Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss - Game Director Letter November 2014

The lore system in TSW is one of my favorite parts of the game. Happy to see AoC moving in a similar direction.

I prefer lore entry #2.

I would say neither an encyclopaedia nor a monologue. I would love to see something similar to the following:

"Physical altercations, among other similar traditions like sacred battle rites, were deemed as virtues and were consecrated by the Vanir, whose manes were symbolic of a pyre by nature, and whose belligirent tempers could never be stifled or rivalled, finding peers only among arrows that brought death, picked up, and reused upon their foes. Each of the tools of destruction from the red-haired warriors was mastered and honed by generations at the hearth and under the sky, as their hymns and cachinnations resounded both in a similar jovial fashion: one could only be stricken by awe at witnessing their fierce resolution to sow and win wars. In that respect, the Vanir also made others covet the fearless inspiration that drove the enemies afar."

P.S. I hope the WBs will be moved to PVP areas on Crom too. All "frustrating abilities" were those that did nothing and allowed us not to group up, so let us cross our fingers for more challenging encounters on Crom with communication and grouping at PVP areas!
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 4th December 2014 at 09:01.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Another vote for text #2 from me, makes it a bit more fun to read.

LunaticAsylumLA: PVP players said no to world bosses, that is why it is pve content now. You have been around long enough to know this, you cant come now and say you want it to be PVP-content.
    Last edited by Civilix; 4th December 2014 at 08:25.
    I am Stian ingame...

Quote Originally Posted by Conamiral View Post
    For me too, the 2nd example of lore is much better. But it would have to be signed, so we know who exactly said it. And as the mod suggested, it could be scholarly if, for example, it was written by Astreas, or some other Hyborian scholar.

I would also LOVE to find all the great stuff written for the game in an ebook. Over the years, there has been some pretty good writing in AoC (like the backstory of Karutonia or the House of Crom), and it'd be a shame to lose all that when the game will be taken off-line (even if that won't happen for many years). Even quest dialog can sometimes be pure gold (like the Astrologer or the Gold Seller in the Noble District).

I would pay good money for a nice ebook like that!
    Some really great lore, writing and storylines in both AoC and TSW. Think I have the Tyler Freeborn "There are worse things than monsters" speech memorized.

Until/if something like you're talking about happens I tend to screenshot anything of that nature. Sooooo many screenshots of AoC dialog, like Kang's telling of the seven agonies of Yun, and lore stuff like this:

http://www.the-kindred.org/Images/sc...picture033.jpg

Anyway, if I had to choose a style I'd pick number 2 though I'm more of a *use whatever best fits the situation* type of person.

Glad to hear that the achievement system will keep being expanded.

As for the lore, the #1 encyclopedia version seems too dry to fit into Hyboria, it lacks character.
    The #2 on the contrary matches way better the style of Howard and thus AoC.

So i vote for #2.

It's also nice to hear that pets and other stuff will be available to purchase through tokens, although i do hope one won't need to kill 250 bosses to buy one single pet.

As for everything else that the player base is eager to see coming, i guess that as long as the achievement system is not finished, nothing else will be worked on since it's kinda obvious FC is not affecting more resource than the bare minimum to deal with one item at a time.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

So no solutions from GD for servers with no population and toons that are stuck on dead server...

I also prefer the encyclopedia version.

Couldn't you use an ingame survey which lore type to use ? In the forums there are only a few percent of the players. Would be more accurate using an ingame poll.

i vouch for 2nd version much more - its that much of a Hyborean style and its kind of Howardish as well

i got a question - where is new mini map/game - its quite long time since it was spoken about it - it was in progress, nearly had its deadline and release date ... and now totally nothing about it - minis are vital part of nowadays pvp - especially with pvp streak quest being out - and it would be very very nice to have it - imo after new open world pvp add ons - you should focus on minis and ranking system (not only for pvp but all around one - and yes achievements arent enough - pvp ones seems shallow and very shortend) there is plenty ideas around - imo we need more then 1 mini each 2-4years (and btw imo sounds very easy to implement...) ... honestly nobody died yet cos of abundance - and certainly it will surely turn into more players having more fun/stuff to do and better popularity of game or activities that are availble in it

also where are transfers out of rage ? long time since devs spoke about it and no more input on it

so please consider greatfully ranking system and bring out minis faster - its really nice activity since for example those pvp festivals turned out on crom for farm hours rotation between bigger guilds or for totally exploiting its mechanics with fellow alts of some players getting job done, and minis are somehow still most balanced (while balancing system is still somehow broken), fair part of pvp

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    P.S. I hope the WBs will be moved to PVP areas on Crom too. All "frustrating abilities" were those that did nothing and allowed us not to group up, so let us cross our fingers for more challenging encounters on Crom with communication and grouping at PVP areas!
    Ah yes and have grievers show up by the score and ruin the whole WB encounter right away!
    Oh what wonderfull fun, great idea, really! *sarcasm off*

No offence, but there is a reason why the bulk of players is playing on Crom and thus on a PvE server.
    If you want more PvP, just move on to Rage or Fury, but by all means just leave Crom as it is!

As for the lore thingy, i'd vouch for #2 all the way; more immersive, more REHdish!

Best regards
    Hawk
    "I have known many gods.
    He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply."
    R. E. Howard - Queen of the black coast

Aerion Brightflame. One night, in his cups, he drank a jar of wildfire,
    after telling his friends it would transform him into a dragon, but the
    gods were kind and it transformed him into a corpse.
    George R.R. Martin - A Clash of Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye-67 View Post
    Ah yes and have grievers show up by the score and ruin the whole WB encounter right away!
    Oh what wonderfull fun, great idea, really! *sarcasm off*
    WBs were designed as PvP content. Why you sohuld have safe encounter? Its not enough safe instances for your lovely mob-killing?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast