Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Game Director Letter – April 2014 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    Opinions like these really make me wonder... What kind of tasteless person do you have to be to prefer old world armors to Khitai ones?

The only mistake made with Khitai gear was making some of it too flamboyant and bright; other than that the sets are incredibly inspired, unique and even somewhat realistic. The old stuff was mostly silly and impractical, from the same style as Frazetta's art and the Schwarzenegger movies. Good riddance horns, and welcome gigantic headwear and puffy pants I say!
    Is it so hard to understand that this is Conan and not SIMS Middle Ages? You may want to check out Slith's interview with the game's vision owner and original GD. Hope this helps in understanding that the gear had to be silly, impractical and corny, in order to fit with the game's vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaute Godager
    1. why there so many female mobs in the game? It isn't true to the REH's world that, for example, Nemedian army is full of female warriors. Valeria is rather a rare breed of Hyborian adventurer and yet zones and dungeons are full of such warrior women.

2 reasons: a) Because we wanted to have more tits and ass in the game. Trueness to the letter was sacrificed to being true to the spirit of tits and ass ;-p

To me Conan was, in my youth, the essence with how good it would be to be a grown man if life was simple. You fight. You live free. You destroy corruption. You travel. You form great friendship. The women are all beautiful and though they try, they can never resist you, in fact - secretly they all want you. It is the essence of adolescence male fantasy. It made me fall asleep with a grin on my face remembering I could wake the day after to express that in a game.
    Oh, and you may also consider the way REH treats female characters in his novels. Or how often he uses the term "supple" when describing women. No, this is not high-brow literature. This is pulp and as such, it demands a pulpy visual representation.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Old World gear looks million x better than Khiti gear. But the raid will be in Dragon Spine so will probably have that look.

I don't like Zodiac. I don't like doing long raids just to get gear and be able to compete better in the content I do enjoy. Pvp gear should be stronger than pve gear in the pvp setting. I don't understand where the confusion is here. It is a simple and fair concept.

Players shouldn't be forced to raid if they don't want to raid. I shouldn't be murdered by a demo that wants to click two insta casts and take 75% of my life. (I know I'm stretching here just saying). Before the t1 change we would watch a t4 tos get 40 plus kills just by standing next to people with Stormfield running. That's just not a balance.

Funcom saw this, changed it. I think t5 should be better than t4.

But if you are going to do this, you have to make pvp gear too. All you would have to do really is give people t1 gear at pvp 0, lower the other tiers.

Also, I have a pvp 8 sin, pvp 7 barb, several pvp 3 to 4 toons without bori. It does take time to get pvp gear, longer than getting t4 raid gear.

#Idontwanttoraid

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf-of-Evil View Post
    Judging by your rage statements, you had the triple C effect.

You were Camped, Cried, Changed servers.

Instead of figuring out a way to fix your poblems, you now bash anything pvp, just look at your posts. You made a satement, that was flawed, and now reap what you have sown.

Giggity.
    LOL!!

maybe im biased, but the pro pvp posts seem to have more sanity to them

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    I agree, I've never been a fan of the Khitai armor visuals ever since they came out 4 years ago.

Thank you vanity tab!
    Some I like, some I don't, but nothing can compare to aquilonian style to me ^^
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

I used to dislike how khitan gear looks, but in the end half of the sets look amazing, like the brittle blades one, or the scarlet circle one for mages.

And yes old world sets look rather generic and uninspired, at the exception of the acheronian one ofc <3, while in Khitai most sets are original and dare the non conventional, which is a big +1 in my book.

Plus, it's Age of Conan, but if you've read the book, you should know that Conan was mainly a traveller and he did not hang around in Cimmeria for most of his life, he spent loads of time in other countries with other cultures, adapting all the time, becoming thief, mercenary, soldier, etc.

So it makes sense to me that the players do not stick to Conan's homeland but follow his travelling path in foreign countries.

So i hope the gear from Palace of Cetriss will also be original and inspired.

You can argue about armor taste, both the old world and khitai have examples of both good and bad (from battlemech to wasteland warriors in power armors or pink ninjas, swords bigger than your char as bad examples to socks, shirts, chainmail and fitting faction armors on the good side).
    My main problem with khitai gear and the engine revamp is, that both clipping has increased and model hooks got different. This makes it impossible to combine many new armor pieces (oh...and different colour palettes too)

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Is it so hard to understand that this is Conan and not SIMS Middle Ages?
    Is it that hard to understand that what you think of as Conan isn't Conan, but is in fact a shitty art style that got associated with Conan in the 80's thanks to Frazetta and the Conan movies, rather than what REH would've envisioned in the 30's?

Whether you like it or not, the world of Conan is pseudo-historical; every country and people in it correspond to real-life history - Nordheim to ancient Scandinavia, Aquilonia/Nemedia to ancient Rome, Khitai to ancient China etc.

The difference is that there are markedly less loin cloths, bare chests and horned helmets in REH's Conan.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    Is it that hard to understand that what you think of as Conan isn't Conan, but is in fact a shitty art style that got associated with Conan in the 80's thanks to Frazetta and the Conan movies, rather than what REH would've envisioned in the 30's?

Whether you like it or not, the world of Conan is pseudo-historical; every country and people in it correspond to real-life history - Nordheim to ancient Scandinavia, Aquilonia/Nemedia to ancient Rome, Khitai to ancient China etc.

The difference is that there are markedly less loin cloths, bare chests and horned helmets in REH's Conan.
    Really? The Conan books (and yes I do mean the original REH) I read are full of loin cloths, bare chests and horned helmets (well, maybe not the latter). On the other hand Khitai is barely mentioned and we don't hear about tiger/wolf/lizard mounts or dildo helmets (fearless souls). I actually only read Conan comics AFTER reading REH (and not many of them of them mind you). The only thing I saw before reading REH books was the 1982 film (fun and I love it but it's not really REH's Conan).

Funcom did not always stick to the original REH material anyway, be it Turan or Khitai or w/e they had other sources of inspiration than just the books Just check Gaute interview. Notice how he says that he wouldn't have gone for Khitai if the game had been a success and if he was thus free to do anything he wanted - Khitai was basically an attempt to save the game with the Asian market (I think there actually was Korean servers at some point)
    Last edited by kalston; 6th May 2014 at 08:51.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    By contrast, if you agree to a PvP power creep, it is hard not to accept Bibik's argument that players should get viable PvP equipment through PvE, since that actually reduces entry barriers for new players to participate in PvP.
    Sure I agree with you PvE gear should be viable but what I want to point is that for PvP case PvE gear should not be ever superior to PvP gear.

What happened in past with T4 gear was simply ridiculous. Any noob who spent two or three months in game could have better gear for PvP than players who tried hard for 4+ years... well it is not even ridiculous it is another dimension - its ABSURD
    Xuhotl - arcimage of the city of Xuthal in service of great army Futilez - HoX PvP lvl 10
    Bordhi - Khitai legionary - DT PvP lvl 7
    Bahary - vampire and your nightmare - Lotus Sin PvP lvl 7
    Shiwan - the last of Corrags - retired noob Barb PvP lvl 8

What Shiwan said should be obvious.
    PvE follows a completely different way and cycle of development. With different progression needs and expectations and different work needed. It even takes different approaches in design and marketing to be successfull.

So it would be foolish to assume that the tiers in pve and pvp should (and could) be the same. This assumption has lead to the reduction of players, to the unification (in a bad sense) of players and the power gap driving off new pvpers once they reach 80.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 6th May 2014 at 10:08.