Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PvP and latency

I had pvped in aoc for years in 350-600ms+, if you are hitting a moving target, their position you see is actually 0.3sec+ before. You need to adjust and predict in order to land combo and it is very painful to play one hand range weapon. When you are chasing a better ping target, it is so crazy that sometime you actually need to run ahead the target to hit him lol. And the problem is you don't know the players are US or EU players so it doesn't have a fixed solution to predict/deal with it at all. And it is daunting that if you and your target are both landing a cc on each other at same time, you will be the one gonna be cced first. And that's why I never call myself a pvper, no way to win when players in same skill level but one with worse ping cannot even land white hits. Latency is extremely unforgiving in aoc combat system. If you watch the US players' videos, you know that they are playing like a single player game while I see ppl porting all the time. If you have 300ms+ latency, just play two hand range weapon/casters. AOC really need a dynamic system to adjust hit box according to latency. People just call me baddie because I skip all the white hits and only land the combo finisher with -20% dmg penalty. But I have no choice, I can only take advantage on the finisher increased hit box range and avoid taking dmg to try to land a white hit that gonna miss.
    Henryx Guardian
    Henryau Pom
    Henryz Barb
    Henryuki Hox
    Henryn Necro
    Crom
    - Henryx Age of Conan Youtube -
    - Henryx Age of Conan Blog -

super unforgiving latency, especially hoppers hopping around teleporting. AoC speed of combat is what sets it aside in requiring skill on an mmo... but that speedy combat also ruins itself when added to a crazy server location.

Hey ho.
    Funcom's Latency Detonation crits you for 4800 millisecond damage. Claret died.

Quote Originally Posted by henryabccba View Post
    I had pvped in aoc for years in 350-600ms+, if you are hitting a moving target, their position you see is actually 0.3sec+ before. You need to adjust and predict in order to land combo and it is very painful to play one hand range weapon. When you are chasing a better ping target, it is so crazy that sometime you actually need to run ahead the target to hit him lol. And the problem is you don't know the players are US or EU players so it doesn't have a fixed solution to predict/deal with it at all. And it is daunting that if you and your target are both landing a cc on each other at same time, you will be the one gonna be cced first. And that's why I never call myself a pvper, no way to win when players in same skill level but one with worse ping cannot even land white hits. Latency is extremely unforgiving in aoc combat system. If you watch the US players' videos, you know that they are playing like a single player game while I see ppl porting all the time. If you have 300ms+ latency, just play two hand range weapon/casters. AOC really need a dynamic system to adjust hit box according to latency. People just call me baddie because I skip all the white hits and only land the combo finisher with -20% dmg penalty. But I have no choice, I can only take advantage on the finisher increased hit box range and avoid taking dmg to try to land a white hit that gonna miss.
    Chessus Christ, you are playing with 350ms+? You're a god Henry, I will worship you until the end of my life.

I'm completly against doing any kind of hitbox modification because of latency issues. As I've already told funcom, i'd like to see warning at the character creation that tells you how bad you will be with the class you choose.
    I would not have rolled my dt if I knew my combos would miss when hitting a moving target. To be honest with you, i'm 100% sure that I'd be much more satisfied with the game if my main was a conq/guardian or any ranged class.

It's very frustrating, you know. I remember when I hit 80 with my DT I sent an e-mail to funcom asking them to reroll my character and make it a guardian (or conq, i do not remember) instead. I was just a kid btw =P.

My country is so **** that i'm not far from the USA servers but I still get 250-300ms.

350-450 ping since launch, it happens, it cant be changed unless i move to yankie land.

stop crying about ping already seriously. There is nothing funcom can do.

I would have liked that they done nothing at all about them. Like don't move them where community is less important.
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

Quote Originally Posted by henryabccba View Post
    I play on the same latency and it can be so incredibly frustrating and i too get trash talk tells like 'learn to land combos baddie' or 'cant you land white hits at all?'. Its funny sometimes i will start the finisher on a stationary player and they slightly move when the finisher has already started and it misses them.

And yes there are mechanics they introduce in modern mmo's to address latency, for example in rift if you attack someone when they are range in your screen, even if they are out of range the server reparses the hit and it will land on the target, of course its not a total fix, you still need to lead with abilities but no where near as much.

Another thing is double tapping kb, like i see the kb coming and i double tap and i begin the double tap animation in time and it looks like im resisting the kb but then i get landed on my ass anyway lol, quite unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by Geldour View Post
    you do not need to be a mastermind to realise that it is not possible.

How would a "catch up" thing work? if i run to the right it will put me a little bit further ahead yes? ok, so what about when i quickly swap to running left? that 40 foot teleport.
    I'd agree with you if we were talking about quake 1 or 2, where your projectiles were affected by the ping. Now take a look at CS; no matter the ping, if you aimed at somebody's head, they'd get hit sooner or later, unless they killed you first, which'd mean your projectile never got fired. Seems Valve invented magic.
    You should also upgrade from that 14.4k modem, since even my 4/1 ADSL produced much better ping in euro servers
    Last edited by SamHam; 18th July 2014 at 13:16.

Are you talking about that magic trick when a guy kills you when you shot first, just because he has a better ping? Or the same magic trick that doesn't kill the guy you were shooting at, when you heard the headshot and saw the spatter of blood? That one magic trick that makes CS says you only hit the guy once for 23 damage when you hit him four times?

That is not a good example of a catch-up system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Quote Originally Posted by SamHam View Post
    I'd agree with you if we were talking about quake 1 or 2, where your projectiles were affected by the ping. Now take a look at CS; no matter the ping, if you aimed at somebody's head, they'd get hit sooner or later, unless they killed you first, which'd mean your projectile never got fired. Seems Valve invented magic.
    You should also upgrade from that 14.4k modem, since even my 4/1 ADSL produced much better ping in euro servers
    ahh ok... but how does euro ping help an aussie? do you own a map? lol

also, i have the best possible internet for my area, 500gb adsl 2, $120 a month. sadly the internet in australia is not anything like in europe.
    Last edited by Geldour; 19th July 2014 at 20:22.

Nah, I was just baffled at the really bad ping you had and I guess, still have since the distance to the US servers from Australia looks roughly the same as from Europe to the US. Ah, well, I guess it's that pesky government of yours and its attitude towards technology :P
    My point stands about hit boxes and how they're so much better in other games, though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast