Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss - Game Director Letter November 2014

Unhappy Lack of information

I am a bit disappointed about the lack of information in this director's letter. Sure it's good to see that some world bosses have been reworked, but what's the status of:

- the Palace of Cetriss?
    - the new 12 man instance?
    - T4 PVP gear?
    - any sub offers for Christmas?
    - other unchained instances?
    - any other adventure zones that are being worked on?

Sure I know that AoC has a very limited budget these days but somehow I am not really convinced at the moment that even the subscribers' money is not only being used to fund other FunCom games...

Thank you for the changes to world boss on pvp server and that the portent relic gain will be the same for both kind of servers.

aww i liked the queen of acheron
    i would have changed the crab (trice drowned?) and the lurker...

i forget to mention, that last part where he said they will take hands on crafting in junary, im happy about it.
    meh...

I like the encyclopedia styled lore as it makes me think about which stories it is based on.
    Retired

Default Conan the storyteller

I would say have Conan tell it, i.e. make the lore entry from Conan's perspective. He has been everywhere and you can use him as a subjective source giving good information.

In the Hyborian age piece, REH talks about the rise of the tribes:
    "In the north, golden-haired, blue-eyed barbarians, descendants of the blond arctic savages, have driven the remaining Hyborian tribes out of the snow countries, except the ancient kingdom of Hyperborea, which resists their onslaught. Their country is called Nordheim, and they are divided into the red-haired Vanir of Vanaheim, and the yellow-haired Æsir of Asgard.
    ... the Cimmerians are tall and powerful, with dark hair and blue or grey eyes. The people of Nordheim are of similar build, but with white skins, blue eyes and golden or red hair.

Then from Phoenix on the sword, a direct quote from Conan:
    "Asgard lies to the north, and Vanaheim to the northwest of Cimmeria, and there is continual war along the borders."
    "Tall and fair and blue-eyed. Their god is Ymir, the frost-giant, and each tribe has its own king. They are wayward and fierce. They fight all day and drink ale and roar their wild songs all night."

If you can merge these two, and write it somewhat as if Conan (or possibly another subject) were explaining it to an adventurer. In Jewels of Gwahlur, Conan even knew a bit of ancient tongues.

By combining the styles to give useful subjective information, you will be able to give good lore detail and include vocative or conversational parts such as: "An icy country of mountains and glaciers, of wind-torn shrubs and the tracks of hungry wolves. But watch out when in Nordheim! The Vanir live for plunder and rapine while their women-folk defend their homes. All in the frigid land live by the sword."

You can also include in-game details, such as "The mighty frost wyrm turns in the frozen bowels of the earth."

Sorry, I don't do it as well as REH, but I hope my meaning is clear. Tell it from Conan's perspective is a good place to start to set the tone of lore entries.

Jewels of Gwahlur extract:
    "In his roaming about the world the giant adventurer had picked up a wide smattering of knowledge, particularly including the speaking and reading of many alien tongues. Many a sheltered scholar would have been astonished at the Cimmerian's linguistic abilities, for he had experienced many adventures where knowledge of a strange language had meant the difference between life and death."
    Last edited by ArcaneScientius; 3rd December 2014 at 19:12. Reason: spelling
    In balance with this life, this death
    -- Hand of Ibis RiP
    Magic is seeing what happens when you hit someone really hard, and when they disappear in a red spray, that's magic.
    -- Jansensen, Gunderman fighter {max taps - RiP}
    CQB Ranger

Default Library books?

Perhaps this is better said in the suggestion thread, but being you are going to have text files like this in game, why not make some books in libraries clickable? In hub cities and player guild cities? Your writing staff could get all sorts of creative writing text about other cultures from the perspective of their own bias. And you could have very encyclopedia hyboria sounding text as well.

@ ArcaneScientius
    Wouldn't it be cool to find Conan's journal in his throne room?
    Last edited by ATN575; 3rd December 2014 at 19:20.

Lore entry number 2:

1) i am here to play a game, not read something akin to a 'manual', i skip those since they are at best a hindrance to immersion
    2) sometimes less can be more. You feed them everything in a wall of text, where goes the wonder? Better to show less, and in a manner that allows for some thinking it through. it makes one engage a bit further with the topic
    3) since the tone of text is a personal one, the possibility is always left open for you, the developers, to present conflicting stories regarding the same topic through different NPCs or quest scenarios. As always, the best and most meaningful lore is the one discovered by the players themselves. Let them find out what's what wherever it matters. Don't hand it to them

(obviously just my own thoughts)
    Obsequious and arrogant, clandestine and vain

Quote Originally Posted by ATN575 View Post
    ...@ ArcaneScientius Wouldn't it be cool to find Conan's journal in his throne room?
    There are clickable scrolls and such in-game already (Pra-Eun quest and reliquary of flame, if I am not mistaken), so I am sure they could implement it. Might make walking through the Tarantia library more interesting/rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
    ... As always, the best and most meaningful lore is the one discovered by the players themselves. Let them find out what's what wherever it matters. Don't hand it to them...
    I agree. One could also have rewards for discovery, such as finding a chest at the ruined Temple of Ibis past Caravanserai, which send you to a lore-related NPC, such as Hadrathus or Kalanthes (or a clone NPC of him outside of Tortage). They can then give you a reward or send you to find additional lore related to a specific topic, such as Ibis or whatever, that are used throughout the different game areas to get a larger reward. This can even be aligned to raid or dungeon quests to enable players to do lore quests while dungeon diving. (obviously also just my own thoughts
    In balance with this life, this death
    -- Hand of Ibis RiP
    Magic is seeing what happens when you hit someone really hard, and when they disappear in a red spray, that's magic.
    -- Jansensen, Gunderman fighter {max taps - RiP}
    CQB Ranger

Cool Lore entry

I like Lore Entry 2 because it is more like a work of fiction and keeps the immersion in the game going. Also, I thought that the suggestion that the entries be told from Conan's perspective was very intriguing. If you told it from a character's perspective, why not tell it from some of the other characters in the game, as appropriate (i.e., Casilda, Tina, Fabio (that could be a very funny one), Tamarin, Toth Amon, Vesa Nesa...you get the idea).

K

Lore entry #2 is better by a long shot. Howard didn't write Conan's books as encyclopedias.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast