Thread: Changing fonts

Default Changing fonts

Been searching the forums for a bit but couldn't find any guide regarding changing fonts, something I've scratched my head over for a while. I'm sure there's something on the old forums, but I'm not getting anything with the Wayback Machine.

Is it still possible to change the font of floating damage numbers (like shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-eT4zIncrs)? I dimly recall reading that some patch messed it up a while ago, but now I can't find any mention of it.

If not, it still seems like changing the font of the chat and other parts of the GUI is possible, looking at options in certain UI packages like e.g Ikos'. Can someone give me a brief how-to on how to do that? I made some attempts a few months back, but nothing seemed to stick, I'm not sure if I was messing around in the wrong folder (custom vs default I suppose), and I think I attempted to delete some of the default font files and give their names to fonts I'd downloaded of the Web, but the game wouldn't launch with these substitute files iirc. I assume there's a more elegant way of doing it, since the custom UIs that do it don't seem to leave the fonts behind if I delete the Gui\Customized folder. I would also swear that I once, after some furious re-installing of UIs, ended up with one character having a custom chat font while the rest had the default one, but I'm not sure how that could've happened.

In any case, I appreciate any advice/information regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    Been searching the forums for a bit but couldn't find any guide regarding changing fonts, something I've scratched my head over for a while. I'm sure there's something on the old forums, but I'm not getting anything with the Wayback Machine.

Is it still possible to change the font of floating damage numbers (like shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-eT4zIncrs)? I dimly recall reading that some patch messed it up a while ago, but now I can't find any mention of it.
    Lets start by saying, it is possible. But it isn't as easy as it used to be when you could just edit Fonts.xml. Flying damage numbers is now handled by DamageInfo.swf, but it takes the font from fonts_standard.swf. The font used for damage numbers is also used for character names in character selection and possibly also other places, so keep this in mind if you change it.

In order to change it you'll need to A) Rename the font family of the font you want to use to Hyborian2 and install this font in Windows, B) Recompile fonts_standard.swf. Start ConanPatcher, wait for the start button to appear, replace fonts_standard.swf with yours in Default\Flash and start the game. You'll need AoC Quickstart or similar to avoid it being replaced next time you launch the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    If not, it still seems like changing the font of the chat and other parts of the GUI is possible, looking at options in certain UI packages like e.g Ikos'. Can someone give me a brief how-to on how to do that? I made some attempts a few months back, but nothing seemed to stick, I'm not sure if I was messing around in the wrong folder (custom vs default I suppose), and I think I attempted to delete some of the default font files and give their names to fonts I'd downloaded of the Web, but the game wouldn't launch with these substitute files iirc. I assume there's a more elegant way of doing it, since the custom UIs that do it don't seem to leave the fonts behind if I delete the Gui\Customized folder. I would also swear that I once, after some furious re-installing of UIs, ended up with one character having a custom chat font while the rest had the default one, but I'm not sure how that could've happened.

In any case, I appreciate any advice/information regarding this.
    Rightclick a chat tab and select Font Size as either Small, Medium or Large. The corresponding numbers are 0, 4 and 6 and this number is stored for each chat tab in your user settings Windows.xml. These numbers refers to <Font definitions in Default\Fonts.xml. Copy this to Customized and edit it. The first <Font entry is number 0, then just count from there to find the other two.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Sifie; 15th February 2015 at 21:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifie View Post
    Lets start by saying, it is possible. But it isn't as easy as it used to be when you could just edit Fonts.xml. Flying damage numbers is now handled by DamageInfo.swf, but it takes the font from fonts_standard.swf. The font used for damage numbers is also used for character names in character selection and possibly also other places, so keep this in mind if you change it.

In order to change it you'll need to A) Rename the font family of the font you want to use to Hyborian2 and install this font in Windows, B) Recompile fonts_standard.swf. Start ConanPatcher, wait for the start button to appear, replace fonts_standard.swf with yours in Default\Flash and start the game. You'll need AoC Quickstart or similar to avoid it being replaced next time you launch the game.

Rightclick a chat tab and select Font Size as either Small, Medium or Large. The corresponding numbers are 0, 4 and 6 and this number is stored for each chat tab in your user settings Windows.xml. These numbers refers to <Font definitions in Default\Fonts.xml. Copy this to Customized and edit it. The first <Font entry is number 0, then just count from there to find the other two.

Cheers!
    I got the chat font change to work, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. Might give the flying numbers change a go as well, though it seems more trouble than it's worth really if you have to do it again every patch.