Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PvP hoppy toad movement

Default PvP hoppy toad movement

When I first started playing AoC PvP was alot of fun and seemed very realistic in how the various archetypes moved in combat. Now it's all just players hopping around evasively, which is okay, but it is very unrealistic in the extremes of movement that are allowed. The player characters look more like hop-toads than humans. A Charge is okay, bursts of speed or an evasive leap, fine, just make the combat look humanly possible/ relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesaint View Post
    When I first started playing AoC PvP was alot of fun and seemed very realistic in how the various archetypes moved in combat. Now it's all just players hopping around evasively, which is okay, but it is very unrealistic in the extremes of movement that are allowed. The player characters look more like hop-toads than humans. A Charge is okay, bursts of speed or an evasive leap, fine, just make the combat look humanly possible/ relevant.
    Playing since 2008 and when it comes to jumping it was always like that. Matter of fact it was worst because side step movement could be cancelled by blocking which resulted in even weirder animations. That and also there was "combo cooking" which made combo animations to cancel while still dealing damage so player A stood still while player B got massive damage dealt to him.
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    "combo cooking" which made combo animations to cancel while still dealing damage so player A stood still while player B got massive damage dealt to him.
    unluckily this and combo jumping are having its renaissance right now
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Quote Originally Posted by Daraios View Post
    unluckily this and combo jumping are having its renaissance right now
    think ur talking about a bug. that bug, u cant move otherwise the dmg cancels, its some messed up combo jump bug
    40k kills
    [Deathbyheals]: but you'd get face f*cked in 2 seconds if you didnt have all the cheats
    [** a 'The Law' insider**]: actually they(the law) flame u the most[**a The Law' insider**]: the y(the law) say u hack like a bitch
    [Group] [Aoccompanion]: oh no its hacker bowless
    [Hotranger]: i heard you were a cheater
    [Chriscause]: Sinful nice speedhack

I've been subbed to AoC since May 20th 2008. And in the beginning there was some evasiveness to be sure, but no high-speed acrobatics. Maybe some players pre-program an evasive set of maneuvers? Whenever I do the same maneuvers it looks like my character is a turtle in bunny-land. I watched a PvP instructional vid on Circle-Strafing and sprinting turns. Kind of what I do now, but not very realistic. That's what I look for in PvP. Is it handled realistically or in a way that exploits game mechanics. I think originally most AoC players wanted the realism combat but that has moved to very advanced hoppy-toad combat. I just don't like how it looks or plays.

Ahh, maybe it's the seperation of Stamina for combat from Energy for sprinting. Before this players would have run out of Stamina for combos if they sprinted everywhere in combat.

Movement was slower back in the days but i agree with Slith movement has always been unrealistic in some manner. My personnal favorit was the double tap + jump... just hidious. Then again compared to most games the animations for melee are rather sober and the jumps well animated. The problem with realism will always be there. For instance... combos aren't realistic...
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Chaman-bourru View Post
    Movement was slower back in the days but i agree with Slith movement has always been unrealistic in some manner. My personnal favorit was the double tap + jump... just hidious. Then again compared to most games the animations for melee are rather sober and the jumps well animated. The problem with realism will always be there. For instance... combos aren't realistic...
    There have been a lot of suggestions made to solve this. Some are exploit/bug related. Apart from this there are other ways to fix it or at least reduce it. I think it comes from the playstyle of certain fps shooters, where jumping gives direct benefits. Sadly it gives direct benefits (even more than in a fps) here in AoC. From being faster, over bug exploits to simply generating more lag.

step 1- Just give jumping some cost in stamina and energy (might take some tests to find a good amount here, but worth it). In return you can add some ingame boni/debuffs to it (e.g. +evasion, but -hit rating, maybe different boni, if you do step 2)
    step 2 - change how you can jump in combat (e.g. only full jump in combination with forward key, not 360° jumps from standstill with speed bonus). With some effort you can let space + movement key have different effects (forward = big jump forward, left/right = evasion roll/step, back = evasion roll/step less far but with less penalties than sidejump)

We're playing a game here where casters can conjure pets that look like taken out of a toilet and explode on melee-dmg, yeah thats realistic. The casters in the Conan movies were only capable of hiding in mirrors, lifting doors and lighting torches, why don't we reduce them to that in the game too for realism? Or maybe casters should be silenced until they die after being hit by a barbs decapitation - cause without a head you might have troubles casting, y'know? Come on, it's just realism!

Seriously though, I wouldn't want to mess with the last aspect of actually skill-based combat in AoC, actually erratic movement is the best, if not even the only defense for some classes in melee, think of the casters, especially ToS.
    Last edited by Maelkjar; 10th October 2014 at 09:24.
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

Quote Originally Posted by Maelkjar View Post
    We're playing a game here where casters can conjure pets that look like taken out of a toilet and explode on melee-dmg, yeah thats realistic. The casters in the Conan movies were only capable of hiding in mirrors, lifting doors and lighting torches, why don't we reduce them to that in the game too for realism? Or maybe casters should be silenced until they die after being hit by a barbs decapitation - cause without a head you might have troubles casting, y'know? Come on, it's just realism!

Seriously though, I wouldn't want to mess with the last aspect of actually skill-based combat in AoC, actually erratic movement is the best, if not even the only defense for some classes in melee, think of the casters, especially ToS.
    100% agreed. This is not a swordplay simulator. Also, jumping has its drawbacks as well, in that you cannot change direction while in the air.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Maelkjar View Post

How would changing a silly looking exploitable mechanic into a working active defense and buffrelated mechanic be any less skillfull? Unless your definition of skill (knowledge, flexibilty, rotation, timing, real life (not bot!) reactions) is a lot of different than mine...

I still remember the stubborn arguments about comboskipping and the absolute hatred against any change leading to actually implementing what is good about an exploit into a wanted mechanic. Maybe because than everyone can learn and it is not so exclusive anymore??? I'd rather go the way of listening to the users of these exploits and see how they can be implemented properly and balanced, instead of another unbalanced removal of features or nerfs.

If being considered "a good player" involves silly jumping and knowledge of exploits, it should be common sense to realize something is WRONG. This applies of course to casters as well.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 10th October 2014 at 09:43.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast