Thread: Ranger solo Khitai questing

Question Ranger solo Khitai questing

So while I'm still busy leveling my demo (and trying NOT to use my offline levels ^_^) I tried a ranger and wondered how he'd cope with hard solo PVE content like Khitai quests (without uber gear)!?

Does anyone have any newer videos? I only find very old stuff, PVP stuff and raid stuff.

Cheers!

You wont be able to pull as much as a healer or tank, but use the range to your advantagem and kite if needed. Specc lots of cc's
    Boyscout bearshaman

Quote Originally Posted by Selescion View Post
    Does anyone have any newer videos?
    I'm making one for you. It's got my ranger, naked minus his bow and melee weapons, fighting some mobs near Shaulun and also completing a faction quest that involves killing more than one thing at a time. I think I have about 4,000 HP naked - so if I can do it like that, you can too.

I'll post the link tomorrow when I get it edited and online.
    I'll show you roads overgrown and paved with promises long since forgotten, but what you take away will be as much about you as it is me. https://hjbuell.com/about-me/

when questing with ranger, you need to be careful about the pulls, and try to always bring the fight in a safe area...

other than that, the default procedure when you have to pull more than 1 mob, is:
    • go to hide, and do a lower hit on a mob (mezz shot)
    • change target, activate an advantage (shattering or fire) and use pin down (snare)
    • drop the booby trap
    • up and low attack on the snared mob, then bleeding puncture
    • up and low attack on the same mob, then switch to the one that you mezzed at the beginning (should be running to you now) and use pen shot (it should kill the mob that you snared)
    • drop the leghold trap
    • take distance and kill

of course it's just the basic. anyway, always try to maximize the column damage of pen shot and use all your cc to get distance (if needed, switch to sword and shield for shield bash or cripple)...
    don't fight in melee range with the bow/xbow. not only is absolutely horrible to see, but the mobs will melt you down!!

about the build, that's what i use for questing: link...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Quote Originally Posted by RunningWolf View Post
    I'm making one for you. It's got my ranger, naked minus his bow and melee weapons, fighting some mobs near Shaulun and also completing a faction quest that involves killing more than one thing at a time. I think I have about 4,000 HP naked - so if I can do it like that, you can too.

I'll post the link tomorrow when I get it edited and online.
    You better do that! I've already invited my friends to watch it tonight!

Srsly: AWESOME!

@Yawgmoth-VDN: Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Selescion; 25th January 2015 at 09:20.

Default Video Live

Quote Originally Posted by Selescion View Post
    You better do that! I've already invited my friends to watch it tonight!
    Sorry it took so long! Here is the video and a super long and detailed guide. Share or throw a FB like.

Cheers

http://visihow.com/Play_a_Ranger_in_AOC

Edit: I totally forgot to mention that the Ranger is completely naked - something like 190 dps, and 2.35 mitigation or so. No rings, no necklaces - just crossbow and bolts - both from the vendor, and the weapon and shield - I believe blue player craft L75 shield, and a Falchion of the Blue East (I think).

Also, everything is set up for not using hotkeys, as quite a few of the 'new' players I have met don't use hotkeys or are just learning how to really maximize hotkey use. So if you already know how to rock your hotkeys, they you don't need to worry about that part. If you don't, you can see that I can still manage to work through those monsters an such even with no armor and not using a single hotkey. :P

Cheers!
    Last edited by RunningWolf; 19th February 2015 at 07:07. Reason: Update Info
    I'll show you roads overgrown and paved with promises long since forgotten, but what you take away will be as much about you as it is me. https://hjbuell.com/about-me/

Sorry it took so long! Here is the video and a super long and detailed guide. Share or throw a FB like.

Cheers

http://visihow.com/Play_a_Ranger_in_AOC

Edit: I totally forgot to mention that the Ranger is completely naked - something like 190 dps, and 2.35 mitigation or so. No rings, no necklaces - just crossbow and bolts - both from the vendor, and the weapon and shield - I believe blue player craft L75 shield, and a Falchion of the Blue East (I think).

Also, everything is set up for not using hotkeys, as quite a few of the 'new' players I have met don't use hotkeys or are just learning how to really maximize hotkey use. So if you already know how to rock your hotkeys, they you don't need to worry about that part. If you don't, you can see that I can still manage to work through those monsters an such even with no armor and not using a single hotkey. :P

Cheers!
    Very nice video! Great tutorial. I am a new Ranger myself (level 63) sitting in Atzels Approach and this will be very useful when grinding for my factions. Thanks for the work you put into this.

i watched the video too, and it gives good hints and a good explanation, even if, i think that to put 2 traps every time is a waste of time! also, i drop the trap after i did the mezz shot, not before...

but those are just details, the biggest remark is about clicking: people should learn how to bind the abilities and not click on them with the mouse!! don't encourage clicking!!

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Default Clicking

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgmoth-VDN View Post
    i watched the video too, and it gives good hints and a good explanation, even if, i think that to put 2 traps every time is a waste of time! also, i drop the trap after i did the mezz shot, not before...

but those are just details, the biggest remark is about clicking: people should learn how to bind the abilities and not click on them with the mouse!! don't encourage clicking!!
    Haha! 100% agreed! I totally was not encouraging clicking. Rather, I was going from the perspective of looking at it from a new level 80 user - accustomed quite possibly to another MMO where clicking an ability was just how they played. So in that case I felt that giving them the tools - and literally showing them - hey man, I suck at clicking, but if you are a clicker, here is how you can still do good clicking.

Step it up and do even better with hotkeys of course

For the traps - I don't always do that either - it takes forever - but if you are lacking gear and just starting out, I feel that definitely increases your chances of survival as you get to apply the DOT + KB followed by + Root and usually kill anything intent on eating you. Once you get good (and are using hotkeys) then 100% learn to drop faster.

I wanted to make a video of me taking down the whole set of guys for that BB quest where you kill the guy who has the baby tree of death just outside of Shaulun - but that required all of my gear and wasn't really a fair representation of what a new player could expect to accomplish (I think that is one of the hardest solo mini quests in game for a ranger to learn on too - which is another reason why I didn't do it).

Thanks for the comments compliments

Haha! 100% agreed! I totally was not encouraging clicking. Rather, I was going from the perspective of looking at it from a new level 80 user - accustomed quite possibly to another MMO where clicking an ability was just how they played. So in that case I felt that giving them the tools - and literally showing them - hey man, I suck at clicking, but if you are a clicker, here is how you can still do good clicking.

Step it up and do even better with hotkeys of course

For the traps - I don't always do that either - it takes forever - but if you are lacking gear and just starting out, I feel that definitely increases your chances of survival as you get to apply the DOT + KB followed by + Root and usually kill anything intent on eating you. Once you get good (and are using hotkeys) then 100% learn to drop faster.
    yup, the problem of clickers is also that very often they use the keyboard to turn and move....
    and for a class that should be always moving, like ranger, it's totally crap!!

I wanted to make a video of me taking down the whole set of guys for that BB quest where you kill the guy who has the baby tree of death just outside of Shaulun - but that required all of my gear and wasn't really a fair representation of what a new player could expect to accomplish (I think that is one of the hardest solo mini quests in game for a ranger to learn on too - which is another reason why I didn't do it).
    that quest is not easy on any class, because there are several patrols, and you need to be careful about the pulls...
    actually, i think it's easier to do on ranged classes than melee ones...

Thanks for the comments compliments
    you're welcome!!
    as i told you, it's a good explanation of the basics of the class...

i'd like to make a video too, but i never did them and i'm also quite lazy... but... who knows...