Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combomania

Default Combomania

It is strange in a way how things work in pvp fights. If you run away from soldiers combos around a corner and 20 m away the combos still hits you in the back and one of them follow you in a insane jump and do the killingblow. If you start a spell like column lightning and prepare target 1sek + animation 2.5 sek the target have slipped away from los and spell canceled. They pop up again and you must reconsider options.

Players can hide behind a tiny woodensticks in Sag then you cast lightning at them ffs. And soldiers can land combos uninterrupted at any point what is the logik in that?

No wonder every tos go for aoebuilds.
    Last edited by poke101; 19th October 2014 at 11:48.

Ye it wuold be great if melee dmg is working only 4 m from where its started. That way everyone would just be in constant sprint and those easy mode pesky melees wont hit anyone. Death to the unskilled melles, long live clickers!

lol blame the soliders ofc. You'll get hit by daggers from 20m and a wall too, it's just shorter combos.
    Boyscout bearshaman

Its fine that combos hit regardless runs the target runs out of LoS.
    Firstly after doing a long combo the caster has made some distance from the melee and the melee now must get close once more to do any combo. Casters dont need to do that you just chain your cast while target is in Range which is much bigger than melee. If it would be as you suggest, then melees should be able to move while executing combos as well, which would be even stronger.
    Secondly a combo is harder to land than a cast. You just have to look roughly the direction your target is in. Rangers dont even need that once they started "casting".

Quote Originally Posted by CueQue View Post
    lol blame the soliders ofc. You'll get hit by daggers from 20m and a wall too, it's just shorter combos.
    Shouldn't this give a hint to a solution to the problem of heatseeking "whatever"?
    There was a good video linked on the old forums explaining why the actual system is not ideal and some kind of compromise. But this does not mean that it can not be improved. Should be common sense that having insane instant abilities/spells and combos with partly very long animations all the while the fighting takes place with 170ms or more latency IN AVERAGE and involves again partly insane movement speeds can be problematic. If you followed the discussion about "fast paced combat" and "comboskipping" and "rangers" there were already a lot of good suggestions given, from moving while doing combos over shortening the animations to moving part of the finisher animations and damage into the presteps. The said video explained some of the technical difficulties coming with some of the suggestions (maybe someone still has the link?).

And of course some of the described behaviour is actually not an intended mechanic, but a simple exploit probably. But we do not talk about this here (though any search on the net can explain a lot).
    I do not think the actual remaining playerbase would be open to an actual fast paced and skillfull combat (not all fast paced combat has to be like unreal or quake), that is less hardware or third party dependant, as well as i don't think the funcom team can actually implement the suggestions (or remember them even with the old forums vaporized).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 15th October 2014 at 11:53.

Pretty much any game besides AoC has rather fast paced button-mash playstyles, which is exactly why I always quit them shortly after trying them, and I think I'm not the only one who did this. Apart from the class-design this is pretty much the only thing giving AoC an edge compared to other games, so I guess you are right, many will not be open to such a system, me included.
    The melee-combat system has also been made to be faster-paced over the years, I remember the days when SdS on sin was still a 3-step-combo or when big combos of other classes even had 4 directional hits before the animation was started. That has been gradually watered down to the current state for the sake of faster-paced combat, leaving most melees with 1-step combos, 2-step at most.
    Still I don't see the point in saying that current AoC state of the game would not require skill. Go watch Mechanno, Claret or Zuny go wild in PvP and tell me that what they do involves no skill.
    Jumping around turning back and forth wildly to avoid a sin's melee-hits without doing anything else is easy and not worth mentioning, I agree. Still being able to control the fight while doing it is another story.

If I wanted pretty much what you suggested in "Hoppy Toad Movement" thread I could pretty much have all that instantly. All I'd have to do is start Guild Wars 2. There's a reason that I don't do that, and I guess I'm not the only one at that.
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

I have always liked about AoC combat the rythm and variety of available combos. Sadly as you said, this has been dumbed down a bit recently...especially in pvp, where there is usually not more than one or two valid builds. When it comes to combos the exploitability also plays a role (or not so harsh: how they work together with a gamestyle "on the move"), so not much variety there nowadays either.

I have not played guild wars 2, so i don't know, how you imagined what kind of combat i would prefer. Maybe we are not so far away than it seems? (because i do not want to get rid of the combo system as it is, just some modifications concerning active and passive defenses, movement and damage distribution would balance it out a lot. Also some combos just scream: "divide me up!". There is a reason some people start them and abort them, when they are not critically hitting)
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 15th October 2014 at 16:13.

Really wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked or deleted, it offers nothing constructive.
    It's set up that way to balance, a mage can shoot spells from long range, where a melee has to walk right up and start the combo. Which is why casters tend to stick to spells which are quicker to cast unless their opponent is CCed. It's been that way for a long time.

It is probably no way to change this, you better to adapt. But its somewhat annoying then you is focused by melees and trying to seek cover behind a stonepillar and the damage still hits you down. Maybe you escape the ranger or the demos nuking but not this combos. In the same way a melee can just slip behind that same stonepillar to break my spellcastinganimation or in the same way break my spellcombo of sparks same goes for the stormfield that cant go through. To bad they change the brain spasm spell also that then activated Always take the first incoming fear ect. and reduced it to the worse. Now you must activate it then you Think you are in danger and it lasts only for 12 sek and have long cd. The people on FC probably dont what toses to play any different than SF aoe build. And the same goes for the LS spell that ironically isent a major spell even in a Lightning build. some Days back in history it was fundamentaly for the toses now you only use it for a quickcast and skip it. To many minuses for a playstyle without stormfield.

Im for a break of combos and it should be same for all classes or make my spells hitting the same way. If i cast sparks channeling spell they must Always hit no matter like this combos. If Arrows and swords can hit in an unaturall way my sparks can do it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Corais View Post
    Its fine that combos hit regardless runs the target runs out of LoS.
    Firstly after doing a long combo the caster has made some distance from the melee and the melee now must get close once more to do any combo. Casters dont need to do that you just chain your cast while target is in Range which is much bigger than melee. If it would be as you suggest, then melees should be able to move while executing combos as well, which would be even stronger.
    Secondly a combo is harder to land than a cast. You just have to look roughly the direction your target is in. Rangers dont even need that once they started "casting".
    Ok. Make me able to cast all my spells on the run also and its a deal. Probably the most decent thing too do. And make my spells to Always hit right after the animations starts. We are cripple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast