Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid T3 Build

But wouldn't the same argumentation (magic vulnerable targets) also support simply using caster pets? Why is DtS superior to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Belatsunat View Post
    But wouldn't the same argumentation (magic vulnerable targets) also support simply using caster pets? Why is DtS superior to that?
    Coefficients. With Chilling Breath, the Ice Strike coefficient increases by more than the inherited coefficient that pets get.

Which in turn would imply that DtS in general is better than caster pets, not only against magic vulnerable mobs?

You have to push harder, but I find it more rewarding to play NF with DtS x8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Which in turn would imply that DtS in general is better than caster pets, not only against magic vulnerable mobs?
    Well, with the versatility that Necromancers have, it's hard to say whats "best". But DtS x8 and Chilling Breath definitely is something worth trying. It does require full control of mana, since you don't have any pets to do damage when you're drained.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    But DtS x8 and Chilling Breath definitely is something worth trying.
    Hio,

it most certainly is, BUT i for myself find it much more "relaxing" to play with pets, at least when soloing.
    Makes kiting, MoA farming, snuffing out epic bosses and and and... just so much easier .

Besides, i've played a great many Summoners back in D2LoD, i simply NEED my pets to "feel" Necro .

Best Regards
    Hawk
    "I have known many gods.
    He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply."
    R. E. Howard - Queen of the black coast

Aerion Brightflame. One night, in his cups, he drank a jar of wildfire,
    after telling his friends it would transform him into a dragon, but the
    gods were kind and it transformed him into a corpse.
    George R.R. Martin - A Clash of Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Nephturi View Post
    You have to push harder, but I find it more rewarding to play NF with DtS x8.
    On the danger of derailing the post, but maybe someone experienced should try to add a PvE DtS guide to this forum. Focussing mostly on the differences compared to Pet Necro play. Like:

- Chilling Breath + Decays of Nature is superior to Supreme Lich, while it is a tossup for pet necros.
    - You have to spell weave aggressively, since spell weave seems to benefit a DtS build more than a pet build.
    - Spec: Something like this?
    - With Chilling Breath and without the talent Bursting Bomb, is it worth it at all to run one of the more aggressive Chill rotations?
    - Any adjustments to gear selection (below T4 where options still exist. )?
    - Other helpful bits of information

On the danger of derailing the post, but maybe someone experienced should try to add a PvE DtS guide to this forum. Focussing mostly on the differences compared to Pet Necro play. Like:

- Chilling Breath + Decays of Nature is superior to Supreme Lich, while it is a tossup for pet necros.
    - You have to spell weave aggressively, since spell weave seems to benefit a DtS build more than a pet build.
    - Spec: Something like this?
    - With Chilling Breath and without the talent Bursting Bomb, is it worth it at all to run one of the more aggressive Chill rotations?
    - Any adjustments to gear selection (below T4 where options still exist. )?
    - Other helpful bits of information
    Chilling Breath is only superior if you can stand still a lot and don't need to burst damage. You can use it against the Entity, maybe Saddur, but as soon as you have to run/move/burst, you're losing DPS because of the longer cast time. As for spellweaving, you have to be careful about your mana and your aggro, because you'll run out of mana very quickly and you'll die just as fast, believe me Or don't believe me, and ask my raidmates.

Two of my specs: solo/raid, T5 Yakhmar. Blood Hunger helps on Thoth and T5 Vistrix, but you can feat Quickened Iron to help your group instead. One point in Mark of the Devourer is more than enough. I find Misdirection not that useful, but that's only my own distaste for aggro dumping tools.

As for the gear, I've always used raid gear (T1/T2/T3, and now T4/T5), with Khitai accessories and Tiger dagger since I didn't have the T3 ones back then. It's balanced, and it gives a lot of Intelligence, quite useful for mana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12