Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: porting in minigames with cowards shame

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    That's an ISP issue, I've had it myself some times and using a VPN fixed it. My Belgian buddy has it literally every day as well. It's because AoC runs with a cluster of servers (even changing zone you can find yourself on another server) and they all have different IPs and for some reason I get a completely different connectivity from one to another (it's as if they weren't all hosted by the same provider, which would be weird but it's FC we're talking about) although it rarely reaches the point of NO connectivity at all... but it can happen.

Compare your ping to those ips:

You will probably get different results from one to another even though you shouldn't as they are all in NJ and they are all part of the AoC servers' cluster.
    Ill try that when im back home from work tonight.

However how can it be an ISP issue, i didnt change ISP, all i did is a fresh windows/aoc install and this wasnt happening to me before in the frequency that happens now. Sure i was getting community server issues every now and then even before, and an odd "cowards shame" while in minigame already but it was very rare. Now it just happens way too often. In the past 10 days on my ToS i have 26 "minigames left" (i doubt i have left 26 minis in total on all my toons since may 2008) while i actually left 0 times, and there is no way i did more than 50minis in total during those 10 days so its like 50% chance that ill get this. Also pls note that this occurs to me ONLY after a loading screen and not during a minigame, and on top of that i have increased chances of getting it if i zone in with an open inventory/pvp tab/AA screen etc. Now this does annoy me but it is just an aesthetic issue, i could even ignore it if there werent any practical issues but unfortunately there are.

When i bug like that, if im doing TT i cannot see which quarter is capped by who, i cannot see the score, i cannot see the % of the totems. When i do JS i cant see which flag is capped by who, neither the score. If i do CTS i cant see where the flags are on the minimap. In all kinds of minis i cannot see the whole composition of the group im in. Last but not least, i cannot do the quest for the consecutive minigame wins as it resets and starts over. It is just too messed up in general.
    ॐ ॐ ॐ

I feel bad about feeling good about that~

I know this isn't a very serious post but this specific issue has more to do with ISPs than with Funcom. This is especially true for EU players as the EU/US connectivity is such a common problem (but you can indeed blame FC for moving the servers away from the bulk of the playerbase...).
    The math behind the actual number of transformation-matrix clones of the »Aim-twice-hit-once-(in-a-while)«-feature™ is: Math.rand((poorClientServerPrediction + lowServerFPS(latency)) * ((latency / 100) + 1))

Damn, I just broke my NDA :O

Exclamation

This type of ISP issue comes and goes, it's a matter of connectivity between the different networks and and operators. It can be fine one day and bad the next. It can be fine at a specific time of the day and bad at another. It's completely random.

It's just what the internet is, a maze of cables, routers, operators etc. A broken cable/router usually isn't a big deal as there are almost always alternative routes (but those are generally much slower) but at times they simply "forget" to reroute the traffic... which can make things like this happen. And then there's of course issues that have nothing to do with hardware but purely to do with money (if say operator Y didn't pay the bills to use the cables of X). Good example is how the French operator Free is constantly arguing with Google to the point where Free users get an insanely degraded service with anything hosted by Google (such as Youtube).

This is especially true for routes that see little traffic (I think we can agree AoC doesn't generate much traffic nowadays ). Two options then : your ISP fixes it or you use a VPN (which generally costs money for a good service, like 6-10€ a month...)

There can be issues on FC side too of course (and the operator they use, when I say ISP, I don't necessarily mean yours) but if you play from Europe chances are the issues are not on FC's side since your packets go through so many cables and operators before reaching AoC servers.
    Last edited by kalston; 10th December 2014 at 10:51.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

This type of ISP issue comes and goes, it's a matter of connectivity between the different networks and and operators. It can be fine one day and bad the next. It can be fine at a specific time of the day and bad at another. It's completely random.

It's just what the internet is, a maze of cables, routers, operators etc. A broken cable/router usually isn't a big deal as there are almost always alternative routes (but those are generally much slower) but at times they simply "forget" to reroute the traffic... which can make things like this happen. And then there's of course issues that have nothing to do with hardware but purely to do with money (if say operator Y didn't pay the bills to use the cables of X). Good example is how the French operator Free is constantly arguing with Google to the point where Free users get an insanely degraded service with anything hosted by Google (such as Youtube).

This is especially true for routes that see little traffic (I think we can agree AoC doesn't generate much traffic nowadays ). Two options then : your ISP fixes it or you use a VPN (which generally costs money for a good service, like 6-10€ a month...)

There can be issues on FC side too of course (and the operator they use, when I say ISP, I don't necessarily mean yours) but if you play from Europe chances are the issues are not on FC's side since your packets go through so many cables and operators before reaching AoC servers.
    Thanks a ton for your input Shainah, ill try to see if i can solve it like this.
    One more question, you think the fresh windows/aoc install is completely irrelevant to my issue?
    ॐ ॐ ॐ

It's very likely just pure coincidence :/

My friend who started having this issue daily a few days ago didn't change anything in his machine. I had the issue myself last week end (or the one before, not sure) for no reason whatsoever.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengel View Post
    The math behind the actual number of transformation-matrix clones of the »Aim-twice-hit-once-(in-a-while)«-feature™ is: Math.rand((poorClientServerPrediction + lowServerFPS(latency)) * ((latency / 100) + 1))

Damn, I just broke my NDA :O
    why did i even hate this game's performance. it all comes down to this formula, this piece of art -just perfection

thank god, this just opens pvp to so many birdbrained players; read casters or rangers -which actually is the same, hmmm

Got the same shity issue, after a mini guild tab is gone and can"t sign to mini anymore.
    It's like the game asking us to leave him alone =°

Quote Originally Posted by Sloubi View Post
    after a mini guild tab is gone and can"t sign to mini anymore.
    Correct, forgot about this. All minis seem to have 0 ppl in que and even if you sign up they still stay at 0 -.-

In any case, with some trial and error, i think i managed to reproduce this quite accurately, at least from my end (dont know if its the same for others having similar problems).

-If i accept the minigame popup while having any tab open ( such as inventory, feats or AA screen, quest tab, pvp tab, guild tab, item shop etc etc) i will bug out exactly as i described.
    -If i accept the popup without any tabs open on my screen instead, i zone in normally with no bugs.

Go figure...
    ॐ ॐ ॐ

that's an isp issue, i've had it myself some times and using a vpn fixed it. My belgian buddy has it literally every day as well. It's because aoc runs with a cluster of servers (even changing zone you can find yourself on another server) and they all have different ips and for some reason i get a completely different connectivity from one to another (it's as if they weren't all hosted by the same provider, which would be weird but it's fc we're talking about) although it rarely reaches the point of no connectivity at all... But it can happen.

Compare your ping to those ips:

you will probably get different results from one to another even though you shouldn't as they are all in nj and they are all part of the aoc servers' cluster.
    im that belgian buddy, vpn fixed it
    listen to shainah
    shainah is a beast
    mechanno says no

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12