Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: T5 Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Ernests View Post
    If you can't or don't want to answer, then just don't do it
    i gave you a hint, then do your homework... do you want everything served on a silver plate??
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

If you can't or don't want to answer, then just don't do it
    He gave a you a hint, check your debuff, you are smart arent you?

It is clear to all of us that have had to look at buffs, debuffs, the boss's blows and casts. But it is a tactic? In This topic we are discussing tactics.
    Nobody is forcing you to talk tactics, if you are afraid to disclose your's guild secrets.
    Last edited by Ernests; 3rd December 2014 at 09:19.
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

most common tactic in AoC: go there and kill everything as fast as you can.

The problem is that sometimes players are rooted, but sometimes not
    It has to do with the port group's adds, and like its said already, the timing of them. Can't really say much more than that without blatantly spoiling it.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Sent you a pm with guild secrets to not spoil it for others :P

So, we're trying to kill Yakhmar with a different tactic from the one explained in this thread. Essentially we just keep kiting the adds (with timed aggro switches) and (spoiler for those who don't want to know, highlight to read)

we use the "safe zone" at the start of the instance to preserve the tank who's kiting at that moment.

One of the problems we're having is that sometimes the adds seem to stop following the kiting tank. They just stop at the edge of vision if you're standing next to Yakhmar, they stand there doing nothing until the next Temper, and then they seem to start behaving in a weird way.
    Is this a specific element of the fight or are we just facing a bug? And if it's the latter, how the hell do you "unbug" them?

I don't know, but using "fangs of set" or "bewilder" make your life easier with the adds.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusLL View Post
    So, we're trying to kill Yakhmar with a different tactic from the one explained in this thread. Essentially we just keep kiting the adds (with timed aggro switches) and (spoiler for those who don't want to know, highlight to read)

we use the "safe zone" at the start of the instance to preserve the tank who's kiting at that moment.

One of the problems we're having is that sometimes the adds seem to stop following the kiting tank. They just stop at the edge of vision if you're standing next to Yakhmar, they stand there doing nothing until the next Temper, and then they seem to start behaving in a weird way.
    Is this a specific element of the fight or are we just facing a bug? And if it's the latter, how the hell do you "unbug" them?
    Without actually seeing what you are doing in person, it just sounds like you are doing some things you probably shouldn't be doing.

How you can have 1 tank kite all 4 adds, avoid Freezing Gale mechanic, etc just seems very odd.

Also, do you have just tons of adds active as the fight goes on, or are they all bugging out like you mentioned.

Once again, with not really knowing exactly what's happening, it does sound like a lot of weird stuff happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Without actually seeing what you are doing in person, it just sounds like you are doing some things you probably shouldn't be doing.

How you can have 1 tank kite all 4 adds, avoid Freezing Gale mechanic, etc just seems very odd.

Also, do you have just tons of adds active as the fight goes on, or are they all bugging out like you mentioned.

Once again, with not really knowing exactly what's happening, it does sound like a lot of weird stuff happening.
    Hmmm there isn't any big secret, I just assumed this tactic was the one used by every group which is not using TFB one.

Once again, I'll write details in "spoiler color" so highlight to read it:

Basically there's an area at the start of the instance (all the way up the hill) where you're immune from Freezing Gale / They Hunger. We use this area to kite the adds away with a 3 tanks rotation on Yakhmar:

- the first tank stays on Yakhmar until Temper comes. Once Temper is cast, the adds switch from their kiters to the tank. The second tank in the rotation forces an aggro switch on Yakhmar (Goad + whatever aggro bomb the tank has), while the first one hops on the horse and runs all the way to the safe zone. The adds start following the first tank but since the instance is huge and they're slow they will never get to reach him. The tank himself can stay mounted since he doesn't need to block during They Hunger.
    - after the next Freezing Gale is cast, the first tank starts running back. Meanwhile a new Temper will be cast, so the next add wave (plus all the previous ones) will switch on the second tank in the rotation. At this point the third tank forces an aggro switch, the second one runs away, while the first one is back and ready for the next switch.
    - you just rinse and repeat this procedure for the whole fight.

Obviously you get more and more adds as the fight progresses but this is not a problem since the tanks are very fast (sprinting on a mount), the adds are very slow and the instance is very large. So you just give the "wall of adds" a wide berth while you're running out / running back in. And since the adds keep running back and forth (away from Yakhmar following the previous tank / back to Yakhmar following a Temper) they will never get to reach anyone.
    The advantage of this tactic is that you don't need high dps, and also since you can focus all the damage on Yakhmar you can kill him quickly.

That's the theory at least. In practice what happens is that most of the time the theory works, but every now and then one or two "stray" adds do not switch after a Temper; they keep following the tank who got the *previous* Temper, and at that point they have enough time to go all the way back to him and kill him.

I thought it could be because Temper has a maximum range and if you kite the adds too far away from Yakhmar you can get a few adds which don't get affected by the next Temper and cause the problem. But yesterday, for example, I was specifically looking at them to check for any irregularities and at one point they started behaving weirdly; they would follow the tank normally after the Temper, but once they had reached the limit of my vision from Yakhmar (which I've set at the maximum 3500 range) they would just stop and stay there doing nothing. Which still wouldn't be a problem since that' s already far enough that the next tank has plenty of time to run away after the next Temper (when they restart moving), but then we got some of them which didn't switch in a following cycle. What's worse, once this weird behavior was triggered, it became persistent through subsequent tries. And I know for a fact it's not supposed to happen because in previous tries they never stopped and kept following the tank up the slope and out of my vision until the next Temper was cast.

So that's why I was wondering if there was a bug or there's some element of the fight which triggers this different behavior and I've not yet been able to uncover.
    Last edited by MagnusLL; 6th December 2014 at 09:45.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast