Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: attacking toon at NPC

Really, this kind of thread in 2014? EEEEEK

PvP servers are all about this kind of stuff, sorry. Problem is the low population and the amount of highly individualistic players. Are you even in a guild?
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    Personally i am even fine with an open ruleset. But the current one is not just open, it encourages abusive behaviour, since different situations and challenges are treated equally (or better, see guard abuse) regarding the outcome (e.g. to get xp and kills it does not matter if you are leader of a zerg, you hit target in duel, ambush, afk, busy or in self-defense). A very powerfull 80 in full t4 gear with pvp0 gives less xp and same amount of kills than a naked 80 who has pvp10. A maxxed lvl59 is far more dangerous than a levelling lvl70 in green gear, too...but could give you criminal and murder points (and no kill), if you are around lvl70.
    Honestly most players (if not all) don't give a damn about the XP on kills anymore since it's ridicule especially with todays low population and in comparaison to other means of XPing. Back in the days, ganking solo players was the fastest way to level up in PvP. Today, even if the population was what it was four years ago, it would takes ages compared to Bori, Minis and now daily quests.

People ganking at NPC frequently do it because it's an easy way to get kills and trigger a response. These player feed on that. You just need to see how long it takes them to send you a provocative tell when you don't react to their ganking.

On my first server guilds mattered. And PvP rules where unified to a guild. Some guilds didn't care how their players PvPed, others expected from their players some elegance while fighting. Most guild actually expected PvPers to fight with elegance thus thugs were all in a few guilds and obviously first target for everyone. Today this doesn't exist. Guilds are all the same, only diffrence is their numbers and the skill base they demand to accept an applicant. Attitude is a non factor.

Retaliation against solo gankers was hard, but then again easy to counter by grouping up to quest. If the gankers gathered up in a bigger guild, then it become harder to avoid but easier to retaliate.

Ideally players would groupe up with like minded players and stick together. But in 2014 it is a bit silly to complain about this with all the tools they've implemented to prevent ganking. Most NPC have guards, you have fast travel, SoTR, Murder points,etc. Sure they some of these features can be exploited, but it makes ganking (=killing many times and not just a coulpe) tedious.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

If they use it to just annoy people...all the more reason to put in countermeasures.

And i agree mostly, but this makes it only harsher when it happens...because you are not practiced in evasion and are not expecting it. Especially if you come from other games, where this behaviour is a "no go".

Again, with more situational consequences and statistics, you could have some kind of player regulation, so it would be known fast around the population (with good and bad consequences maybe and reactions expandable to npcs and merchants too) that player A spends most of his time killing easy targets, while player B killed several others who tried to jump him/her or player C who only fights 1 vs 1 or player D who never fights and just runs.

For example players could interpret this:
    - combats started to weaker/harder targets, combat against helpless (talking, afk, not resisting) victims
    - ran away from battle x times, caught a runner x times etc. etc.
    - fights in towns, fights in minigames, fights in event zones, etc.
    - support done in battle (heals, buffs, damage, ccs) etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-Crunch View Post
    I know I am having a sook but I can not understand why Funcom allows toons to be attacked whilst engaged with a NPC. I am all for pvp but where is the PVP in that.
    This is the very reason that Funcom put in the guards. Then all of the pvpers complained about the guards because they couldn't get their free kills.

play on a pve server
    Live Twitch Stream - Fury PvP - US East Coast Prime Time - Rated MA

Default Playing with yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Laethiel View Post
    play on a pve server
    why don't you go play with yourself.
    When attacking a toon that is engaged with a quest giver it is the same as playing with yourself. It is just you and your imaginary opponent.
    Maybe that sounds like fun to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-Crunch View Post
    why don't you go play with yourself.
    When attacking a toon that is engaged with a quest giver it is the same as playing with yourself. It is just you and your imaginary opponent.
    Maybe that sounds like fun to you.
    The rule set, guards, murder system and all the other nerfs and adjustments for PVP have driven tons from the game, I do understand your frustration but really your toon died, rez up, go get him, follow em and grief until they never log on again, or just laugh and get over it, its not the first time and won't be the last time your character dies to a cheap shot on a PVP server, if it were an easy fix I am sure they would have done so in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarspice View Post
    The rule set, guards, murder system and all the other nerfs and adjustments for PVP have driven tons from the game, I do understand your frustration but really your toon died, rez up, go get him, follow em and grief until they never log on again, or just laugh and get over it, its not the first time and won't be the last time your character dies to a cheap shot on a PVP server, if it were an easy fix I am sure they would have done so in 2008.
    But there is an easy fix:

1) when talking to an NPC, you get an invincibility buff that lasts for as long as you are in the chat with them
    2) you cannot talk to NPCs when in combat, so no using this to escape dying

Done?
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Quote Originally Posted by Petridish View Post
    But there is an easy fix:

1) when talking to an NPC, you get an invincibility buff that lasts for as long as you are in the chat with them
    2) you cannot talk to NPCs when in combat, so no using this to escape dying

Done?
    I know that I would have quit this game back in 2008 if my son had not been playing, I was only playing to spend time with him. I hated the ganking and the cheap shots and could not believe what jerks some people are. I am sure thousands of folks quit this game over stuff like this, so if in fact its easy to fix then why have they not done so over the last six years?
    Getting killed once at a quest giver is annoying, getting killed 50 times by a level 80 ranger when your playing your level 20 in Wild Lands is another. ITS ONE DEATH, get over it. YES IT SHOULD BE FIXED, but its also just annoying not game breaking like it used to be when there were hundreds of jerks around instead of just a handful.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarspice View Post
    The rule set, guards, murder system and all the other nerfs and adjustments for PVP have driven tons from the game
    And the anti-social behavior of the pvp crowd, such as being discussed in this thread, have driven tons away as well. What is your point?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast