Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Game Director Letter - March

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    "But currently, we are planning on using the system to expand the weapon types available to various classes, as well as unlocking new combos and abilities for those weapons. This will create a greater amount of versatility within each class – and allows us to itemize the game with new weapons made useful for expanded." - Joel

I would tend to think that this is a daring move as well as very nice content that will please many players.
    After all, it makes no sense that a guardian could use a polearm and a conq could not, so FC get rid of that arbitrary decision and does it through game mechanics, so the unlock becomes a reward in itself.
    That's killing 2 birds with 1 stone, well thought.

I also like the idea behind it, that characters can actually still progress and "learn" new weapon masteries through horizontal progression.

As for the idea that raid weapons have class restriction anyway, well, it does not change anything since it just means that a conq won't roll need on the guard polearm for instance, but might very well roll on the conq claymore and just disassembe it to craft a polearm of the same budget to fit his playstyle.

Now, could we finally see a ranger with 2 swords à la Drizzt please pretty please ?
    Make it happen for all that is good in this world.
    If they made ranger viable in melee and got rid of its caster-like behavior I might play mine again.
    I don't make points I make dents.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    Imagine how it will destroy the balance, make keybinds more crazy, or make content too easy. Is there a possibility not to ruin one of these? I highly doubt it. Funcom was wise to set some limitations (weapon restrictions) in the past. Maybe they mean vanity gear slots?
    Everybody's acting like any combination of weapons will be available to any kind of combo. Everyone seems to forget that in addition to class weapons restriction, there's still combo weapon restriction. Since Nusquam said it would be tied to AA, I can envision other kinds of system.

Either a system where selecting a new AA perk will change you combo weapons restriction, like I don't know, conq having is two hand combos turned to polearm only/ For instance, HoFS would do lower damage but having another effect applied on it (AoE reach, whatever). Or turning Ranger's (cross)bow combo to combo usable only with two swords, dealing a bit more damage but forcing him to fight at close range, because he couldn't use bow anymore (at least with these combos).

Or another more simple system where the new AAs grant new combo and only these new combo are usable with some new kind of weapons. But then, weapon switch possibilities need to be extended, because that system would be good for classes such as HoX that don't weapon switch, but not for Conq or Barb, for instance.

Anyway, what I mean is that as long as we don't have more information, it's kind of pointless to make any prediction on the balance of the game. It's good to predict things when the ideas are detailed on the forums, to give feedback on the concept and food for thought to the devs, but not with the utterly vague information we have now, imo.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up yet that it could also be complete new weapons that are not in game yet. Like a chain for barb, a scythe for a DT, a one/two handed ball-on-a-chain kind of bludgeon for conq/guard and something like a small axe for assassins. I could see that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    Imagine how it will destroy the balance, make keybinds more crazy, or make content too easy. Is there a possibility not to ruin one of these? I highly doubt it. Funcom was wise to set some limitations (weapon restrictions) in the past. Maybe they mean vanity gear slots?
    Last patch where classes got serious ability changes (4.3 iirc) I think balance was very carefully considered and only got better imo. Don't worry too much about keybinds. Any rotation on any class only has room for a limited amount of combos/abilities due to execution time and shared cooldowns. Just like barb after the devastation change and T5 gear replaced their Jagged Cut with Bone Shatter, the new abilities/combos will simply replace older ones if they are better.
    Last edited by Caudilloo; 12th March 2015 at 12:10.

It depends on the power they give the new stuff. Just letting players use all weapons will not imbalance anything like Lunatic fears, unless they mess THAT up. Right now you CAN use thrown weapons. Hoxes CAN use dagger and talisman. Also you see some barbs and soldiers who switch weapons according to build. Also why should a bear shaman not get to use a staff or 1hb? Why an assasin not a sword and dagger and bow? As long as the changes come with choices to be made (in case of sword and dagger, you will loose the dex based dps, in case of hox dagger tali you loose the combo stuff in general and with 2he vs dualwield it is a question of combos and abilities available to you.
    If a dualdagger assasin can only do the stuff he does now, if he keeps dualdaggering AND the new choices are just that, new choices (not some higher power tier) it will work. Even better, if they open more hybrid options to make builds and allow battles to be designed with weaponchoice in mind. Imagine the outcry now, if you had bosses immune to slashing damage...
    Imo these choices add to the flavour of the game, not the destruction. Of course it can be messed up...that is why it is good to voice the concerns now, so they understand how we do NOT want it to turn out.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 12th March 2015 at 12:21.

They will be inspired by TSW when it comes to this additional Weapons stuff i guess.

Maybe we get complete new weapons for each archetype or class, which can be placed in some extra weapon-slot. By activating one of the new Combos for this weapons, there will be some automatic weapon Switch, which makes the whole stuff pretty dynamic, just like it is in TSW. This stuff can bring some nice variations for new Sets and Set-Boni. Hard to believe that funcom goes straight to the wall and just add whole weaponrange for every class, this sounds so stupid and should bring so much work and problems for them to Balance/ design this, so we can be sure that such stuff will not happen.

I am excited and nervous about this.

On one hand, adding NEW weapon types and making use of existing USELESS weapon types (Javelin, Throwing axe, throwing dagger) would be awesome.
    It would add a MASSIVE amount of new content/customization to the game.

Imagine A guardian that can use a javelin and shield like a Myrmidon, or a rogue that actually has an ability to use throwing daggers.

Imagine a Barbarian that uses Kukri's or chain weapons http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/chain-weapons/32610

Imagine wands on casters (im reaching here but I dont play casters)

Imagine Bear shamans with a huge totem, like a carved tree trunk.

On the other hand, if they just open up existing weapons to other classes, lets forget about balance, it will ruin a core flavor and feel of Age of Conan for me.

I really would be dissappointed to see the second option.

First off, Joel, good luck in your next adventure.

Now as for the weapons expansion. You are all assuming they are talking about using the current weapon types and spreading them around the classes. Who says they aren't looking to add classes of weapons, like wands for spell casters, small sword/long dagger as an off hand weapon for guards or DT's, clubs for the off hand on POM's in place of a shield, or something of that sort?
    How about wait and see what they have in mind before assuming the worst?

As to the RAGE transfers, I would only say this, when you signed onto RAGE, you were told you could have one char, and no transfers. if you didn't like the "no transfers" clause, you shouldn't have created a toon there. Get over it.

Vilkata - Demo
    Ellric - Assassin
    Tarryn - Conqueror
    Kwanyin - Demo
    Melnmarn - Guardian
    Yishana - Tempest of Set
    Nylah - Bear Shaman (first toon)
    Many More toons..

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
    — Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    It depends on the power they give the new stuff. Just letting players use all weapons will not imbalance anything like Lunatic fears, unless they mess THAT up. Right now you CAN use thrown weapons. Hoxes CAN use dagger and talisman. Also you see some barbs and soldiers who switch weapons according to build. Also why should a bear shaman not get to use a staff or 1hb? Why an assasin not a sword and dagger and bow? As long as the changes come with choices to be made (in case of sword and dagger, you will loose the dex based dps, in case of hox dagger tali you loose the combo stuff in general and with 2he vs dualwield it is a question of combos and abilities available to you.
    If a dualdagger assasin can only do the stuff he does now, if he keeps dualdaggering AND the new choices are just that, new choices (not some higher power tier) it will work. Even better, if they open more hybrid options to make builds and allow battles to be designed with weaponchoice in mind. Imagine the outcry now, if you had bosses immune to slashing damage...
    Imo these choices add to the flavour of the game, not the destruction. Of course it can be messed up...that is why it is good to voice the concerns now, so they understand how we do NOT want it to turn out.
    There are problems with most of your suggestions there, i will just take the easiest one that is letting sins use swords, there are swords in the game intended for rangers that give damage of their dex. The T4 ranger sword has better stats on it than the assassin dagger and 37 more base dps, if the assassin can use that it will make it silly overpowered o the level that white hitting will do more damage than the current dual-dagger. And you cant solve that because the sword need to stay good for the ranger, and you cant buff the other sin-daggers to the same level. If you wanted to solve it you will need to change a number of feats and abilities of the sin to actively exclude their effect on swords, and that is way to much work and will need new systems to handle some of them.
    I am Stian ingame...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarolf View Post
    They will be inspired by TSW when it comes to this additional Weapons stuff i guess.

Maybe we get complete new weapons for each archetype or class, which can be placed in some extra weapon-slot. By activating one of the new Combos for this weapons, there will be some automatic weapon Switch, which makes the whole stuff pretty dynamic, just like it is in TSW. This stuff can bring some nice variations for new Sets and Set-Boni. Hard to believe that funcom goes straight to the wall and just add whole weaponrange for every class, this sounds so stupid and should bring so much work and problems for them to Balance/ design this, so we can be sure that such stuff will not happen.
    This is the best and easiest solution in my opinion

I invasion it as a new weapon that would use some of the existing combos, but would also have new combos that are only for the new weapon. It takes AA tree points to unlock the new combos. So when you first get the new weapon, it is about the same as the stuff you have now, but gets more utility (stun, debuff, bleed...) as you level up the tree.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast