Page 51 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange UI 2016

Same for me, today when I started my PC MSE came up and said that AoC.exe is a virus (exact same description as mentioned above).

I'm not having any problems with Aoc.exe, but I figured I would upload it to virustotal just to see what a bunch of different scanners think. My copy of Aoc.exe was back from August 2015, and this is the result. 7/57 Scanners think there may be something wrong with it:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1...is/1475294742/

Quote Originally Posted by xCodename View Post
    Same for me, today when I started my PC MSE came up and said that AoC.exe is a virus (exact same description as mentioned above).
    Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    I'm not having any problems with Aoc.exe, but I figured I would upload it to virustotal just to see what a bunch of different scanners think. My copy of Aoc.exe was back from August 2015, and this is the result. 7/57 Scanners think there may be something wrong with it:
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1...is/1475294742/

I forced an update again 20 minutes ago on Windows defender and the results are the same.

Also, in addition to the virustotal tests above (which I verified myself too), we get on https://www.metadefender.com the following results:

ByteHero
    Trojan.Win32.Heur.098

K7
    Trojan ( 7000000f1 )

So it seems that Windows Defender (at least on some systems but maybe it's a matter on how fast updates are distributed) considers aoc.exe a trojan, and that some (a minority but nevertheless 9/59ish not counting Windows Defender) antivirus consider it a trojan too.

Of course, I'm quite confident this is not the case , but a solution needs to be found because it's hardly possible to use a software causing alerts.

Thanks for the workaround by the way. Maybe it could inspire a solution to the issue if it can't be fixed on aoc.exe side.
    Last edited by xyphas; 1st October 2016 at 16:13.

Quote Originally Posted by xyphas View Post
    I forced an update again 20 minutes ago on Windows defender and the results are the same.

Also, in addition to the virustotal tests above (which I verified myself too), we get on https://www.metadefender.com the following results:

ByteHero
    Trojan.Win32.Heur.098

K7
    Trojan ( 7000000f1 )

So it seems that Windows Defender (at least on some systems but maybe it's a matter on how fast updates are distributed) considers aoc.exe a trojan, and that some (a minority but nevertheless 9/59ish not counting Windows Defender) antivirus consider it a trojan too.

Of course, I'm quite confident this is not the case , but a solution needs to be found because it's hardly possible to use a software causing alerts.

Thanks for the workaround by the way. Maybe it could inspire a solution to the issue if it can't be fixed on aoc.exe side.
    Yeah, also bitdefender eliminates aoc.exe and thinks its virus.

I don't want people to freak out.
    If there is any kind of threat coming from aoc.exe, I assure you it is not intentional from me and I'm also 99% sure neither it is from the creator. I am waiting for his answer to my email and I'm convinced that there is a good explanation (I assume that the way aoc.exe has to work in order to perform its function could be falsely considered as a threat by some antispywares)
    In addition, I'd like to add that aoc.exe has been the same for 13 months and Strange UI users would probably have noticed if there was a real virus/trojan threat by now.

Like I said before, I would perfectly understand if you chose to deactivate aoc.exe or uninstall Strange UI. Please note that there is a temporary workaround in post 500.
    Last edited by MisterClean; 1st October 2016 at 18:43.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post
    If there is any kind of threat coming from aoc.exe, I assure you it is not intentional from me and I'm also 99% sure neither it is from the creator. I am waiting for his answer to my email and I'm convinced that there is a good explanation (I assume that the way aoc.exe has to work in order to perform its function could be falsely considered as a threat by some antispywares)
    In addition, I'd like to add that aoc.exe has been the same for 13 months and Strange UI users would probably have noticed if there was a real virus/trojan threat by now.

Like I said before, I would perfectly understand if you chose to deactivate aoc.exe or uninstall Strange UI. Please note that there is a temporary workaround in post 500.

Let's be clear: no one wants people to freak out. And, personally, I would hardly believe there is any real threat in aoc.exe. 48ish hour ago, there was nothing reported, so it may be just that a virus unfortunately now "resembles" aoc.exe and this causes alerts.

Strange UI is a wonderful contribution to AoC, and a lot of dedicated work, given away for free. So is aoc.exe too. This "must" continue.

Everyone reporting here just wants to help find a solution. Once again, maybe a solution based on the current workaround suggested in post 500 ?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post

Yeah, I'm not really worried about it. Still using it. Just interesting to note that it is now being read as a threat by various programs. Makes me curious exactly what part of the code causes it.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    Yeah, I'm not really worried about it. Still using it. Just interesting to note that it is now being read as a threat by various programs. Makes me curious exactly what part of the code causes it.
    I am not very sure but I think it's because AoC.exe somehow edits the AoC patcher (as you can see in the regedit entries) and since Age of Conan is still listed as "Games for Windows" (in the Windows start menu section "Games") game the anti virus softwares may have some problems with a 3rd party program editing the game.

There's one very simple solution to all this;

Ask the chappy who wrote the software if he's willing to release his code, in part or full, plus his headers etc under a permissive licence like GPL2/3, put it on github, and then we can simply compile a version ourselves. Security issues resolved, 'he/she' can simply abandon the aoc.exe programme for now to the forums and in the event someone else would like to try their hand at expanding the aoc feature set, it's there for the taking on the github. It's not as if it's some crazy Russian hacker tool profitting from anyone to be protected like it's your child.

Of course, if he wants to horde his code then this issue will remain a headbang with the security suties (most of which I distrust anyway and are simply flagging an unknown file that runs along side another app, whic the AV suites are going to flag as suspicious anyway) until they start to actually manually revise the actual exe.

And it you're a network security engineer (or know of one), you'd soon find out if this exe is a trojan or not, because they usually phone home or try to get on other machines in another guise.

Default aoc.exe infected with trojan?

when I started playing Age of Conan today, I imeediately noticed that aoc.exe wasn't running anymore - in fact it disappeared from my computer...

better: it was isolated by McAfee, probably bcs they updated their database (the file itself wasnt corrupted lately, this also happens with an old backup version of it)!

anyone encountering the same problem? is there a real virus/trojan inside or just a false positive?
    - is there a recent, safe version of aoc.exe available?
    (due to some bug in earlier versions, I need at least v1.0.0.106 for my waypoints to work properly)

p.s.
    according to McAfee it's Artemis!6BD412D8AFDC - with no further details available