difference between caster pvp weapons of any tier. Even the armor, minus some protection, is really not all that bad.

Now, before they changed the weapons and armor last year, I would agree with you. Now, even the t1 pvp armor, accessories, and weapons, while not optimal, is still competitive. Are you going to get murdered while getting pvp levels for t1 armor? Of course, but how long does it really take to get pvp 5 or 6 now with all the exp boosts and events they have now? It's easier than ever to be competitive now, not as easy as it was 5 years ago, but much easier than it was 2 years ago at least.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    There is not that much difference between pvp t1 and t3 weapons. Melee's have a slight weapon damage difference, but not enough to make or break you. Hardly any difference between caster pvp weapons of any tier. Even the armor, minus some protection, is really not all that bad.

Now, before they changed the weapons and armor last year, I would agree with you. Now, even the t1 pvp armor, accessories, and weapons, while not optimal, is still competitive. Are you going to get murdered while getting pvp levels for t1 armor? Of course, but how long does it really take to get pvp 5 or 6 now with all the exp boosts and events they have now? It's easier than ever to be competitive now, not as easy as it was 5 years ago, but much easier than it was 2 years ago at least.
    Still the main problem even as you acknowledged (and as it is theme of the thread) is just getting to pvp4 or to the first pvp tier of gear (which is now more powerfull, but a tad harder to get as well now). Once you can get kills and avoid getting farmed on ress with first tier, you only need to grind or can do the quests and events (since you actually can hurt people and if you do not mind getting killed, you'll achieve something sooner or later. It is still not balanced or fun probably, but at least possible for the majority). This is not the case in the way to pvp4. If you are getting slaughtered, under the current system you will rarely get a kill acknowledged (everyone one else does more damage, kills faster or focuses you as easy target). Resulting in you not being able to get pvp xp and tokens out of the new quests and events and rarely get a win in a mini (though this is more luckbased, you can end up on the selected winners side after all). But even in minis your turnout will be a LOT less, since again...you do not damage or kill things (unless there are others like you in the other team. good luck with current population). Of course it depends on situation and class as well (or if you exploit and cheat too), so it is not impossible, but it is unreasonable tough for the majority imo (especially compared to other routes open to you after a certain threshold).

Here only some participation rewards, a better system to calculate "challenges", less focus on "kills" and maybe a tier0 set for pvp can help. You can EASILY balance the participation rewards that they are mostly relevant for beginners only and just add a trickle for higher pvp levels. Actually you already have this a bit, just look at pvp level progression. Assuming a mini happening even every 15 mins, the rewards for loosing are around 50-500 xp per match (don't have exact number now) and you do not get far with this on high pvp levels. To avoid leeching just focus anti-leeching mechanisms, instead of anti-lowbie mechanics as you have now.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 15th April 2015 at 07:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post

Sure, but not as bad as before does not necessarily mean good enough. To illustrate, here is a comparison of the aggregate values of the main off and def stats for the full ToS T1 and T3 sets. (Note: I have used the def cape and necklace for the T3 set, as the T1 set does not have +magic damage equivalents.)

magic damage 788,4 | 1002,8 | +21,38%
    crit chance 265 | 385 | +31,17%
    crit dmg 256 | 377 | +32,10%
    armor 4942 | 5806 | +14,88%
    prot 1840 | 2210 | +16,74%
    critigation 1154 | 2152 | +46,38%

So unless you are a caster or soldier in T4+ gear, you will get murdered until pvp T4. And then, you are still at a substantial gear disadvantage vs vets. You are right that it used to be worse 2 years ago. But it should still be much closer to what it was 5 years ago.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Like Rathothis showed i would say that gear difference is still significant, specially weapons, but for sure you are competitive as pvp 4. Much bigger issue is AA for fresh chars. It takes a lot of time training to get basic pvp perks and some really makes difference. I think fresh chars should get 200 expertise points to get them started, with 80 you just dont get enough. Its specially annoying if you need silver class perk since those are crazily expensive.
    prowes gain should be nice regardless if you have quest for mini, or if you ended up tie and lost on kills, or even in JS because of its lenght.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast