Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying new AOC computer - need advice

maybe take opinion of FUNCOM CEO as well
    {Circle of Eternity}

Ramanli 80 DT,Erifylli 80 Guard,Amarylli 80 Demo
    Denmeth 80 Barb,Adiasa 80 HoX,Dovackhin 80 BS,Psalmodia 80 PoM
    Dyssebeia 80 DT,Polyterpi 80 Conq,Marleficus 80 ToS,Klymeni 80 Sin

Goofy Tactics for AoC :http://www.youtube.com/user/sardanapal01?feature=mhee
    RP stuff: http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=180714

BLOOD DAWN-AQUILONIA SERVER FOR EVAH !!

Quote Originally Posted by sardanapal View Post
    maybe take opinion of FUNCOM CEO as well
    he is too buisy plotting and scheming against Crom, also laughing maniacally at patch 4.2 release notes
    Retired

thank you all for your imput.
    Retired

Here some suggestions:

SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo Series
    120GB might be a bit tight especially if AOC should be installed on the SSD too, which I would recommend.

OS: Think about Windows 8. It's suppoes to handle SSDs even better than Windows 7 does.

Display: 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M 1920x1200

I'd recommend a GTX 780 ti since I'm a nvidia guy and AoC loves nvidia cards. But that's just me.

And I wouldn't recommend to use Win 8, unless you like the UI or some particular feature it won't offer you anything. And even XP supports SSDs just fine, it just doesn't automatically adjust the settings like win7/8 does

A 120gb SSD is enough for AoC + Windows and a few more goodies but since bigger SSDs are also faster I can't advise against getting a bigger drive if your wallet is ok with that. And the HDD you picked is a beast anyway, it's actually what I use for my games, AoC included. Top notch speed (on par with the best Raptors when it comes to purely seqential reads/writes) and dead quiet (and cheap! )
    Last edited by kalston; 15th May 2014 at 12:52.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Of course the 780ti is a good card but it is three times the cost of what the thread starters suggestion is, the r9 270 from amd.

Slith, you might wanna check the pricing for the 240GB Version of that Crucial-SSD.
    I've seen it for about 89Euros during the last few weeks, thats a fine upgrade for 30Euros compared to the 120GB one - worth a shot since you'll want to install load-heavy games like AoC or BF4 on that SSD to decrease loading times SIGNIFICANTLY. Read again: S-I-G-N-I-F-I-C-A-N-T-L-Y.
    I also agree with the guys saying Win7 is THE OS or with your choice of graphics cards.

Regarding CPU I'd rather advise you to buy the Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3, which is basically an I5 without integrated graphics, but with Hyperthreading.
    So basically for the invest of +20Euros you get the performance of an I7-4770, even if base-frequency is 100Mhz lower than with your I5-4670.
    This choice might not affect AoC too much, but it will help with any kind of cpu-stressing other application.
    Last edited by Maelkjar; 15th May 2014 at 13:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Of course the 780ti is a good card but it is three times the cost of what the thread starters suggestion is, the r9 270 from amd.
    Indeed, I don't follow the news regarding AMD GPUs at all so I didn't even check how much this one costs lol, but then I guess there's cheaper nvidia cards that could do the job as well (GTX 770, 760 etc). If he wants to go nvidia that is, his choice.

@Kalstoon: As much as I'm an NV-Fanboy, but they are usually a bit or a lot more expensive than comparable Radeon-Cards. In most games the R9 270 would be about on par with the GTX760, although is nearly a third cheaper.
    Dunno if there's gonna be a difference with AoC, though since AoC seems to be using high end GFX cards about as efficient as multi-core cpus which would be pretty bad.
    Last edited by Maelkjar; 15th May 2014 at 13:51.

Yeah, AoC is all about single threading CPU performance either way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast