Thread: Installing.....old gamer looking to come back

Default Installing.....old gamer looking to come back

Hi all,
    Old gamer looking to come back and F2P is the perfect way to try it out again (I have no issue paying for sub). I quit 5/14/08 for some new game of the month I am sure and just curious how things are since then. I am a PVE grouper, raider, all the way. I love the grind to max level as well. I see Crom is the most active PVE (and maybe only).
    Questions:

1) Active player base?
    2) Is it still fun to you, and why?
    3) Some leveling / raiding guilds to look for?
    4) I am a flashy, loot centric kind of player (working to get that next best item)...is the loot system vast?

I have tried to get back into WOW (yawn), Tera, Rift, LoTR (close but nobody around), and any other MMO. Archeage, ESO, and a few others are just not that exciting. Just background of where I am coming from and look forward to having fun. There seems to be a lack of MMOs with solid staying power (less WOW).

I miss the old EQ days...maybe Next will capture me...I am also anticipating Camelot Unchained but most of these titles are a ways off.

Default Was also returning player

It only took me 4 days of F2P to become premium. I have really enjoyed the game since coming back. And I am glad I started a new account due to forgetting my original log in info from years back. It seems easy to find groups when needed and even though it slows my progress for a minute or 2, I am enjoying playing in a game with enough population to make an area feel camped at times. Not gonna complain about crowds at this point. Too many empty spaces in some of the games I use to play.

Default Returned at Xmas & Subbed for 16 months:)

Well firstly I would say welcome back but considering you were here at pretty much the start of it, it feels wrong lol
    Only started playing aoc a couple of years back & the intermittent times ive stopped I always end up slapping myself in the face for missing out

Can give you a little info from what ive found from recently returning:

1) Its all about Crom it seems, not a huge PvPer but way back did have a few on the older servers. From what you can read though the PvP servers arent doing that well BUT the Crom PvE server seems full of life tbh.
    With the recently introduced achievement system youve got players of all levels in multiples zones, need a hand with a tough quest? There will be an 80 who needs it for achieves, want to run them at the correct level? There are Purist achievements so people are going through the content again.
    For me the achievement system gives the game a good kick of life & has made people venture out from their raid schedules, good for new or returning players also as it can be used as a guide for questing in areas etc.
    Overall the pop on Crom is fine, can always find groups & plenty of activity in global if thats your bag.

2) For me AoC just has that spark that other mmos dont, mainly the fact that its the only real low fantasy mmo out there. If you want fluffy bunnies & lizard shaman with shotguns then the worlds your oyster but there is only one AoC.
    Also I dont want to use the word "difficult" but in comparison to so many others AoC does have a learning curve, pull too may mobs & your headed south. Great combat system & classes that actually feel like the part they are meant to be.
    I dont know I could go on, but I just really love AoC. There is nothing else like it out there.

3) Cant comment as not sure of your time zone, playstyle etc. That said there are plenty of guilds out there an yes even some rp ones left wandering the world of Hyboria.

4) Have a look at: http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/armory....16;17;18;29;-1
    If that isnt enough shiny loot to shake a stick at then I dont know what is

Totally understand your feeling about other mmos as well, I pretty much buy & try all of them to a degree and despite some moments of longevity with others this is the only one I would really miss if it went south.

Hope you manage to find your feet coming back & if you need a hand or leveling buddy while going through it then feel free to shout!
    Last edited by Rhyxx; 25th February 2015 at 12:48. Reason: Smiley Overload

I'm Pretty much in the same boat as the you too. I came back 2 days ago i played at launch and i was playing as RoTG launched it was awesome, I still don't know now why i left as it always had something that really hooked me. I'm not subbed yet but i will be shortly. I was overwhelmed with my few lvl 80s sat there staring at me so i re-rolled a Demo too get a feel for the game again. Feel free to add me if your looking for somebody to group with although i'm on a some funny times.

Toon is called Mellistae

Question

Hi there,

first of all, welcome back to AoC, hope you enjoy your stay. Since the guy who posted above me
    has already pointed out everthing quite nicely, i don't have to add anything in this department.

But, as you've been writing about the old EQ days, i'm just kinda curious how old those old days are?
    Played EQ myself for quite some time. Started in '98 with the Beta and played the game 'til 2003 or so.

I know, EQ hade a huge playerbase back in its prime, but still, maybe we've met before, who knows?
    Played myself on Brell Serilis PvE (spelling?) at first, than left for Vallon Zek (PvP) as those racewar
    servers went online. More or less stayed there until i left EQ for good.

Ok, enough prattling 'bout the old days,
    hope you'll find your fun here in Hyboria.

See you 'round
    Hawk
    "I have known many gods.
    He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply."
    R. E. Howard - Queen of the black coast

Aerion Brightflame. One night, in his cups, he drank a jar of wildfire,
    after telling his friends it would transform him into a dragon, but the
    gods were kind and it transformed him into a corpse.
    George R.R. Martin - A Clash of Kings

Welcome back to AoC.

I myself just got back into AoC over the weekend. I have a level 44 Aquilonian Guardian on server Crom. I just started a Tempest of Set on Crom and am already at level 18 in Tortage. I love the lore, conflict, story, and overall feel of AoC. The game still has a lot of life in it and has the right amount of semi-realism compared to other MMOs out there. Including knowing how to position yourself when you are in combat. Also the way armor and combat looks adds to the realism and feeling of immersion in this game.

I personally enjoy the game, and am a PVE person. Not really into the whole PVP aspect, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't partake in it.

Welcome back and hope you feel the same way as some of us all do about the game.

Agreed on the new Achievements and the low fantasy feel.

Thanks all! Yes I went ahead and sub'd, tons of benefits and I love the grinding and Crom is very active (I am a PVE guy for life ). As for EQ, I was in Beta in 1998 and played for a long time...moved to different servers but Torv was my home and did pretty much all server firsts with my guild. Even got to the 3 headed dragon (end of PoP at the time) as the final

I have a 68 Guardian now, played a bit with Bearshaman but low level. I see I have a 50 character I can make, just not sure which class now....I am so torn and maybe wait until i level further on my Guardian.

It was a pleasure to hear from everyone, and I am enjoying the game again. It does take skill to play and I think mainly due to bugs...mobs rush to you from out of nowhere!

Guardian is Kalastane, Bearshaman is Kinthas....I can't decide on a good healer or great dps (caster)

Any recommendations?

Pick ToS.

Best of both worlds, healer and caster DPS.

1) Yes, at least for pve
    2) Yes because it's awesome.
    3) None in particular, all but the high end raidy guilds are looking for fresh blood
    4) No, pixellation is pretty basic until you get to the topmost pve.

Play herald. Herald is the best. Also don't make a 50.