Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right click + Aim

Default Right click + Aim

I have been playing ESO, Elder Scrolls Online, for a while now and one of the things I absolutely love about the game, in terms of functionality, is the direction they took with aiming in the game. What I mean is, unlike AoC, you don't have to hold down the right mouse button in order to aim.

Having to continually hold down the right mouse button to aim, in AoC, seems rather silly now that I have played a game that removed that silly mechanic.

I have thought it through, with AoC, and because of the fact that I never click on someone to select them... I always tab target, and with the new auto-loot feature making its way to AoC, I don't see the need any longer to need the mouse pointer, except for rare occasions...

I have been trying to set my new Roccat Tyon mouse up so that I have a toggle... so, if and when I might actually need my mouse pointer, I could simply toggle it off and on... unfortunately, I can't get a macro setup this way.

So, I emailed Roccat support seeing if they had any ideas... and they said they don't allow for Toggles...

I am skilled enough to hold right-click and strike down my foe just fine... but, the way I see it, holding right click to aim is an archaic and old method for aiming... by comparison, imagine playing a FPS and having to hold down a button in order to aim... how annoying would that be?

So, I am here to see if anyone has figured this technical challenge out?

I even tried to see if there was some setting I could change in AoC settings for this... but I don't see anything.

I have been playing AoC all these years and was accustomed to whole right-click to aim as this is something I used in other MMO's... I believe WoW is configured this way... but in WoW, you can actually click on a target easily with your mouse pointer.

Anyways, thoughts, ideas, and or solutions?

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by Rohaus View Post
    imagine playing a FPS and having to hold down a button in order to aim... how annoying would that be?
    I actually prefer to aim (scope/ironsights) by holding down a button.

Do you mean moving the camera?

I have been playing ESO, Elder Scrolls Online, for a while now and one of the things I absolutely love about the game, in terms of functionality, is the direction they took with aiming in the game. What I mean is, unlike AoC, you don't have to hold down the right mouse button in order to aim.

Having to continually hold down the right mouse button to aim, in AoC, seems rather silly now that I have played a game that removed that silly mechanic.

I have thought it through, with AoC, and because of the fact that I never click on someone to select them... I always tab target, and with the new auto-loot feature making its way to AoC, I don't see the need any longer to need the mouse pointer, except for rare occasions...

I have been trying to set my new Roccat Tyon mouse up so that I have a toggle... so, if and when I might actually need my mouse pointer, I could simply toggle it off and on... unfortunately, I can't get a macro setup this way.

So, I emailed Roccat support seeing if they had any ideas... and they said they don't allow for Toggles...

I am skilled enough to hold right-click and strike down my foe just fine... but, the way I see it, holding right click to aim is an archaic and old method for aiming... by comparison, imagine playing a FPS and having to hold down a button in order to aim... how annoying would that be?

So, I am here to see if anyone has figured this technical challenge out?

I even tried to see if there was some setting I could change in AoC settings for this... but I don't see anything.

I have been playing AoC all these years and was accustomed to whole right-click to aim as this is something I used in other MMO's... I believe WoW is configured this way... but in WoW, you can actually click on a target easily with your mouse pointer.

Thank you,
    You almost always hold down the right mouse button to "aim" in a FPS, especially while you're controlling your movement with the asdw keys.

Suggestion wise, get an auto-key presser program and set it to always hold down the right mouse button. Failing that, get some electrical tape and tape down your right mouse button.

Yes having to press and hold mouse key to move camera around is not only annoying but very straining for your fingers. Download X-button mouse controller, set your preferred mouse keys to "sticky" option. This way once you click the assigned key it will "lock" on and you wont have to keep the buttom pressed to move the camera around. Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgaarr View Post
    Yes having to press and hold mouse key to move camera around is not only annoying but very straining for your fingers. Download X-button mouse controller, set your preferred mouse keys to "sticky" option. This way once you click the assigned key it will "lock" on and you wont have to keep the buttom pressed to move the camera around. Hope it helps.

Cheers!
    This guy gets what I mean.

Thank you Wulfgaarr! I have used that software in the past and very much liked it! I am hoping to find a similar option within my Roccat Tyon software but if not, will give that a try.

As for holding down the right mouse button for aiming.. in AoC... yes, that moves the camera around but it is also the aiming mechanism used. Essentially, the aim is completed by moving the camera...

As for holding down the right mouse button for aiming.. in AoC... yes, that moves the camera around but it is also the aiming mechanism used. Essentially, the aim is completed by moving the camera...
    One thing I'm not clear on is exactly what you mean by "aim". In AoC, you don't actually have to point your camera at your target to hit them like you would when shooting a gun in a FPS.

If you are on a caster, you simply need to target your opponent, by either pressing tab or left clicking on them (assuming you are using a player/mob target spell and not a self centered or ground target aoe). On a melee class you simply need your character to be facing your opponent to him them, you don't need to have him actually targeted. Your camera could be pointed away from your opponent and you could still hit them.

The only place in AoC where you can actually "aim" at your opponent to hit them is when using a bow/crossbow while fully zoomed in with the camera. This is rather inefficient and the only benefit is a slightly increased range.

Unfortunately, I was unable to use my Roccat Tyon mouse to perform the "Sticky" function as mentioned by Wulfgaarr. In fact, I emailed their support asking if there was a way to configure their software for this method... this was their response, "Unfortunately it is not possible to toggle a mouse button or a macro at all. This would allow to use our devices for automatizing game functions. We want to help users in the games but we don't want our devices to be used for cheating / botting. Because of this we decided to not offer toggle functions or indefinite macros at all. I am sorry that I cannot help you in this case."

Pretty lame... I paid $100 for this mouse and I can't have this simple feature built in? I have to go to a third party tool to do this...

Which, by the way, X-Button Mouse Control works like a charm! I now am able to sticky my right mouse button so I don't have to continually hold it down. I actually set the Fin button, of my Tyon, so that it triggers the Sticky... when I need my mouse pointer back, I just simply right click and voila, I have my pointer back.

So, thanks again Wulfgaar! You sir helped clear up the madness!

Honestly, once you get use to NOT having to hold the right mouse button down, just like in ESO, it feels so dumb to have to revert back to holding it down for aiming. And, when I say aiming, there is aiming involved while playing a melee character, especially with PvP in mind. Holding down the right mouse button to aim all while pressing multiple keys and mouse buttons as a Bear Shaman... anything I can to do lessen the button presses is heaven to me! In fact, there is a target reticle at the base of your targets feet... you are supposed to aim or point the camera... or point your toon... at that person... and when you don't, you miss your combo. This is aiming... sure, you don't have a target reticle but I am sure you have played FPS games before that didn't allow for a target reticle... last one I played like that was Bad Company 2... some servers played hard mode.

Thanks again Wulfgaarr! You rock!

Glad I could help! Cheers.

It turns me off when there is a game where you do not have to hold the right mouse button. The approach is a bit weird and very uncomfortable. I am glad that Age of Conan has this feature! The only problem is the one you have mentioned: autolooting...
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Thank you,
    It's just a L2P issue. All do learn it, why not you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast