Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on building PC for conan

Default Need advice on building PC for conan

howdy guys I'm based in Australia I have $1500aud to spend can I possibly ask the tech gurus to give me some advise on what parts to buy to be able to run AOC on high please, i'll need everything from the box up, as I am using a laptop at the moment
    this will be my 1st build as well

cheers in advance
    Shaggy
    CROM-Shaggaliscus- lvl 80 brute conq- born may 2009, Shaggybear- lvl 80 BS, Shaghldr- lvl 80 barb, Shaggphyre- lvl80 dt, Shaggavasha- lvl 80 necro, Shaggypyro- lvl 80 demo, Shaggadelic- lvl 80 tos, Shagconian- lvl 80 guard, Shaggablehox- lvl 80 hox, Shaggyshaft- lvl 80 ranger, Sinfulshagga- lvl 75 sin, Shagga- lvl 6 pom

FURY- Shagginator- lvl 10 zerka barb

http://bloodnashes.guildlaunch.com/

Moved to the relevant forum.
    Short cuts make long delays.

I would recommend a 2011-3 CPU and Motherboard. Since you are limited to your resources, I would advise this:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590
    Motherboard: ASUS LGA1150 B85-PLUS B85 4xDDR3-1600 2xPCI-Ex16 ATX. Do not save money on Motherboards, but do not pay for expensive onboard video or sound controllers.
    Memory: Two sticks of DIMM DDR3 8192MB PC12800 1600MHz Kingston HyperX (16GB total).
    Power supply: Corsair AX 860W or anything over 600W.
    Monitor: Samsung 24" S24C650DW 1920x1200 or anything with 1920x1200 (not 1080!!!). Wide-screen monitors (16:9) suck, but we have to get a compromise (16:10).
    Case: ask for any Miditower ATX-size case without a power supply.
    Fans: check what fans (10-, 12-inch, etc.) can be attached to the ATX case selected. Put one on suction and one on exhaust.
    CPU cooler: IceHammer IH-4500.
    Disc drive: SATA Blu-Ray Asus Combo (BC-12D1ST) Black to watch films or to listen to music that you buy.
    Hard disc drive: SATA-3 500GB Seagate 7200 Barracuda. You do not need a lot of gigabites on your hard drive unless you are a professional video producer or a filmmaker.
    Solid-state drive: Optional. I would skip it. Many others would buy it (128GB or more).
    Card-reader: Optional. I would get any internal one.
    Cables: DVI video cable to connect the video card and monitor.
    Video card: PCI-E Asus GeForce GTX 770 OC 4096MB or PCI-E Asus GeForce GTX 780 OC 3072MB
    Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Z (SB1500) PCI-eX RET
    Controllers: A4Tech XL-760H Laser 3600dpi mouse (or anything with 2 or 3 buttons (you do not need more) with an extra sensitivity button to suit your needs) and any cheap PS/2 or USB keyboard. Do not pay extra for any features that you will not need. Check the space key, shifts, Enter, and click all buttons to select the keyboard of your choice. The fewer extra buttons it has, the better it is.
    Sound system: Stereo only! 3-way speakers or 2-way speakers with a subwoofer will do. Also, a good amplifier with a low signal-to-noise ratio is needed. You can save up by getting active speakers (amplifier and speakers as one unit). Anything that looks like this http://www.saintclassified.pk/upload...eake-55dd8.jpg might be good. If you cannot afford those, go for headphones. Remember that any headphones are cutting the low end of the amplitude-to-frequency curve, but do not buy headphones that offer bass boost or are for "computer game players" (they usually have boosted lows). Check that the frequency response range is around 20Hz-20kHz if you cannot get amplitude-to-frequency charts. Buy a microphone. I suggest any clip-on microphone that you can attach to the wires coming from your headphones.
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 15th September 2014 at 04:32.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Meh. I'd go like that.
    Since I don't know any australian tech reseller, I'll link from the first google result.

What you probably need

Case: Fractal Design R4 Titanium Grey
    Power Supply: Antec HCG520
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
    CPU Fan: Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile
    RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX PC12800 DDR3 4GB
    Motherboard: Asus H81M-E LGA 1150
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX770 OC 2GB
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM Sata3 3TB
    Keyboard: Logitech K120
    Mouse: Roccat Kova+

What you can change to save money

1/ Change the case to the Cooler Master N200 to save 90$. If you don't want to get inside the case yourself, it should be enough.
    2/ Drop the CPU Fan to save 80$. I wouldn't advise it since (as far as I know) it's hot most of the time in Australia, but if you don't push your comp too far, the stock fan will do the job.
    3/ Downgrade the HDD from a 3TB to a 2TB (this one) to save 25$.

Remember that an SSD is really useful. AoC loads lots of data from the disk when it runs.

What you can change to spend more money (but not too much!)

1/ Go for more ram, like 2x Kingston ValueRam PC12800 DDR3 8GB. It's not really needed though, unless you do a lot of multitasking (I'm still waiting to get past 7GB myself)
    2/ Get a bigger SSD. The Samsung 840 EVO 500GB is what you're looking for.
    3/ Change the keyboard for the Ozone Strike Mechanical Keyboard. There's blood from fatalities too!
    4/ I love my Logitech G502, but you can go for the Logitech G402 Hyperion (quite good too, and cheaper), or if you're a squid, either the Logitech G600 MMO or the Razer Naga Hex.
    5/ Add a Blu-Ray drive or a DVD burner drive (way cheaper). It's not really needed anymore, but having one around can sometimes be useful.

Now for some text!

About the sound

You don't really need a sound card, but you can get one cheap and good like the Asus Xonar DGX. If you want a better one, go for the Creative Sound Blaster Z. Either way, something like the Creative Inspire T10 is enough to play AoC and listen to some music, and you can have a Zalman ZM-MIC1 for less than 10$. But if you live with someone or play FPS like CS:GO, you need a good headset. The SteelSeries Siberia v2 is quite good. i currently have a Logitech G35 (doesn't seem to be on the site, the G930 is the same except it's wireless), and it's really good, even if a little heavy afters 2-3 hours. The must is the Sennheiser PC360 Game, but it's not on this site either. So you need to go a little higher with the Sennheiser PC363D. You won't even know it's on your head.

About the monitor

It seems there's no Iiyama reseller in Australia. Try looking for the ProLite XB2485WSU, it's a really good monitor. I was about to write some more, but it's already 10AM here and I haven't slept yet. I'll leave it at that until I get some sleep
    Short cuts make long delays.

thanks guys for your input I really appreciate it

so Luna when you say limited resources I take it I need more than $1500 ? I could maybe convince the missus to let me have $2000 but that would be max lol
    cheers guys
    CROM-Shaggaliscus- lvl 80 brute conq- born may 2009, Shaggybear- lvl 80 BS, Shaghldr- lvl 80 barb, Shaggphyre- lvl80 dt, Shaggavasha- lvl 80 necro, Shaggypyro- lvl 80 demo, Shaggadelic- lvl 80 tos, Shagconian- lvl 80 guard, Shaggablehox- lvl 80 hox, Shaggyshaft- lvl 80 ranger, Sinfulshagga- lvl 75 sin, Shagga- lvl 6 pom

FURY- Shagginator- lvl 10 zerka barb

http://bloodnashes.guildlaunch.com/

- intel i5 or i7 cpu
    - read carefully what kind of properties a motherboard have. you don't want to pay for things you don't have any use.
    - graphics card.. this one can be tricky because there are so many choices. too cheap won't run conan, too expensive is too big of a slice of your budget.
    - when choosing case make sure the graphic card you chose fits in it. cooling is also important. one fan in the front taking air in, one or two in the back pushing hot air out and if possible have something on the side too or on the top.
    - cpu cooling.. if you don't overclock the one that comes with the processor should be enough
    - at least 8gb of ram
    - SSD is a must, even a 120gb one is enough to have windows, conan and the most common programs on it. it really makes a difference. pc load faster, games load faster, everything basically works faster when you have an SSD. use regular hard drive for storage etc.

- power supply, anything up from 500watt is okay. just don't buy the cheapest one.
    - keyboard and mouse.. don't buy cordless and don't buy cheapest available.
    - optical drive.. if you don't use bluray discs don't buy bluray drive, regular dvd drive is enough.
    - your new motherboard probably has usb3, buying a 8/16 gig thumbdrive is recommended since you can update/install all kinds of stuff using just usb drive
    - sound card and sound system.. you don't need a sound card other than whats on the motherboard. for audio playback get some speakers, no need for any fancy ones unless pc is your main source of audio. have a quality headset for gaming.
    - for a monitor go for a fullHD one and at least 24"

is there a certain store you gonna use or buy from different places?

My opinions:
    - SSD is a must - you've heard that before :P
    - don't spend too much money on PC case...any Cooler Master Elite series 3xx will do just fine. Fractal Design may look cool and all...but your case will prolly lie in the dust somewhere in the corner of the room, so there really is no need to show off.
    - decent 500W power supply should be more than enough (f.e. Fortron HEXA 500W - quite cheap/decent quality), don't fall for all that high watt madness crap, current Haswell i5 CPUs have very low wattage.
    - don't pay too much for the graphics card, I believe nVidia GTX660 and/or AMD Radeon R9 270 are quite ok, there is no need to pay more.
    - there is no need to buy a bigger and expensive CPU cooler unless you are an overclocking nut, Intel CPU package contains quite decent cooler nowadays.
    - as for the sound system...headphones with a mic are a way to go...choose carefully and spend some good money on those, you will wear it all the time...Sennheiser, SteelSeries etc.
    - Anzu's recommendation about LCD panel is correct...Iiyama LCDs are really good with decent price tag, plus it's a Japanese brand.
    Emirri - Dark Templar
    Naerri - Herald of Xotli, Arrienne, Argene, Barbeena, Conqubinne, Shaniz, Shinzei, Laylani and Dorela

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyMac View Post
    when you say limited resources I take it I need more than $1500 ?

What is AUD in Euro? I think it´s still a lot...1000 Euro are more than enough.

i5 4670 (180 Euro) is more than enough..less power needed and in MMOs all cores are almost unemployed.

z87 board..take any that is not too cheap..100 Euro upwards. Sth like MSI Z87-GD65

SATA HDD as u wish plus 1 SSD (no Crucial.cheap but often issues with the controller) with at least 120GB for more than 1 game. (200 - 250 Euro)

8GB or 16GB RAM (100 - 200 Euro) Take G.Skill or Kingston with 1600Mhz upwards.

Graphics..hm, i would wait for the 880GTX. The 780GTX is very hungry in terms of power consumption and still very expensive. I guess the 880GTX will cost about 400 - 600 Euro. Since the graphics is always the most expensive part u should wait this maybe 1 month since it will have better performance and less power consumption thus u can use 1 or 2 years longer.

OS->i would suggest win8.1 for the best performance and long term support

IMHO
    Last edited by Mirasta; 15th September 2014 at 11:43.

well imo you could build a very decent capable of running AoC well and not only for much cheaper price then mentioned 1k euro

about 1-2 years ago i made configuration for like 300-400 euro - minus PSU and Cask cos had them from before - anyway it would be like only 40Euro more - and i made AoC run on ultra max full hd at 25-30 fps in stress situations like sieges etc

AoC still uses single core of CPU so there is no need to go for high mutli cores CPU as long as you will satisfy yourself like with not dozens of things running in background - i often listen to music, run AoC or even another game, and serf on www and my DUO Pentium CPU (ofc it has multithread) is more then enough
    ^^ ^^ its this one >>> http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...20+%40+2.90GHz

i got only 8 gigs of ddr3 - its more then enough and i still got slots to expand - MOBO didnt cost me much either - was like 80Euro for it (ddr3, sata3, usb3, pci-e3 incl. > all the goodies) and capable to put into it like better CPUs tho not latest ones - that progress...
    mobo ^^ http://www.gigabyte.pl/products/page...h77m-d3hrev_10

about GFX - i got in the end Ati Radeon 7750 1 gig ddr5 for less then 80 euro - which fullfilled more then all my expectations - thing with it is that it only feeds on MOBO connection slot - it doesnt require additionall power supply like other cards often need - not even one 6pin - amazing - since performence is astonishing - i think its about that its still very powerfull GFX for semi old games and latest one are now much more compatible with Radeons way of emulating GeForce CUDA cores - anyway i got like 800 of them cores on this GFX card and Nvidia at the time didnt give that much to their top monsters with price on the mraket for them ranging at about 1k euro + only for it ...

and thing which i spent the most on was like memory drives - since i wanted a SSD one and at the time they were quite expensive i had to take only like 64 gigs one - and got 1terabyte external one ( water and shock proof [military one] )

PSU units arent that hard to choose from i got Chieftec Athena - very good - still pulls it all after all that heavy exploitation - and its amazingly cheap and reliable

well thats about it - some peripheralls only but those can be basic - well i am pround from logitec mx518 mouse - its nothing special but works great

ok so assuming - for AoC you dont need that much of monster for PC and ofc for pure gaming exp i would rather recommend PlayStation 4 for example - since most of the games are designed for consoles exclusivly and or run fluent on em no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by dagdasamildanac View Post
    for pure gaming exp i would rather recommend PlayStation 4 for example - since most of the games are designed for consoles exclusivly and or run fluent on em no matter what

Uhm....consoles are..uhm...sooo useless. Very expensive for very low specs, bad graphics, bad performance, bad control since u cant play with keyboard and mouse, very expensive games, different consoles with exclusive games and so on. Nah...never ever again a console..ah...u need two consoles since there is xbox and playstation and if u want this nintendo crap^^ PC is always the top notch in gaming graphics, performance and price. But as always..IMHO! :P

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast