Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: So What's the Next New MMO?

Litlle off subject but relevant. AoC at its best had nothing to do with content ingame and was all about the server and the community that pvpers created. That is the best way to have a great pvp game. If AoC did not dumb down the game, buff guards and Edit by Anzu: Moderation is not to be discussed on the forums. the game would still have its niche PvP crowd which would have kept this game alive much longer than it did. That the AoC Source crew stuck it out for so long after launch had nothing to do with Funcom but more to do with the community and competitive nature of pvpers.

Sandbox can be good for business if done right, there is proof in the past.
    Last edited by Anzu; 22nd November 2015 at 21:11.
    Raistbad/Backwoods/Dutchmaster/Rangerishard
    30,0000+ kills, 10,000+ mini, still bad
    Pre 1.04|Twitch|Post 1.04

Quote Originally Posted by chh1929 View Post
    I had a taste of Elder Scrolls Online (BURP). So whats the next distraction coming along??
    Completely ignoring the last 15 pages of conversation.. the MMO's on my radar are EQ Next, Camelot Unchained, Warhammer 40k Eternal Crusade, and Star Citizen. Total War: Warhammer isn't an mmo, but it certainly has my interest. I've always been a fan of the total war series - if only they could implement a functioning multiplayer campaign...

Im hoping Shroud of the Avatar will be the next big thing

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

From Richard Garriot who designed and made all the Ultimas and Ultima Online. Its a sandbox game, not class based, you can train or untrain skills as you play, has awesome crafting system, player housing and decoration, player owned towns, villages and cities with their own rulesets (PVP/PVE) etc.

Its still in alpha- but you can test play it, and it improves leaps and bounds each patch. Reckon it will be out final form by end of this year, they have said that Jun/Jul will be the Beta patch and they will stop wiping servers then.

There is a cash shop, but its not even close to pay to win. You can buy housed, decorations, vanity items, but most of these are craftable in game anyway.

Just go play BDO, you know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey29 View Post
    Im hoping Shroud of the Avatar will be the next big thing

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com...
    I checked out some gameplay and twitch videos ; iMO ~ waaaay too much work to get anywhere in-game. Example - When you have zero indicators of which NPCs give you quests AND when you finally DO find one, you have to use the correct phrasing to get the response you need ~ that's just too much. I applaud sandbox MMOs for all the work they put in to them, but SoA is a bit over the top for the limited time many of the people i know have to actually game. Spending 2-3 hours just in travel and NPCs interaction = no fun.

Basically all the opposite reasons I chose AoC.

New management just hit the streets for GW2 and many new PvP updates coming ~ they usually DELIVER what they advertise in GW2 updates.

"Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Quote Originally Posted by Mustaine View Post
    I checked out some gameplay and twitch videos ; iMO ~ waaaay too much work to get anywhere in-game. Example - When you have zero indicators of which NPCs give you quests AND when you finally DO find one, you have to use the correct phrasing to get the response you need ~ that's just too much. I applaud sandbox MMOs for all the work they put in to them, but SoA is a bit over the top for the limited time many of the people i know have to actually game. Spending 2-3 hours just in travel and NPCs interaction = no fun.

Basically all the opposite reasons I chose AoC.

New management just hit the streets for GW2 and many new PvP updates coming ~ they usually DELIVER what they advertise in GW2 updates.

That sounds a bit like what I used to hear about Everquest. It is an entirely different kind of game that isn't seen much these days and caters to a more specific kind of crowd.

Default Pantheon : Rise of the Fallen

I checked out Shroud of the Avatar and am now keeping an eye on this one. I played all of the original Ultima's growing up and then Ultima Online in the late 90's/early 2000's and have always liked them. Sadly, I had no idea this was even in the works until reading this thread a few days ago. I'm glad I did.

Another title that I have been watching over the last couple of years is Pantheon : Rise of the Fallen. Link : http://www.pantheonmmo.com/ It's being marketed as an "old school" MMO with elements of the modern MMO games and is being led by one of the original EverQuest creators. So far it is looking fantastic to me.

I prefer games that take time to play and progress in. I like death penalties and longer travel times. I like having an in depth crafting system with meaning. I enjoy epic style quests that take weeks and/or months to complete. These are a few things that I have come to miss in most MMO's out there today. I understand time constraints and such as I too have become an older gamer now in my mid 40's and do not have the time to play games like I used to however I do not want my games to be "dumbed down" or made "easy-mode" either because I just end up getting bored with them at that point.

I probably fit into that niche of "old school" gamers. I played EverQuest from 1999 to 2004 and then EverQuest II from 2004 to late 2014 before leaving "for good". I still log in once in a while but don't actively play it. The game had just become so easy that it just felt like a waste of time to me. I was no longer getting a sense of accomplishment from playing, and slowly drifted away.
    Last edited by Hrulfr; 7th March 2016 at 18:00.
    Hrulfr - Bear Shaman of Crom

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    That sounds a bit like what I used to hear about Everquest. It is an entirely different kind of game that isn't seen much these days and caters to a more specific kind of crowd.
    Even EQ has changed to be much more user friendly nowadays. Which may be driving a desire for a more hardcore game since EQ really isn't anymore. Personally I would never go back to that. Once was enough.

Been watching some gameplay videos of BDO and SotA and so far my reaction is... pass. But then short of AoC 2, someone willing to drop 100 million or so into TSW to improve and expand it or a new game built on the same tenets of AoC and/or TSW I'm not interested in much of anything atm.

Edit: Hah. Hrulfr says the same thing as I'm typing this.
    Last edited by Raeil; 7th March 2016 at 18:04.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415