Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conan College - tutorial site started!

Quote Originally Posted by magnum92 View Post
    Haha! Love the site
    And I love your videos. :P Especially the necropolis with 1 pillar.

Quote Originally Posted by netsike View Post
    Thanks! I follow your site for a longer time now and actually I wanted to write you and ask a few stuff. I'm happy you wrote first and soon I'll send you that message.
    ok, nice!

/10chars
    Retired

Great work m8! ;-)
    aocfeats.com - Age of Conan feat planner
    Tutu - Dark Templar | Tuts - Bear Shaman | Nedbee - Demonologist

Awesome idea, the site looks really good! And best of luck with it.

Few ideas. Saturating your content for a certain group isn't a bad idea per se, but in case of "newbies" it can be difficult to reach them if your content is for them only. Be sure to add in useful content for veterans as well because it can be a effective way to get you exposure. I see you already have a "downloads" zone, maybe make in-game scripts from those dungeon tactics etc. I'd definitely see myself using scripts for info from "List of must-have perks in Khitai dungeons" -post. Sometimes you can't remember the cast names or have people in group who don't know them at all, it'd be super handy to just pop a script up. Adding credits and the website in them would be a good way to expose your site to new people (your sig too!), especially those who don't read the forums (often those who would benefit from your site the most).

Another thing that could be interesting for new and old players alike is "guest lecturers". We've got a good amount of awesome players, some are like "real celebrities" here and I know I would love to hear thoughts on their main class etc if you'd manage to lure them in for something like that. Your sites basic idea is to be educational, but there's really no limit how deep you can go in it and getting some "advanced" stuff will definitely get your site noticed.

You said you don't pvp, but pvp guides are tricky anyway, everybody has their own idea what do do, how and when. PvE is of course similar, but the community is more forgiving. Still, that doesn't mean you couldn't make posts on it, just make the posts about something that's a fact, not opinion. CC mechanics breakdown, list of CC's by class, CC resists, bubbles, their icons, names and cast durations, durations, CD's, range, particle effects, animations etc. There's tons of stuff there just waiting for someone with time and willingness to list together and I bet a lot of people would find useful.

Nice site. Should've put glasses on Conan too, but it's good enough.

As for content, video guides would probably be better for dungeons/raids since people are getting increasingly illiterate these days. Except making good videos are a lot harder than just slapping down raw footage on youtube (maybe with some annotations on it), so if you won't be doing much editing and prettification you should stick with written guides.

Also, you can plagiar from my noob threads around here much as you like. No need to credit or anything, that info is there to be spread.

Also also, scripts are for the weak. Don't encourage their use.

Awesome site mate, good work
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    Also also, scripts are for the weak. Don't encourage their use.
    Yeah, wimps use roads, real men go off-road. What are you doing on a computer then, shouldn't you be LARPing or something.. Scripts are there to make things quicker, or often to make things happen at all. There's a reason why schools today are using more and more computers, iPads etc, they are affordable, quick, interactive and effective. You can be an old fart and against all progression by your self but don't expect anybody to come and ask you for advice how education should be organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Belawen View Post
    Awesome idea, the site looks really good! And best of luck with it.

Few ideas. Saturating your content for a certain group isn't a bad idea per se, but in case of "newbies" it can be difficult to reach them if your content is for them only. Be sure to add in useful content for veterans as well because it can be a effective way to get you exposure. I see you already have a "downloads" zone, maybe make in-game scripts from those dungeon tactics etc. I'd definitely see myself using scripts for info from "List of must-have perks in Khitai dungeons" -post. Sometimes you can't remember the cast names or have people in group who don't know them at all, it'd be super handy to just pop a script up. Adding credits and the website in them would be a good way to expose your site to new people (your sig too!), especially those who don't read the forums (often those who would benefit from your site the most).

Another thing that could be interesting for new and old players alike is "guest lecturers". We've got a good amount of awesome players, some are like "real celebrities" here and I know I would love to hear thoughts on their main class etc if you'd manage to lure them in for something like that. Your sites basic idea is to be educational, but there's really no limit how deep you can go in it and getting some "advanced" stuff will definitely get your site noticed.

You said you don't pvp, but pvp guides are tricky anyway, everybody has their own idea what do do, how and when. PvE is of course similar, but the community is more forgiving. Still, that doesn't mean you couldn't make posts on it, just make the posts about something that's a fact, not opinion. CC mechanics breakdown, list of CC's by class, CC resists, bubbles, their icons, names and cast durations, durations, CD's, range, particle effects, animations etc. There's tons of stuff there just waiting for someone with time and willingness to list together and I bet a lot of people would find useful.
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm not concentrating on newbies (even if it seems like currently), the first guides are the ones I wrote earlier for the new members in the guild and of course I don't forget the veterans. I have a lot of ideas what to write about, but there is sooo many stuff and it's pretty hard to decide where to start. The videos I would like to make will contain a normal footage of a run WITH explanation, probably in text. Imagine it like when something is about to happen, the video pauses and an explanation text pops up. It's pretty easy to edit, everyone can read it, so even the ones with bad english knowledge could translate it (and they wouldn't have to figure out what am I speaking about) and also can be illustrated with additional maps and markers about positioning. And about PvP: feel free to write a guide about it and I post it!

Quote Originally Posted by Belawen View Post
    Yeah, wimps use roads, real men go off-road. What are you doing on a computer then, shouldn't you be LARPing or something.. Scripts are there to make things quicker, or often to make things happen at all. There's a reason why schools today are using more and more computers, iPads etc, they are affordable, quick, interactive and effective. You can be an old fart and against all progression by your self but don't expect anybody to come and ask you for advice how education should be organized.
    I understand both of you: scripts are making things sometimes too easy (for example W1, Yaremka...) but with pug groups they are very useful!

T5 tactics would be a nice addition, perhaps soon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast