Thread: Serious UI bug on character select resulted in deleting wrong character!

Angry Serious UI bug on character select resulted in deleting wrong character!

I am not a premium subscriber; I just now reinstalled the game and was planning to try it out after being away for several years. When I logged in, my characters were still here as expected. I had a level 76 Stygian Necromancer that was my primary character. I had unlocked him as one of my two free slots. I also had several characters with names followed by what appears to be random numbers like "Nefandus24597631" for example. No idea what that is about. These were all low level characters under level 10. I was going to delete these characters.

When I delete a character it asks for my account password for security. This is where I've encountered a UI bug. I have not memorized my password. I keep all of my passwords in an app called Keepass. This allows me to have complex, random, and different passwords for everything. With the correct character selected, I alt-tabbed to Keepass to get the password. I have 2 monitors with AOC on 1 and had Keepass on 2. I right-clicked and "copied" the password and then clicked back on the password box in the game client, pasted the password, and then clicked OK. The bug is that as soon as I "copied" the password it switched the selection to the character at the top of the list, my lvl 76, and deleted it! Is this recoverable? Is there some process that I should use to request a recovery?

EDIT: While typing this, I tried to recreate the bug. It seems like my client just randomly decides to switch to the character at the top of the list. I watched it happen while I was typing this paragraph. I haven't found a way to reproduce it on-demand, but it will switch to the character at the top of the list after several seconds of being idle, even AFTER the password box is displayed. There is no indication of it switching other than the TINY skull icon moves to the top and the box that says "offline leveling" shows the "selected character" change to the one at the top of the list. So I can pick a character, click the skull for delete, the password prompt comes up, and then it randomly switches to whichever is at the top and deletes THAT character if I proceed. This is a very nice situation to run into as a potential returning player.

Quote Originally Posted by Ign0tus View Post
    I am not a premium subscriber; I just now reinstalled the game and was planning to try it out after being away for several years. When I logged in, my characters were still here as expected. I had a level 76 Stygian Necromancer that was my primary character. I had unlocked him as one of my two free slots. I also had several characters with names followed by what appears to be random numbers like "Nefandus24597631" for example. No idea what that is about. These were all low level characters under level 10. I was going to delete these characters.

When I delete a character it asks for my account password for security. This is where I've encountered a UI bug. I have not memorized my password. I keep all of my passwords in an app called Keepass. This allows me to have complex, random, and different passwords for everything. With the correct character selected, I alt-tabbed to Keepass to get the password. I have 2 monitors with AOC on 1 and had Keepass on 2. I right-clicked and "copied" the password and then clicked back on the password box in the game client, pasted the password, and then clicked OK. The bug is that as soon as I "copied" the password it switched the selection to the character at the top of the list, my lvl 76, and deleted it! Is this recoverable? Is there some process that I should use to request a recovery?

EDIT: While typing this, I tried to recreate the bug. It seems like my client just randomly decides to switch to the character at the top of the list. I watched it happen while I was typing this paragraph. I haven't found a way to reproduce it on-demand, but it will switch to the character at the top of the list after several seconds of being idle, even AFTER the password box is displayed. There is no indication of it switching other than the TINY skull icon moves to the top and the box that says "offline leveling" shows the "selected character" change to the one at the top of the list. So I can pick a character, click the skull for delete, the password prompt comes up, and then it randomly switches to whichever is at the top and deletes THAT character if I proceed. This is a very nice situation to run into as a potential returning player.
    It can be dangerous deleting characters, yes. The character select screen sometimes semi-randomly switches character (and not necessarily to the one at the top) after a while.
    This can even happen during that short moment between when you have finished entering your password and pressing Enter......
    My workaround for this is that whenever I want to delete a character I first select some other character (doesn't matter which one) and then select the one I want to delete. At this point I can be reasonably sure that character will stay selected for long enough. Only then do I click on the little skull next to the name and enter my password.

The characters you had with random numbers after their names were characters that got forcibly renamed during server merges due to name conflicts. If you had tried to log in with them you would have been prompted to choose a new name.

I don't know if it is possible to recover your character, but you can try asking Customer Service through http://help.funcom.com

Thanks for the reply. It's somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone in this unusual bug. Hopefully they can help me since it's not exactly my fault that it deleted the wrong character. I've not logged in with that character in years though, so maybe they can't. I guess it's not a tremendous deal since I've not used him and have no idea what he even had, but I was hoping he at least had some coin that I could xfer to a new character. That was the plan anyway. I had already submitted a ticket using that link you gave, but wasn't sure if there was some exact procedure for character recovery. I guess I'll wait on their response.