Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: T5 - Too easy?

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    They weren't allowed to delay the launch of the game. It had to come out when it did.
    Yes, I'm sure the money people were adamant the game finally get released so they could get some return on their investment.

Worked out well for short term I guess, but long term, not so much....

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    They weren't allowed to delay the launch of the game. It had to come out when it did.
    Indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidos_Interactive

That said, while FC are not to be blamed for the rushed launch, they made a number of bad commercial calls themselves - most notably, opting to focus their resources on a new MMO instead of supporting their existing one(s).
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

What they should have done is instead of dumping money on 'the Secret World' and a Lego game which frankly has a niche market and comes off as another generic MMO with a Lego skin, re-invest money into AoC, update graphics, update the combat system, and fix every possible thing that went wrong with AoC and introduce to the world AoC 2.

BTW, does anyone know how much more 'The Secret World' earns for Funcom compared to AoC? They just lump the two together along with Anarchy Online into 'large scale MMOs' in their balance sheet. 'The Secret World' seems to be getting regular -fresh- updates (since this is the only way to get money in a B2P game) on a timely basis, while AoC's updates can be calculated in geological time. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Valicard View Post
    BTW, does anyone know how much more 'The Secret World' earns for Funcom compared to AoC? They just lump the two together along with Anarchy Online into 'large scale MMOs' in their balance sheet. 'The Secret World' seems to be getting regular -fresh- updates (since this is the only way to get money in a B2P game) on a timely basis, while AoC's updates can be calculated in geological time. What gives?
    They don't publish game-specific data, but when you look at their results over time, you get a certain picture:

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    I've made a habit of collecting their quarterly figures...

Q2/14: USD 3,190k [TSW Tokyo update]
    Q1/14: USD 3,836k
    Q4/13: USD 4,270k
    Q3/13: USD 5,336k
    Q2/13: USD 5,465k
    Q1/13: USD 6,338k
    Q4/12: USD 7,786k
    Q3/12: USD 10,963k [TSW launched]
    Q2/12: USD 2,557k
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    They don't publish game-specific data, but when you look at their results over time, you get a certain picture:
    Ah, thank you for that. Always thought TSW was making far more for Funcom then AoC was.

Something, to chew on however. Pre-TSW, the revenue was 2.5 million, let us assume that this is effectively AoC's revenue(although this number presumably includes AO) then we get the surge to 10 million with secret world launching(and the base game being sold in stores/online) So, roughly 7.5 million attributed to TSW sales. We see a steady decline in TSW (although B2P chapters were being sold all this time) by the time the Tokyo expansion comes out we're looking at 3.8 million with probably ~2.5 million of that being AoC+AO. That means through store/chapter sales TSW is only pulling in 1.3 million in sales? We'll see after the Tokyo expansion gets a boost or not...but if it remains around there then TSW is in serious trouble.

In other speculative news, say Conan generates 2 million a year stand-a-alone (we're assuming AO still generates 500k per year for Funcom). Say also most people pay the yearly sub up and perhaps once in a while buy some FC points, say also -some-people pay the 15 bucks monthly. Let us then suppose that each person is roughly worth 15 bucks per month or 180 dollars a year. That means in a very roundabout estimate that there are currently 11,000 paying players in AoC. Even if you evenly divide the 2.5 million between AO and AoC(this is most definetly not going to be the case since AoC is far and away more popular then AO) you still get 7000 paying(supposedly active) players in AoC.

So, then the question becomes..where the ÷_%# are all these players?!
    Last edited by Valicard; 25th October 2014 at 14:10.

Im pretty sure most of em r only for guild raids online.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirasta View Post
    Im pretty sure most of em r only for guild raids online.
    Wow, so that must mean several thousand players just get on to do raids. Do you believe then if the concentrated on making dungeon loot 'more enticing' people will stop with the silly 24 mans and actively do more 6mans and perhaps get into PvP as well?

Hm, is there any reason to do dungeons or pvp except for the very few new players? Dont tell me u are havi g fun running the same dungeons and minigames u did the previous 4 - 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirasta View Post
    Hm, is there any reason to do dungeons or pvp except for the very few new players? Dont tell me u are havi g fun running the same dungeons and minigames u did the previous 4 - 6 years.
    There exists some people who have trouble finding a solid/active guild that can succesfully round up 24 players to be on at certain times. And really, all I want to do is get on anytime round up 5 other people and do a dungeon. I find dungeons more fun,personal, and much more exciting. My most exciting/moments were from 6mans, my most "damn I should really quit this game" moments came from 24 man raids.

Ah, thank you for that. Always thought TSW was making far more for Funcom then AoC was.

Something, to chew on however. Pre-TSW, the revenue was 2.5 million, let us assume that this is effectively AoC's revenue(although this number presumably includes AO) then we get the surge to 10 million with secret world launching(and the base game being sold in stores/online) So, roughly 7.5 million attributed to TSW sales. We see a steady decline in TSW (although B2P chapters were being sold all this time) by the time the Tokyo expansion comes out we're looking at 3.8 million with probably ~2.5 million of that being AoC+AO. That means through store/chapter sales TSW is only pulling in 1.3 million in sales? We'll see after the Tokyo expansion gets a boost or not...but if it remains around there then TSW is in serious trouble.

In other speculative news, say Conan generates 2 million a year stand-a-alone (we're assuming AO still generates 500k per year for Funcom). Say also most people pay the yearly sub up and perhaps once in a while buy some FC points, say also -some-people pay the 15 bucks monthly. Let us then suppose that each person is roughly worth 15 bucks per month or 180 dollars a year. That means in a very roundabout estimate that there are currently 11,000 paying players in AoC. Even if you evenly divide the 2.5 million between AO and AoC(this is most definetly not going to be the case since AoC is far and away more popular then AO) you still get 7000 paying(supposedly active) players in AoC.

I think you forgot about the revenue decline before TSW. AoC should have continued to decline after, which means TSW is worth a larger share than you assume. Helps explain the population differences. TSW I believe has a better population than AoC, but it is really hard to gauge without numbers.

Back on topic:

The more time I spend in T5 Yak, the more I think the fight is unbalanced. With a reasonably balanced raid, your aoe dps is too low to reliably get through the adds. This feels like Entity all over again. Stack aoe ranged dps if you want an easier win. If the difficulty is really supposed to be at the level you have with a fully balanced raid, then the fight is much too difficult.
    Last edited by tapwater; 25th October 2014 at 17:12.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast