Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ingame latency

Default Ingame latency

Since the last server maintenance february 12, 2015 my ingame latency went back (or up ^^) from 110ms~ to 300ms~, I noticed the same behavior around christmas. WTF are you guys doing?

Oh, btw: Professional and reliable game server hoster you got there funcom! Just check out their website LOL http://www.game-hosting.com/services.php
    "Vɪᴄᴛᴏʀʏ ɪs ʀᴇsᴇʀᴠᴇᴅ ғᴏʀ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴀʀᴇ ᴡɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴘᴀʏ ɪᴛ's ᴘʀɪᴄᴇ." - Sᴜɴ Tᴢᴜ

Rᴀɴɢᴇʀ ʙʏ ʙɪʀᴛʜ: Mᴇᴍsʜᴜʀ ʜᴀs ᴘʟᴀʏᴇᴅ ғᴏʀ 325 ᴅᴀʏs 14 ʜᴏᴜʀs 38 ᴍɪɴᴜᴛᴇs 30 sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅs.

Quote Originally Posted by Quistan View Post
    Since the last server maintenance february 12, 2015 my ingame latency went back (or up ^^) from 110ms~ to 300ms~, I noticed the same behavior around christmas. WTF are you guys doing?

Oh, btw: Professional and reliable game server hoster you got there funcom! Just check out their website LOL http://www.game-hosting.com/services.php
    so did you expect a website with Michael Bay explosions?
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

It's not Funcom, it's your ISP. You're German, right? For some reason some German ISPs give really bad peering with US based services such as AoC servers, if your ISP won't fix it then you need a VPN (6-10€ a month for a good service). It's not just German ISPs though, but I know there has been a long on-going issue with at least one of them.

I'm in Europe and still getting my regular 95-100ms. Sometimes my ISP has issues and I get 120+ but when that happens I just use my VPN which brings me back to about 100. Also sometimes my ISP will give me packet loss on AoC servers only, again the VPN fixes it perfectly.

Server-side lagspikes though can't be tamed - but everyone is affected by those.
    Last edited by kalston; 17th February 2015 at 08:48.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBarb View Post
    I think the horrible design is what he's getting at, it looks like a 5yr-old designed that.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    It's not Funcom, it's your ISP. You're German, right? For some reason some German ISPs give really bad peering with US based services such as AoC servers, if your ISP won't fix it then you need a VPN (6-10€ a month for a good service).

I'm in Europe and still getting my regular 95-100ms. Sometimes my ISP has issues and I get 120+ but when that happens I just use my VPN which brings me back to about 100.

Server-side lagspikes though can't be tamed - but everyone is affected by those.
    Well for one Quistan is not German, and as for the ISP-Issues...While I do get your point, I don't think ISPs are to blame here for once. After the last update before x-mas my latency more than doubled, too. A while back this has settled itself without me doing anything. Yesterday I patched the game again and guess who's back, back again....
    Last edited by Maelkjar; 17th February 2015 at 08:50.
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

You're actually describing ISP issues right there. If it was really on Funcom side it would affect everyone the same and consistently - but it doesn't. The fact that it "fixes itself" is also typical ISP behaviour, i.e. sometimes they give you good peering sometimes they don't, depending on their mood (or rather their wallet, it's all about saving money by using slower routes or purposedly degrading the service for some shady reason).

It's simple : do you have latency issue in other games/services? If you don't but other people are not having issues with AoC while you are, then your ISP is to blame for the bad peering.

Obviously if you have latency issues with other games and services it's a completely different matter
    Last edited by kalston; 17th February 2015 at 08:56.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBarb View Post
    No, something solid and fundamental like Martin Scorsese would be okay. Ofc I'm talkin about the cheesy website!

Since my ISP did not change anything, I asked my account manger few minutes ago, I'm going to blame Funcom.
    Last edited by Quistan; 17th February 2015 at 09:18.
    "Vɪᴄᴛᴏʀʏ ɪs ʀᴇsᴇʀᴠᴇᴅ ғᴏʀ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴀʀᴇ ᴡɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴘᴀʏ ɪᴛ's ᴘʀɪᴄᴇ." - Sᴜɴ Tᴢᴜ

Rᴀɴɢᴇʀ ʙʏ ʙɪʀᴛʜ: Mᴇᴍsʜᴜʀ ʜᴀs ᴘʟᴀʏᴇᴅ ғᴏʀ 325 ᴅᴀʏs 14 ʜᴏᴜʀs 38 ᴍɪɴᴜᴛᴇs 30 sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅs.

Seems we will have to seek employment at our ISPs, then, climb the ranks and reroute money towards pristine peering? Sure, thing! Just gimme 3 years

Well, the situation is uh... quite complex.

The different problems are highlighted pretty well there : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

I'm not advocating for net neutrality, in fact I think data discrimination should be used to guarantee a certain quality of service, for example in the case of video games which need a low and stable latency but very very little bandwidth (so ISPs could make it so game traffic goes through the cables traders use - there is a US/EU link with 59ms latency that was built specifically for them). On the other hand video streaming, peer to peer, downloads etc. could use longer routes because latency is non-issue for those services.

Anyway, moving the AoC EU servers to the US was bound to make this kind of thing happen, you can't blame FC for the ISPs faults but you sure can blame them for doing something that hurt the majority of their playerbase.
    Last edited by kalston; 17th February 2015 at 09:38.

Question

Have the same problem here in Austria (DSL-Connection, Fastpath is enabled, LAN-cable modem -> PC), usually my latency is ~170 ms, since a few days (and also some weeks(!) in December 2014) my latency increased up to ~260+ ms.

Helpful is using WTFAST (VPN-Tunnel?). With that I can get a latency around ~160 ms (when I have like now ~260 with my regular connection), but monthly price for WTFast is 9,99 $ (advanced membership) ... tbh I tried it out, it works fine, but I dont want to pay so much on a longer term.

Battleping I tested too (just the trial). It worked (improved latency), but price and functionallity would be similar like WTFAST with basic membership (= lower configuration options, slower network connection).

To change my internet provider is not an option for me (not really better competitors at my place, only DSL available atm).

Can somebody recommend a VPN-Tool or something like that, which works fine from EU and is a little bit cheaper?

Best regards

@Quistan, sorry for using your thread, but issue is the same ... Gruß Isda ;-)
    Last edited by nattok; 17th February 2015 at 10:34.

Maybe http://incloak.com/vpn/

Comes with a free trial and a bit cheaper than the ones you mentioned if you sub for several months (6 months offer is pretty cheap atm for example).

I use this one myself http://www.frozendo.com/frozenway/download (but you'll probably need Google Translate ) It can be cheaper than the ones you mentioned unless you need 8mb or unlimited speed - then it falls in line with the other solutions.
    An alternative (again, French) is http://www.vpn4gamers.com/ this is completely free and only your game traffic will be routed through the VPN (with a bandwidth cap, if you need to download a game update you have to turn it off). You can't select your server with this one, it only has French servers and all are in the same location (Roubaix) with the same provider. So this may not work well for foreigners if they don't have a good connectivity to those French servers. And also, if this specific provider has issues then you are in trouble too... But eh, 100% free and and for French gamers it's almost 100% reliable (it's by far the best French ISP, OVH)

Now those 3 are just the ones I know and have used/recommended to friends.

In my experience most VPNs cost about the same though, I don't really know of any super cheap miracle solution. But maybe it's possible since there are so many VPN providers out there. You could check sites such as http://www.vpnanalysis.com/5-best-cheap-vpn-providers/ and then ask around/Google for reviews/feedback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast