Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black text everywhere, cannot see anything!

Default Black text everywhere, cannot see anything!

My family and I are gamers. Have been since the beginning with EQ. Thought we'd all check out AoC for possible new subs. However, Me, my wife, two sons and a co-worker get the same thing. ALL black text everywhere. From all the login screens, to in-game text and nobody can read anything because the text is on dark backgrounds. My co-worker gave up and moved on. So did one of my sons. They are gone and won't sub. My wife and I are a little more tolerant and will wait to see whats going on.

There are 6 different computers involved on 3 different cable connections from 2 different locations so it's not the computers. We all first tried to download through Steam. 2 hours wasted. Couldn't play. So we all downloaded directly from the site and installed to a different location. 3 more hours wasted. This game is UNPLAYABLE!

I don't know how others are playing when they cannot read anything on-screen. Please fix this so we all can play. Otherwise, we'll move on also.

Waiting for your reply and (hopefully) a fix. Thank you.

I have never encountered this problem before (on many computers). All I can think of is setting NVidia settings from the Control Panel to default, going to options of the game and changing the opacity of the text, downloading the client off register.ageofconan.com or Torrents, and repairing the client.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

please share a screenshot so we can see what the problem is.

Maybe you just need to turn the gamma up in the video settings.
    Requiem Nex Combat Monitor | Options not Saving temporary Fix
    Can Devs please fix:
    • new ressurections resetting the currently selected ressurect position
    • loot timeout windows disappearing before progress bar completes when box hasn't been opened quickly

strange ... have installed this game in 10 (?) different pc's including laptops , worst thing happened was bad frame-rate .

this might be a gamma issue as stated above , also could be a UI issue (try using default UI if ure running something else)

but anyways ... I installed it again 5 days ago or so on a new machine ... its smooth appart from some lags (which went away once I blocked InternetExplorer once again) .

So ... it has to be something that you all have in common (your sons and cooworker etc). Some program that screws up your game , that is installed/runnin in all 6 machines u guys got

Best of luck
    Fury:
    Etheecx -Necrow R5
    Ebedokles -Priest of Agrigento [threw himself into the volcano!]
    Teargarden -Sin R8
    Teagarden -Ranger R7
    Tempgarden - DeaTea R8
    Teadealer -ToS R3

Crom:
    Ethicx -Demonologist R10
    Bedtime -Guardian R5
    SponsoredHox R3 delight

*Chaotic gooD*

I'm at work right now. I'll post screen shots later today when I get home. This is a strange issue. I don't think it's a gamma issue because the text is truly black and most of the backgrounds are gray or some other dark color. Black text on dark backgrounds don't work well. Why is the text black? If it were a lighter color, everything would be fine.
    Last edited by mijorious; 12th March 2015 at 14:29.

Quote Originally Posted by mijorious View Post
    I'm at work right now. I'll post screen shots later today when I get home. This is a strange issue. I don't think it's a gamma issue because the text is truly black and most of the backgrounds are gray or some other dark color. Black text on dark backgrounds don't work well. Why is the text black? If it were a lighter color, everything would be fine.
    By default, I don't think there is hardly any black text at all in game. Everything is easily readable. The only times I've heard of people having black text, was when they had an old Custom UI installed. Removing/updating the Custom UIs would fix the black text.

But for you, it sounds different. You shouldn't be seeing this on multiple computers all with fresh installations.

Has one of these fresh installations been on a new computer which never had AoC before? If so, where did you get the installer from?

One thing you can try is to go to one of your fresh installations, and delete the entire GUI folder so that the patcher will re-download it. You should probably also delete the Prefs folder. I think the path to that is usually something like: "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Funcom\..."

If none of that works, another thing you could try is installing a custom UI to see if that UI's colors will overwrite the black text.

If still all your text is black, I would have to assume the issue is somehow with your computers. Either a hardware problem, or some software causing this issue.
    Last edited by tapwater; 12th March 2015 at 14:50.

Ugh! I have a couple screen caps but I cannot post them. It says I cannot post attachments.

Never seen or heard about this before. There's no black text in this game, this is what you see. If deleting age of conan\data\gui folder doesn't work, I have no idea. Well I do have one idea; only English is supported anymore and problems on so many different computers could maybe be because of downloading some other language client, but I doubt that's the problem.

Whatever error this is, it's a new record.
    Last edited by cins; 13th March 2015 at 06:12.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    Well I do have one idea; only English is supported anymore and problems on so many different computers could maybe be because of downloading some other language client, but I doubt that's the problem.
    French and German are still supported, and maybe a couple of other languages. As far as I know, only Russian is not supported anymore, and it's only for the translation of new content.

Mijorious, try uploading your screenshots on a site like Imgur and post the links here.
    Short cuts make long delays.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    Never seen or heard about this before. There's no black text in this game, this is what you see.
    Ugh! Thats one of my screen caps. On mine, the text is black, not white. You can guess why we cannot see whats there if the text is black. It's black all through the game. We are not using any other UI either as some suggested. Just the original install. We have done clean installs from both Steam AND the AoC website, same results.

That seems to be the only issue we have. Is there a way to just change the font color in a file somewhere? If people can create custom UI's, then I should be able to just change the text color?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast